Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the public sector bashers, I refuse 2 be made feel guilty for making a good choice

Options
  • 21-02-2009 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I am fed up with being scapegoated for the country's ills.

I am constantly hearing "You don't know how great you have it with a secure job, great pension etc.......

The answer is........... Yes I do know how lucky I am and hell yes I appreciate it.

And here's the thing, that's one of the major reasons I joined the public service three years ago.

I was told I was mad by my friends I was mad and that I could earn much more in private sector, which I could have.

But instead of thinking about what I could earn now I thought ahead. I thought ahead to the day when things wouldn't be so good and I knew that a public service job was the safest option long term.

This is why I refuse to be made feel guilty for having a relatively secure if not brilliantly paid job (26k).

I made my choice. I chose the public sector. I thought long term. And damn it, I made the right decision and I make no apologies for that !

I went through a very tough interview process, went back to learn Irish and went up against 250 other candidates and I got that secure job. Again I refuse to be made feel guilty.

As for the levy, I am more than prepared to pay my levy and do my bit and more again if needed down the line.

I favour freezing increments for as long as is needed.

I favour making public servants more sackable because yes there are people in the public service at all levels who I would sack today starting with the fat arse do nothings at the top as followed by those lower down the ranks. If you do a good job, you have nothing to worry about, if you are a lazy f###er..... Adios !

So no, I don't live in a bubble and yes I do know how lucky I am but I make no apologies for it.

Again, I made my choice.

To those whinging about how great we have it, why didn't you join the public service if you think it is great ? You had your chance when times were good.

I will make no apologies for making a good and sensible choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Why would i want to work in a place where the government could cut my wages in bad times and give me paltry pay raises in boom times just to appease me.

No thanks i'll take my chances in the private sector. More money, more mobility, more everything. Somewhere that actually pays good money and dioesnt just employ spin doctors to make out that they pay well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Good honest post, but the thread title is inflammatory.

Why didnt I opt for a job in the public service??? Tried to in 2000 and despite passing all tests with flying colours and getting nothing but positive feedback about my interviews I didnt get the job.

The son of an existing staff member did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

population wrote: »

Why didnt I opt for a job in the public service??? Tried to in 2000 and despite passing all tests with flying colours and getting nothing but positive feedback about my interviews I didnt get the job.

You are right about the thread title so I toned it down after a few minutes of calm reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Lol

Are you sure you are a public servant:D

Just kidding

Lol

Are you sure you are a public servant:D

Just kidding

Yes, some of actually can see the bigger picture.... but there are others among us..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

OP is irrelevant. No one is scapegoating. It's a straight financial choice - can we afford to pay the public wage bill, yes or no. The answer is No.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I am constantly hearing "You don't know how great you have it with a secure job, great pension etc.......

The answer is........... Yes I do know how lucky I am and hell yes I appreciate it.

And here's the thing, that's one of the major reasons I joined the public service three years ago.

I was told I was mad by my friends I was mad and that I could earn much more in private sector, which I could have.

But instead of thinking about what I could earn now I thought ahead. I thought ahead to the day when things wouldn't be so good and I knew that a public service job was the safest option long term.

This is why I refuse to be made feel guilty for having a relatively secure if not brilliantly paid job (26k).

I made my choice. I chose the public sector. I thought long term. And damn it, I made the right decision and I make no apologies for that !

I went through a very tough interview process, went back to learn Irish and went up against 250 other candidates and I got that secure job. Again I refuse to be made feel guilty.

As for the levy, I am more than prepared to pay my levy and do my bit and more again if needed down the line.

I favour making public servants more sackable because yes there are people in the public service at all levels who I would sack today starting with the fat arse do nothings at the top as followed by those lower down the ranks. If you do a good job, you have nothing to worry about, if you are a lazy f###er..... Adios !

So no, I don't live in a bubble and yes I do know how lucky I am but I make no apologies for it.

Again, I made my choice.

To those whinging about how great we have it, why didn't you join the public service if you think it is great ? You had your chance when times were good.

+ 2 (told my husband about this and he agreed also).

MG wrote: »
    No one is scapegoating.

Are you you serious? Please tell me you are not serious ? No one ? No one at all ?

And every word is relevent as I am sick to death of being attacked over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

There is a huge amount of waste in the public sector, no one can dispute this fact. The private sector creates the wealth and picks up the tab and pays for this waste. I dont know what sector you work in but if you are one of the many inefficient civil servants in your job and provide no benefit for the 26K you collect each year then you are fair game for bashing.

A lot of people out there including the 100,000 who were marching in Dublin today are still living in a dream. The reality is that the government are not even considering reversing the pension levy rather they are already looking at phase 2 which will involve staff cuts in public service and tax increases for all. This situation is going to get a whole lot worse.

hughs wrote: »
    but if you are one of the many inefficients civil servants in your job and provide no benefit for the 26K you collect each year then you are fair game for bashing.

"If" being the key word.

Read what I said about such ineffecient people before tarring me with their brush.

I have nothing but distain for the arse scratchers as they give me their reputation.

• Advertisement

A lot of people out there including the 100,000 who were marching in Dublin today are still living in a dream.

I am simply amazed at your ability to know the minds of 100,000 people. Truly amazing.

I am simply amazed at your ability to know the minds of 100,000 people. Truly amazing.

And he knows all this from the comfort of his student bed too. It's an amazing ability.

Hughs, you state "The reality is that the government are not even considering reversing the pension levy rather they are already looking at phase 2 which will involve staff cuts in public service and tax increases for all"

What are you basing this on? A cite is required.

Are you you serious? Please tell me you are not serious ? No one ? No one at all ?

And every word is relevent as I am sick to death of being attacked over this.

The public sector is not being scapegoated or attacked for the country's ills. The banking sector probably is when you hear of the front line staff being verbally attacked.

The public sector feel like they are being scapegoated, which is different from actually being scapegoated. Public anger towards the public sector is driven by their response to the crisis rather than their causing it.

*Honey* wrote: »
    And he knows all this from the comfort of his student bed too. It's an amazing ability.

Hughs, you state "The reality is that the government are not even considering reversing the pension levy rather they are already looking at phase 2 which will involve staff cuts in public service and tax increases for all"

I'm guessing it's based on the reality of a 20Bn deficit and the IMF looking on

"If" being the key word.

Read what I said about such ineffecient people before tarring me with their brush.

I have nothing but distain for the arse scratchers as they give me their reputation.

OK - first of all, should have read your full post, apologise. However, can you not understand why people feel they want to bash you when every dog on the street knows that we are wasting billions in the public sector.
    I'm not being smart but I don't know what they want. If they do not realise the seriousness of the deficit in the public finances, they are living in a dream world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The public sector is not being scapegoated or attacked for the country's ills. The banking sector probably is when you hear of the front line staff being verbally attacked.

Been there! :(
    Hey folks, the lowly cashier with a Leaving Cert and on 24k isn't responsible for you not being able to pay your mortgage. Or your four credit cards or your car loan for a car you didn't need and dropped 10k in depreciation the first year you owned it

You'd have seen in the press:
    "We own you now"
    "You're lucky to have a job"

Maybe you do own a share of this bank and I'd agree I'm happy to have a job but it's attacking the wrong people. Those qoutes are mild tbh to what I've seen.
    I don't post on boards slamming civil servants and take no joy in seeing brickies losing their job. Though they badly needed to drop their rates from a euro a brick ;)

People are in a dream all right, blaming every sector but themselves.
    So I tend to avoid these posts and realy, every thread is much the same as the next

I'm not a student. You are mixing me up with someone else. I work in the private sector.

It is obvious. As a country there is a limit to the amount of finance we can raise on the international money markets. We have a huge deficit and are competing with other countries for funding. The cost of our debt has already increased significantly above Germany. If we continue to spend recklessly, the money markets will simply stop lending to us and the government will have to step aside and let the IMF sort out the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

If it was exams for the civil service and you think that guy got a job coz he was the son of an existing staff member, that's complete rubbish!!

And couldn't agree more with the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

What do you work at?
    I am sick to death of being attacked over this.

Noone is being attacked for being public sector, only public sector workers who are moaning now about how tough they have it and talk about how come their being screwed when the private sector arn't and other such bs
    Yenwod wrote: »
    And couldn't agree more with the OP

He's saying something you want to hear, hardly surprising you agree

colly10 wrote: »
    He's saying something you want to hear, hardly surprising you agree
    No I agree with him as I too am a civil servant who took a pay cut to get a secure job and now get critisized that I have one.

I have no problems with the pay freeze and definitely think it should be easier to sack people in the public service coz there are a lot of lazy f*ckers in it.

And although I think the levy should be amended, I am willing to take that hit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

How do you know that? The public sector is already paid better than the private sector, as confirmed by the ESRI

No I agree with him as I too am a civil servant who took a pay cut to get a secure job and now get critisized that I have one.

Who is criticising you? If your not giving out about how unfair the levy is then what could someone be criticising you about?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

OP - no one is scapegoating the public service. It is overpaid, inefficient, and huge waste of taxpayers resources. A huge amount of services offered could be delivered online with a much better and cheaper service.

Fair play if you had any "foresight" a few years ago. Your comment about the pay aspect though is complete nonsense. It's well reported from a number of sources that public sector pay is on average 35% more than equivalent private sector pay.

At the end of the day, the public sector is a colossal waste of money with v little return. It's definitely time for an overhaul and it's long overdue.

I'm not a student. You are mixing me up with someone else. I work in the private sector.

Quite correct, apologies... I did get you mixed up with someone else.

colly10 wrote: »
    Who is criticising you? If your not giving out about how unfair the levy is then what could someone be criticising you about?
    like I said in my previous post, I think the levy should be amended. I do find it unfair...but I'm not saying it should be completely abolished.

I've had many criticisms of "at least you have a job..." etc. I have one coz it was my choice to go into the public service so like the OP said, don't try to make me feel guilty about it. Just coz I have a job, doesnt mean I have to roll over and take everything so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Just coz I have a job, doesnt mean I have to roll over and take everything so easily.

This is a v fair point. You obviously don't like it and don't have to take it so easily..

Nevertheless, this needs to happen for a multitude of reasons.., and I hope for one that regardless of how the public sector reacts, the Government push ahead with these tough reforms. More reform is need though, and everyone is going to have to take a hit..

like I said in my previous post, I think the levy should be amended. I do find it unfair...but I'm not saying it should be completely abolished.

I've had many criticisms of "at least you have a job..." etc. I have one coz it was my choice to go into the public service so like the OP said, don't try to make me feel guilty about it. Just coz I have a job, doesnt mean I have to roll over and take everything so easily.

It doesn't, but it's the private sector workers that pay your wages, now if their all being let go then theres no wages to pay you. The government are your employer and see that they can no longer afford to keep paying, but rather than getting rid of everyone their making cuts like levies.
    So whether or not you feel that you don't have to roll over and take it, the money is not there, I can't understand why people don't get this.

Things are going to get much worse, levies is only the start, theres no choice here. People striking etc only makes the current situation worse

Again, I made my choice.

This is all well and good but what were the 100,000 protesting about? Maybe it's them you should be blaming for any bad press the public sector gets

This is all well and good but what were the 100,000 protesting about? Maybe it's them you should be blaming for any bad press the public sector gets

Exactly, noone has an issue with the OP as the OP is not moaning about how bad he has it, it's only the public sector who moan about how bad they have it that wreck my head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

+ 2 (told my husband about this and he agreed also).

Oh well if your husband says so lets all stop arguing... People, or more specifically public servants, please do pay attention to the IMF rumours and because in the forseeable future they could be deciding yours.. If you contintue to keep kicking and screaming about the levy which will see a relatively small loss, yes SMALL (in comparison to the many others losing their jobs), then you WILL suffer further in the long run. We are hurtling towards the situation Iceland finds itself and as i and others have mentioned before, there have been murmorings about IMF intervention.

Advertisement