Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howto Format floppy to FAT16?

• 21-02-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

I want to format a floppy to fat16. From what i've seen I cannot do this using the format tool in XP.
    Anybody know how I go about doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiousity , Why FAT16 instead of the normal floppy system of FAT 12 ?

was someting on sysinternals about putting NTFS on a floppy but the file index took nearly ~385KB IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Floppies never use FAT16. They are FAT12.

At command line:
    format a:

You can't format a floppy in NTFS. The FS overhead is 20Mbyte. If you format a removable MO drive disc in NTFS you have to unmount it in Disk manager. NTFS drive letter volumes can't be ejected.

you could in theory mount a floppy as a "Removable Drive" rather than as a floppy and then format in any FS that can fit. I've formated SD cards and USB devices as FAT16, FAT32, EXT2(even in XP) and once in NTFS.

I can't imagine why you would want a FAT16 floppy.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Watty>format /?
    Formats a disk for use with Windows XP.

FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/A:size] [/C] [/X]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/F:size]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q]
    FORMAT volume [/Q]

volume          Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
                      mount point, or volume name.
      /FS:filesystem  Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS).
      /V:label        Specifies the volume label.
      /Q              Performs a quick format.
      /C              NTFS only: Files created on the new volume will be compressed
                      by default.
      /X              Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.  All opened
                      handles to the volume would no longer be valid.
      /A:size         Overrides the default allocation unit size. Default settings
                      are strongly recommended for general use.
                      NTFS supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K.
                      FAT supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K,
                      (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).
                      FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K,
                      (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).

Note that the FAT and FAT32 files systems impose the
                      following restrictions on the number of clusters on a volume:

FAT: Number of clusters <= 65526
                      FAT32: 65526 < Number of clusters < 4177918

Format will immediately stop processing if it decides that
                      the above requirements cannot be met using the specified
                      cluster size.

NTFS compression is not supported for allocation unit sizes
                      above 4096.

/F:size         Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (1.44)
      /T:tracks       Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
      /N:sectors      Specifies the number of sectors per track.

"FAT12 remains in use on all common floppy disks, including 1.44MB one."

If the drive is a floppy drive Windows will use FAT12 format by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

out of curiousity , Why FAT16 instead of the normal floppy system of FAT 12 ?

Iv found this question on every thread regarding this subject on the web. Basically its for studying the properties of FAT16 (for college).

Anyway, I've sorted it out; What I've done is create a partition on an external HD with FAT32 as well as FAT16. Sorted!

Thanks for the replies!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://doc.sch130.nsc.ru/www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsfloppy.shtml
    How NT Prevents NTFS on Floppies
    Windows NT actually goes to some lengths to prevent a user from creating an NTFS floppy disk. The first line of prevention is in the format utility. If a user specifies an NTFS format, format checks to make sure that the media is not a floppy. Then it checks to see if the medium is large enough to fit "minimum" NTFS on-disk data structures. Finally, it attempts to make an NTFS log file that is 2MB in size - an operation that will obviously fail on a 1.44MB floppy.

How It Works
    Using SoftICE for Windows NT I was able to trick format into creating an NTFS floppy disk with a log file that is only 256KB in size. This is large enough for NTFS to be able to function, and leaves 1MB of space on the floppy after NTFS structures have been created. To format an NTFS floppy, NTFSFlp copies the image of the NTFS floppy I created onto other floppy disks.

but back to the original problem , just get a USB flash drive if you want to play with formats and stuff - floppies are very slow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also very limited. Not enough space to experiment with defragmentation and the properties of the different FS.

Tesco also had 2 or 4 Euro USB SD card readers that look like an USB flash drive so an SD card can be used physically and SW like a USB or removable hard disk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement