Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I challenge any Psychic on boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Oryx wrote: »
    Youve kinda made my point for me if youve formed the opinions below from one tv show. I have a lot of time for Derren Brown. I think his show is amazing. But its a tv show.

By your logic then, you should also lock up acupuncuturists, reiki practitioners, economic consultants, U2, and quite a few politicians. :)
    pH wrote: »
    While I feel we're on the same side there's an important caveat to the above.

Derren is a magician, and magicians don't really do the things they pretend to do, that's a really important distinction. Derren made it appear to us (the TV viewer) that he could tell a woman what her dream was. There is a big difference from that and actually telling a woman what her dream was the night before - in the same way there's a huge difference between actually sawing a woman in half and putting her back together and appearing to saw a woman in half - if you get my point.

Derren doesn't actually do any of the things in his show - he's a magician - he just makes it look like he does ;)

Okay, you'll have to enlighten me as to how he made it "appear to us", you must have some inside info. Don't psychics make it appear that they can actually do the things they do... What they do could be considered a magician's act surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dlofnep wrote: »
    Any Psychic on boards.ie - I challenge them to prove their claims to me, either in person or on the forum.

This is how it will work.

You will firstly state exactly what it is you can do, in what detail, and specify what information you require. I will then verify whether or not what you have said is valid information or simply, just subtle cold reading.

I doubt any psychics on here have the courage to actually back up their claims, but should you do - I am waiting to prove how much of a fraud you are.

I'd like to have a slice of this.

This is how it will work for me.

I will pay the psychic/medium whatever

1000e for the reading...

That's right 1000e and all you have to do is tell me ONE thing you couldn't possibly know about my past, that's right ONE THING.

If you fail, I get the "reading" for free. lucky me eh :rolleyes:

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    That's a strawman arguement.We can see how a plumber works in physical reality,but we can't with a psychic. The validity of a plumbers work is empirically verifiable,a psychics is not.You can't compare the two.

Make a Strawman challange get a strawman arguement.

You do know you need to get up off your arses to challange any psychic . Doing over the internet wont prove anything . If you are real "skeptics" you would know this . Otherwise you are pretenders .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Make a Strawman challange get a strawman arguement.

You do know you need to get up off your arses to challange any psychic . Doing over the internet wont prove anything . If you are real "skeptics" you would know this . Otherwise you are pretenders .

But then we would have to devote the same amount of time to the mud angel from craggy island and other delusions/fantasies.

But then we would have to devote the same amount of time to the mud angel from craggy island and other delusions/fantasies.

Well if you are not willing to put in the time then oviously you know nothing about it so whats the point of arguing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get the point you are trying to make, it has been made before, but with reference to purple dragons in the living room, I think. You can only investigate things which have evidence that can be studied. The example of plumbers was used, which is not the best comparison, imo. More apt, perhaps would be examining the benefit the use of a new type of pipe in plumbing. We are talking about a new type of thought pattern, or one that *some* feel gives intruiging results. Even if you discover that its a deluded thought process, or a psychological effect, personally I think its a worthwhile thing to look at. It cannot be done effectively here though. It would need to be a face to face controlled study. Even if someone took up ntlbell or the op on his challenge, that would be nothing more than anecdotal either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

I'm pretty sure that scientific controlled tests were done on these paranormal matters and obviously were proved false else we would've heard all about it, if I remember right the FBI or CIA did some tests on it. I know it's vague but i'll try and do some research on it

I havent even read this fully or looked at the actual paper, but pubmed has loads of links to investigations into psychic phenomena, just based on my first search. :)

The example of plumbers was used, which is not the best comparison, imo.

I wasnt comparing Plumbers to Psychics more the TV shows Derrin Brown to that show that catches bad plumbers (name) .

These shows consentrate on how you can be had by either .

I wasnt comparing Plumbers to Psychics more the TV shows Derrin Brown to that show that catches bad plumbers (name) .

These shows consentrate on how you can be had by either .
    I was referring to Otaku girls comment. Man, doesnt this lark get complicated. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Well if you are not willing to put in the time then oviously you know nothing about it so whats the point of arguing :rolleyes:

I did some googling and ended up spending the best part of an evening watching this tonight.

Enemies of Reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQ57X3YhH4

Come on,you have to admit the man makes some good arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

I think there definitely should be some decent studies done on mediums. I think ciaran okeeffe done his phd on testing mediums and I dont think he came up with much.

Its an unwinnable argument this one I think. Unless someone is going to analyse, test and interview every single psychic on the planet its going to be impossible to say they are all fake. By the same reasoning we cant prove they arent either.

Whats wrong with the phrase "I dont know'?. Lets try it:

Q Are psychics real?
    AI dont know, I dont have enough information.

Its simply in all probability the most genuine answer to date. If anyone is *really* interested in the answer then maybe they should join some kind of paranormal research team and try and find out from experience. Its the only way you (might) find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

then again, if you do end up finding out they arent all fake, you'll just end up in threads like this trying to 'prove' to people you have a point. You'll probably end up suggesting they join a paranomral group and go looking for themselves. Thats if the whole thing is something that genuinely interests them.

Otherwise its armchair politics.

ntlbell wrote: »

1000e for the reading...

That's right 1000e and all you have to do is tell me ONE thing you couldn't possibly know about my past, that's right ONE THING.

No takers.

They must be recession proof :eek:

No takers.

They must be recession proof :eek:

Poor you . You know if you were a true skeptic they would probably do it for free :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

something similar to this thread was tried about 2 years ago. heres the link.
    http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055089360&highlight=readings+net

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Surely someone would take ntlbell up on that very fair and generous proposal, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee

farna wrote: »
    I'm not psychic :)

:)

I could se that ! LOL!

Poor you . You know if you were a true skeptic they would probably do it for free :rolleyes:

What makes you think I'm a skeptic?

What makes you think I'm a skeptic?
    A thousand quid makes me think so.

Who exactly on boards is your offer made to anyway? Im only aware of maybe 4 people on here who say they give readings of any description, and of them only one has actually posted readings online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

People who claim to have psychic powers claim all sorts of things. But the one thing they dont claim is to be able to predcit the future, and any time they are asked to do it they either find all sorts of reasons why they can't do it, or if they try and are found wanting then its proved thay have not done it. I don't know of a single instance where someone who has claimed psychic powers has been able to demonstrate those powers with any degree of accuracy.

Look at a video of someone like Doris Stokes on youtube, and it should be obvious to anyone who is abouit to leave primary education that she is cold reading and making barnum statements etc, and has no powers of anything other than powers of showmanship.

Why oh why oh why oh why do the gulliable still believe in this stuff?

A thousand quid makes me think so.

Who exactly on boards is your offer made to anyway? Im only aware of maybe 4 people on here who say they give readings of any description, and of them only one has actually posted readings online.

I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, but if there's someone out there that can do it, I'm willing to pay 1k for the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, but if there's someone out there that can do it, I'm willing to pay 1k for the real deal.

I wouldn't mind having a few guesses myself if it could land me a grand :D

People who claim to have psychic powers claim all sorts of things. But the one thing they dont claim is to be able to predcit the future, and any time they are asked to do it they either find all sorts of reasons why they can't do it, or if they try and are found wanting then its proved thay have not done it. I don't know of a single instance where someone who has claimed psychic powers has been able to demonstrate those powers with any degree of accuracy.

You are obviously agitated and have a question of personal sigifigance.

Look at a video of someone like Doris Stokes on youtube, and it should be obvious to anyone who is abouit to leave primary education that she is cold reading and making barnum statements etc, and has no powers of anything other than powers of showmanship.

I've not heard of Doris or anyone connected with him/her,

Why oh why oh why oh why do the gulliable still believe in this stuff?

Do you want an answer to your real question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

1000e for the reading...

Im not claiming to be anythin but I like challenges. For the laugh like.Im not lookin for money or anythin and Im not saying Im anythin like a medium either. Ill throw a few guesses at you...

Did u ever work in anythin like landscaping?
    Did ya end a serious relationship bout 2/3 years ago? Is she now abroad in Australia working?
    Ever play semi-pro rugby for several years?
    Have u got at least two sisters?

There ya go!

Ill add a small bit to the above. If u do have sisters, they have blonde hair. One of em is a beautician or does somethin n a salon. And does some1 in your family work n accountancy? Did ur father suffer a serious health scare last year? Etc, etc,etc.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Any Psychic on boards.ie - I challenge them to prove their claims to me, either in person or on the forum.

This is how it will work.

You will firstly state exactly what it is you can do, in what detail, and specify what information you require. I will then verify whether or not what you have said is valid information or simply, just subtle cold reading.

I doubt any psychics on here have the courage to actually back up their claims, but should you do - I am waiting to prove how much of a fraud you are.

christ man,I dont know what goat was eating your boxers off the washing line when u posted that. Its like your mind is already made up. Doesnt exactly welcome any1 wanting to give ur 'test' a go.Who are u? I mean,what position of authority do u hold in relation to psychical research or the field of parapsychology? Seriously. Not bein smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

1000e for the reading...

ntlbell, I am a medium, and I will do a reading for you, free, I wont do it on the net or over the phone, but you are more than welcome to come to my house or I will go to yours. pm me if your interested and I'll give you my number.

my own father has never claimed 2 be a psychic or anythin of that kind.He doesnt even know what the word psychic means. 4 real. No clue. Hes been a mechanic all his life and has feck all 2 do w/ anythin psychic.But da man saw his dead grandmother when he was 9,and his mam was with him and she saw her as well.My old man can tell what the weather will be like for the next few weeks.I remember when we'd have beautiful scorching hot days wi clear skies and he'd say,'Id say therell be rain tonight' and we'd all think he was talkin ****e,but he was always spot on in the end. When my sister went off 2 Denmark via Paris before,he got into a mad fit of panic over her sayin that he had an 'awful feeling' and was trying to ring her. Couldnt get hold of her 4 a while but when he did,she was on the phone crying sayn that she missed her connecting flight to Denmark from charles de gaulle airport and slept n a toilet cubicle overnight at the airport. I swear like,there have been loads of incidents n my childhood where he seemed to know things he couldnt.I dunno if theres any point propping him up n front of james randi for a test because he'd prob mistake it 4 a test to see if hes lost his mind(psychic-psycho)! my father is his own man and isnt runnin around callin himself fcuk all because he doesnt understand any of this craic and he prob doesnt give a damn.Not when theres grass to be cut w/ the strimmers in this fine weather :D

Sure who cares bout Doris stokes now?Shes n a wooden box somewhere these days

Why oh why oh why oh why do the gullible still believe in this stuff?

how da fcuk do u know if all people who believe n it are gullible?Unless u know them personally ? 4 most people,its just entertainment.And the cool thing bout existing is that evry1 is given free will.If people want to believe n somethin that u think is bollocks,sure thats grand altogether,let them. But its not for u to judge people and call them gullible.

• Advertisement

Kurtza wrote: »
    Fraud!

Your dismissive remark indicates some very interesting psychological instinctive knee-jerks! .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement