Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I challenge any Psychic on boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭JimmyFloyd

This has been a very interesting thread, however, i haven't heard anything back from the offer(s) put forward.

It really shouldn't have rolled into a debate, it should've been a thread like this

1 - I challenge you.

2- I accept your challenge.

All other conversation is just side tracking.

I would be very interested in the outcome of this and if there are any psychics/mediums/whatever the term is i am more than happy to put myself forward as an impartial party and am willing to participate in a reading. I will be 100% truthful in whether the reading is accurate.

I find the lack of acceptance to the challenge very alarming.

JimmyFloyd wrote: »

Because if they psychics pass they will get "your" seal of approval ?

I am sure they have better things to do :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why? Firstly, there are a very low percentage of psychics posting here, compared to 'regular people'. Secondly, the initial post smacked of a witch hunt (to me, anyway). And thirdly, an online forum is not the ideal place to do such a test. The post was a proposal, not a demand and people are free to ignore it without it being 'alarming'.

And anyway, someone has volunteered, to ntlbell.

Oryx wrote: »
    Why? Firstly, there are a very low percentage of psychics posting here, compared to 'regular people'. Secondly, the initial post smacked of a witch hunt (to me, anyway). And thirdly, an online forum is not the ideal place to do such a test. The post was a proposal, not a demand and people are free to ignore it without it being 'alarming'.

And anyway, someone has volunteered, to ntlbell.

I agree people are free to ignore it.

But if i was an expert in my field, and mine and others expertise was being questioned, i would want to stand up and prove that i am, in fact, an expert.

IMO, it's a challenge, and any talk of ideal places for tests and psychic to normal person ratio is irrelivant.

The ratio might be 50000:1, but that one should be able to prove their skills.

I am now participating in a debate i said was not needed earlier.

This is a simple challenge accepted or not accepted.

The challenge has been accepted, i can't wait to see how it turns out.

But if i was an expert in my field, and mine and others expertise was being questioned, i would want to stand up and prove that i am, in fact, an expert.
    Perhaps noone posting here at this time refers to themselves as an expert.
    I am now participating in a debate i said was not needed earlier.
    Welcome to boards.:p

• Advertisement

The use of the termexpert was used as a comparison only

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I find the lack of acceptance to the challenge very alarming.[/quote]

Oh really... you must be very naive then. Why would a psychic respond to a genuine challenge when we all know that it's smoke and mirrors. Even the 'believers' must know deep down that it's only showbiz.

Oh really... you must be very naive then. Why would a psychic respond to a genuine challenge when we all know that it's smoke and mirrors. Even the 'believers' must know deep down that it's only showbiz.

I am not naive, you have failed to get the jist of my post.

I am not naive, you have failed to get the jist of my post.

JF, I was just being a bit sarky towards those that won't take up your challenge. Don't really mean you're naive. Apologies if you took it up that way.

Oh really... you must be very naive then. Why would a psychic respond to a genuine challenge when we all know that it's smoke and mirrors. Even the 'believers' must know deep down that it's only showbiz.[/quote]

How many psychics have you tested visited interviewed to come up with this smoke and mirrors theory ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 seimi

I had the strangest feeling that no psychic would take the challenge. Not so much a feeling, more like a spirit channeled the information from a spirit type dimension of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Inter

dvpower wrote: »
    Now that's what I call a disclaimer - if you're skeptical about a psychic, then the reading won't work.

If you drive a diesel car, no point filling it with unleaded petrol :D:p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Inter wrote: »
    If you drive a diesel car, no point filling it with unleaded petrol :D:p.

Ah come on, that isn't comparing like with like at all.

If one claims to have certain abilities surely they should be verifiable in some way?

Jakkass wrote: »
    Ah come on, that isn't comparing like with like at all.

If one claims to have certain abilities surely they should be verifiable in some way?
    To use a thread here as difinitive in deciding that psychics are all elusive fraudulent animals, is flawed. Anyone with a scientific brain should know this. :)

Anyone charging for their services should automatically have their abilities verified. Particularly those bloody phone lines which I think are insidious.

It is possible to see mediums work for free. Im sure if you search youll find a free psychic or two as well. Just cos they are holding their hands up here, does not mean they dont exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

To use a thread here as difinitive in deciding that psychics are all elusive fraudulent animals, is flawed. Anyone with a scientific brain should know this. :)

I don't consider all to be fradulent. I just do not believe that most if not all are capable of performing paranormal powers. I personally believe that there may be mediums or psychics but they are not anywhere near as common as people make them out to be. I do believe that there are such things as dark spirits, and other things which can affect how people behave. I've already mentioned that from what I have heard about ouija boards and their harm I do think there is something dark associated with them.
    Anyone charging for their services should automatically have their abilities verified. Particularly those bloody phone lines which I think are insidious.

Totally agree.
    It is possible to see mediums work for free. Im sure if you search youll find a free psychic or two as well. Just cos they are holding their hands up here, does not mean they dont exist.

I'm slightly dissapointed that more haven't taken the nuts to come forward on this thread. I mean they do exist on the Psychics and Mediums section right?

Jakkass wrote: »

I'm slightly dissapointed that more haven't taken the nuts to come forward on this thread. I mean they do exist on the Psychics and Mediums section right?
    We agree more than we disagree, then. :)

There are far fewer people posting here as practicing mediums or psychics than you might think. Just look at the number of unanswered requests for readings. I moonlight as a medium, I know one other person on this board who is one of the best demonstrating mediums Ive ever seen. I know of one poster who does readings here, and maybe two others who do readings irl. Thats it.

How many psychics have you tested visited interviewed to come up with this smoke and mirrors theory ?[/quote]

c'mon .. it's bull, you don't need to test, visit or interview. Even Mr Gullible can see that it's nonsense, maybe entertaining nonsense for some but nonsense just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dlofnep wrote: »
    Any Psychic on boards.ie - I challenge them to prove their claims to me, either in person or on the forum.

This is how it will work.

You will firstly state exactly what it is you can do, in what detail, and specify what information you require. I will then verify whether or not what you have said is valid information or simply, just subtle cold reading.

I doubt any psychics on here have the courage to actually back up their claims, but should you do - I am waiting to prove how much of a fraud you are.
    i think you should change the word psychic,because it covers a big area, psychic-spiritual healing or psychic healing,the transmission of energy from or through a healer .may practice hand healing or absent healing,through prayer or meditation, so it must mean that if you have ever been to church to pray for a sick person ,you must believe in psychic healing ,in many ways i have had many unexplained experiences only yesterday when driving a high rise flat a flash came into my mind ,and i said to my wife,i would not like to live in those flats someone is going to die in a fire,last night there was a fire in the high rise flats[not the same one] and many died,you will say its just a coincidence,but it happens too many times to me to be just that,if i could predict by order i would win the loto

c'mon .. it's bull, you don't need to test, visit or interview. Even Mr Gullible can see that it's nonsense, maybe entertaining nonsense for some but nonsense just the same.

question answered :p

question answered :p

Well, glad you agree.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Why would a psychic respond to a genuine challenge when we all know that it's smoke and mirrors. Even the 'believers' must know deep down that it's only showbiz.

Of the small minority of people i know or who i have met who can demonstrate/have demonstrated psychic ability, i cant and couldnt see they had/have any connection wit showbusiness. One fella doesnt even own a TV and hardly has a bob to his name. Never charged anyone a cent

It's the 'celebrity psychics' that taint the reps of the proper ones who dont live in glitzy oppulance - like that annoying one Sally Morgan, Colin Fry, Tony Stockwell,John Edwards, and a few others. I have a bit of respect for Derek Acorah tho,even though he was a muppet on Most Haunted ('Sam? What was that,Sam??? Theres a man here,an old man'') and for Gordon Smith. Now, what ive never understood is why yer one Sharon Neill is at great pains to give herself the slogan 'Britain's only blind psychic/medium', like, what difference does that make if youre blind? That she can't cold read as well as she could (if she was that way inclined, like) if she had her full eyesight?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

OK... I have glanced through the first 2 pages of this garble... my question... has anyone yet taken the OP up on his challange? If not, then why go to the endless bother of writing reams of counter arguments that quite simply, no-one is going to bother reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Im dying to hear how ntlbell got on with the reading.
    Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Inter

OK... I have glanced through the first 2 pages of this garble... my question... has anyone yet taken the OP up on his challange? If not, then why go to the endless bother of writing reams of counter arguments that quite simply, no-one is going to bother reading

That some have bothered is enough for those of us who have engaged in this discussion. Your participation is, after all, voluntary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

since you havent been bothering reading then you might have missed the fact that NOT all people interested in the paranormal = psychic.

if yous *really* want the question answered, go see a psychic or something. or indeed do whats been asked already - dont demand attention and results, instead go out there and find them like the rest of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

iamhunted wrote: »
    since you havent been bothering reading then you might have missed the fact that NOT all people interested in the paranormal = psychic.

if yous *really* want the question answered, go see a psychic or something. or indeed do whats been asked already - dont demand attention and results, instead go out there and find them like the rest of us do.

How many "psychics" do free readings? I would like to try it myself but there's no way would I give any of those chancers my money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Everyone's psychic.
    Ever feel someone looking at you?
    Ever look at someone and have them turn to look at you?
    Psychic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

I have spent a lifetime of research and study of the paranormal, supernatural and divination. Never have I found a shred of evidence to back up any of these peoples claims.

I am still amazed that people are still taken in by these fraudsters, and that is what they are save for the occasional deluded one that really believes in what they do, and does being deluded make it right? Not by a long shot!

One thing I have noticed about people who believe in this nonsense is the high proportion of people who for want of a better word are "flaky" i.e. Not the most stable of people in dealing with reality, and seem to turn to an unreal world as an alternative.

And just for the record, I studied this area as I initially felt that there was something in it and gradually over a period of several years eventually coming to the conclusion that all of it is fake.

It is amazing how people can believe in one-off chance happenings, I kick a football and "bend it like Beckham" it could happen, 10,000 to one chance, but it could, and meant nothing whatsoever, the monkey and a typewriter scenario.

Lately I have turned my attention to "alternative" or as they like it to be called nowadays "complimentary" medicine, and am discovering the same mentality within that, Homoeopathy has absolutely zero medical or scientific proof as well as being obviously nonsense yet the same type of people spend money on it.

How many "psychics" do free readings? I would like to try it myself but there's no way would I give any of those chancers my money ;)

ive no idea - have you asked many?

• Advertisement

One thing I have noticed about people who believe in this nonsense is the high proportion of people who for want of a better word are "flaky" i.e. Not the most stable of people in dealing with reality, and seem to turn to an unreal world as an alternative.

so your lifetime of research tells us that anyone who believes in psychics is 'flakey' and not too good with dealing with reality?

Well Done. That takes stereotyping to a whole new level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement