Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adams invites Labour, Greens to join SF in 'new alliance'

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It highlights the impoverished nature of the Irish Landscape.

Sinn Fein are not ready for government. Michael McDowell exposed Gerry Adams very badly in the Junior Leaders debate 2007. Adams had no policy on health, justice, transport or the economy. His party's raison d'etre is the jingoisitic rabble rousing, which has been synonomous with Sinn Fein for years.

The Green's are a disgrace, and it shows how shortsighted Adams is that he would want that pseudo PD shower in the Government with them. The Greens have propped up the worst Government in the past 20 years, having spouted nonsense about previous administrations since the early 1990s , which were far more successful. Furthermore, Gormley, Cuffe, White and potentially Gogarty are all gonners. The Greens, will not be handed any sway in a "balance of power" situation.

Labour and Sinn Fein are not a million miles removed, only Labour have a more respectable following, and since 1992 have drifted further and further towards the right. Under this alliance, which wont happen, Gilmore would be Taoiseach, however so many vested interests in one room (the Nation, the Unions, the Environment etc) would see this Government fall within weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I'd also expect Joe Higgins and Clare Daly to get in for SP. Also Brid Smith or Joan Collins will get in, they polled 2,000 votes each which they will combine when only 1 of them runs next time.

From canvassing in Dublin South Central (for Frank McNamera (says so while covering my face with my hands :)), I realised how personal the Collins vote was. She was commended on the doorsteps for work on Domestic Violence in the home, and her work for single and unmarried parents in some very deprived areas of Dublin.

Smith had always polled very poorly under the SWP banner, and never even got close to a Council seat. The PBP thing really worked, and while im not sure of her "local work", I believe there must be something personal, otherwise most wouldnt vote for a candidate of the militant hard left. As a result, if Collins' vote was combined with Smith's, then the left would be in with a major shout of winning a seat. However, if the votes are very personal, then there may be no way that a combination would occur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

FTA69 wrote: »
    Sinn Féin would sell their grannies to achieve power, you're only codding yourself if you think they would rule out coalition with anyone.

They most certainly wolud rule out a coalition with FG, no doubt. Before SF move into any coalition the membership must ratify such as a decision by way of a special Árd Fheis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭brosps

Advertisement