Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I challenge any Psychic on boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dave! wrote: »
    I'll do it

Do I have to really be psychic to try??? :(

You only have to claim to be ;)

The fact that you have to offer money to test a psychic really doesnt add to your credability of being a skeptic.

Not only that but "challanging" or offering money already jeopardizes your "experiment" credability as a skeptic goes down more .

This Thread = FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The fact that you have to offer money to test a psychic really doesnt add to your credability of being a skeptic.

Not only that but "challanging" or offering money already jeopardizes your "experiment" credability as a skeptic goes down more .

This Thread = FAIL

Electricians don't wire houses just to prove they can, they need incentive. Why would a psychic be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

It certainly would be a good incentive for "psychics" to prove their abilities if getting money through deceitful means was liable to a fine or jail time.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    It certainly would be a good incentive for "psychics" to prove their abilities if getting money through deceitful means was liable to a fine or jail time.

P.

I dont need to offer an incentive to do it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

P.
    Wasn't there a fraudelent mediums act in the UK? I 'see' now it was repealed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraudulent_Mediums_Act_1951
    and see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7354089.stm
    Trouble for mediums? hope so, charlatans

RLJ wrote: »

Why were you given wrong information by a medium in the past ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im interested too in where you formed your opinion. If its based on tv, I understand, but its not a true picture of what goes on. If its based on skeptic websites, then a look at the other side (the dark side :p) might be insightful.

And if you met a bad un, share. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Oryx wrote: »
    Im interested too in where you formed your opinion. If its based on tv, I understand, but its not a true picture of what goes on. If its based on skeptic websites, then a look at the other side (the dark side :p) might be insightful.

And if you met a bad un, share. :)

Please include links to any pro-psychic websites where a psychic has proven their abilities.

Hey, I'm quite happy to stump up €1,000 to a psychic (to be donated to charity if they don't want money) who can get me in touch with my late mother.

P.

Please include links to any pro-psychic websites where a psychic has proven their abilities.

Hey, I'm quite happy to stump up €1,000 to a psychic (to be donated to charity if they don't want money) who can get me in touch with my late mother.

P.
    My post was aimed at RLJ. I recommend looking towards the spiritualist union websites, both here and in the UK, for more information on the less sensationalist side to mediums. Psychics I cant help you with particularly. But websites wont do much for ya, being the written anecdotal word. Youve got to see someone work.

Just so's you wont waste time with your 1000 quid. A psychic wont get you in touch with your mother, a medium might. Anyone who guarantees they will, put your money in your pocket and walk away. :)

• Advertisement

I was not given any wrong information but just think anyone who charges money for what is explained as cold reading are con artists. i don't know why people would put their trust in them and think they take advantage of vulnerable people.

I did have a couple of readings in my life and though it was all guessing game hogwash

So noone wants €10,000?

fair enough so. I'll assume it's for reasons already said and not because there's not one of you capable of doing what you claim.

This Thread = FAIL

My 'credibility' of being a skeptic?
    Why on EARTH would I need any credibility? I'm not claiming to be able to do anything.

SV wrote: »
    fair enough so. I'll assume it's for reasons already said and not because there's not one of you capable of doing what you claim.

I think its because they feel sorry for you that you have to sell your car in order to make the 10000.

Although a psychic on boards did surprise me when she got the exact date of my grandfathers birthday. I didnt know what it was at the time as he died back in the 1920's I had to do some digging to find out the date for myself.

What was most surprising was she did it over internet chat .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

SV wrote: »
    So noone wants €10,000?

My 'credibility' of being a skeptic?
    Why on EARTH would I need any credibility? I'm not claiming to be able to do anything.
    why not try religion they [all of them] claim to be in touch with god ?all religions believe in the paranormal?it is also proved that the mind can light up light bulbs just by concentration,as well as many other things.twins often know what the other twin is doing,even animals are in tune with the dead, being a skeptic is good then one day somthing will happen and you will change your mind. i have been there believe me.

I'll pay 5k to anyone who can get me out of this world alive

I'll pay 5k to anyone who can get me out of this world alive
    Payment upfront. Full refund if not satisfied. ;)

I think its because they feel sorry for you that you have to sell your car in order to make the 10000.

Although a psychic on boards did surprise me when she got the exact date of my grandfathers birthday. I didnt know what it was at the time as he died back in the 1920's I had to do some digging to find out the date for myself.

What was most surprising was she did it over internet chat .
    lmao, Oh wow, now that's a poor response. Kind of a last response eh?
    If you knew me you'd know I have far far more than €10,000(as a fair few boardsies do know)..but that's besides the point.

getz wrote: »
    why not try religion they [all of them] claim to be in touch with god ?all religions believe in the paranormal?it is also proved that the mind can light up light bulbs just by concentration,as well as many other things.twins often know what the other twin is doing,even animals are in tune with the dead, being a skeptic is good then one day somthing will happen and you will change your mind. i have been there believe me.

Proof of any of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Got posted an adult education leaflet thing this morning

One of the classes (for €150) was somethin like 'Develop your Psychic powers'.

Lovely.

I start on Monday :pac:

Lovely.

150 to develop cold reading skills?
    That's actually fairly decent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Lovely.

Can you scan that shiat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I loved the premise of this thread but all there's been is Excuses, Cop-Outs, Arguing and more excuses!

Sh1t or get off the pot, anyone not setting or accepting a/the challenge should post here from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grimsqueaker

Hi-I havent read the whol thread so i might be outline posting this but......

I accept ur challenge, I dont like the term psychic, but i am a reader and i reckon im in the right.

So what i do;

I read tarot, although i do NOt read the future-reading the future is something i think is ridiculous, if u can read it that means its set in stone and i dont want to know what it is, if its not fixed then u cant read it!!!! What i do is read someones state of mind, what ever issues u feel are important in ur life are reflected in teh cards, i actually try to limit the ammount of detail i draw out of the cards as u can get waaaaaaaaaaay too much information about a person.
    anyway id liek to think of my readings as a type of meditation, where people can reflect upon themselves through teh cards adn my interptitaion of the cards for them, Its a very very good system, and ive never had anything but praise for it.

If ur willing to bring a relaxed mind id be happy to read it for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Skyebluephoenix

As in all walks of life,there are good and bad apples in every basket.Those who walk the path with a genuine purpose and a pure heart can be recognised by their light and their deeds.Personal recommendations can usually sort the real from the fraud.Be ware of those charging high fees for readings and if during the course of a reading or after the reading no real or valid information has been shared,then do not pay.www.spiritualistchurches.net have over the course of the last year been working to expose frauds as they are damaging not only to the genuine mediums/physics etc but also to the people who visit them.However they also say like attracts like and if you have visited a reader who did not meet your expectations perhaps you should ask was there a lesson in the visit for you???There are people who look for readings without purity in their own hearts - e.g.will my aunt leave her fortune to me in her will etc?It is good to be sceptical but it is better to have a balance of sceptism and also be aware that there are people who possess genuine gifts.Instead of throwing down the gauntlet and venting anger,ask for recommendations and reserve judgement until then.

As in all walks of life,there are good and bad apples in every basket.Those who walk the path with a genuine purpose and a pure heart can be recognised by their light and their deeds.Personal recommendations can usually sort the real from the fraud.Be ware of those charging high fees for readings and if during the course of a reading or after the reading no real or valid information has been shared,then do not pay.www.spiritualistchurches.net have over the course of the last year been working to expose frauds as they are damaging not only to the genuine mediums/physics etc but also to the people who visit them.However they also say like attracts like and if you have visited a reader who did not meet your expectations perhaps you should ask was there a lesson in the visit for you???There are people who look for readings without purity in their own hearts - e.g.will my aunt leave her fortune to me in her will etc?It is good to be sceptical but it is better to have a balance of sceptism and also be aware that there are people who possess genuine gifts.Instead of throwing down the gauntlet and venting anger,ask for recommendations and reserve judgement until then.

A little airy-fairy, but bravo-well said

I accept ur challenge, I dont like the term psychic, but i am a reader and i reckon im in the right.

So what i do;

I read tarot, although i do NOt read the future-reading the future is something i think is ridiculous, if u can read it that means its set in stone and i dont want to know what it is, if its not fixed then u cant read it!!!! What i do is read someones state of mind, what ever issues u feel are important in ur life are reflected in teh cards, i actually try to limit the ammount of detail i draw out of the cards as u can get waaaaaaaaaaay too much information about a person.
    anyway id liek to think of my readings as a type of meditation, where people can reflect upon themselves through teh cards adn my interptitaion of the cards for them, Its a very very good system, and ive never had anything but praise for it.

So basically you give people a bare outline and then let them make their own mind on what it was all about and let them match up certain things you've said to random things going on in their lives?
    I'm sorry, that falls under 'vague crap' for me.
    I want something definite.

I can give you permission to go into as much detail about my personal life as you want, if you're capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So what i do;

Dude, i'm glad SOMEONE is willing to admit Tarot and being Psychic is bull!

You didnt mean it i'm sure, but you've just shown us that Tarot has nothing to do with... well... anything. The person's state of mind? So you're an unqualified psychiatrist?

Most Tarot readers son't say what you've said, they say that the cards predict the future. If YOU cant predict the future, then you're not really doing anyhting!

actually I'm a particially qualified psych, i'm a teacher for people wit mental disabilities 9-5, so I have some professional experience wit being intuitive of others feelings, practicing relaxation, etc.

I'm not claiming to have magical powers, mostly because I believe magical powers are just what science hasn't discovered yet. I know my kinda readings may sound vague but it's closer to the mark than u may think. Of he top of my head my 2 favorite examples;

I told a guy he was making a decission which would make him an outcast but ultamitely what he needed to make him happy. It turns out he was thinking about how to tell his mom he was gay.

Another favorite was a huge chief I used to know, great guy, v friendly-I told him he needed to let his gaurd down and be taken care of by his family. I didn't know that his favorite uncle had just died and that he'd felt guilty cause he couldn't cry.....he went home and wept like a baby, and felt much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I told a guy he was making a decission which would make him an outcast but ultamitely what he needed to make him happy. It turns out he was thinking about how to tell his mom he was gay.

Another favorite was a huge chief I used to know, great guy, v friendly-I told him he needed to let his gaurd down and be taken care of by his family. I didn't know that his favorite uncle had just died and that he'd felt guilty cause he couldn't cry.....he went home and wept like a baby, and felt much better.

I'm not sure if those sort of readings can be tested... they're a bit vague.

For the first guy, if you just told him "Tell your mother that you're gay, it's alright"... that would be pretty accurate. We're getting somewhere.

For the chief, if you whipped out your tarot cards and said "I see that your favourite uncle has died"... well that would be pretty awesome too.

The readings are too vague.

U whip a more complete answer out of ur arse using only 82 pieces of cardboard! I think i do pretty well, and besides they werent vauge, they clearly illustrated the most important issue in that persons mind at the time.

The gays problem was that in tellin his mother he was commiting himself to his homosexuality. Not telling mom ment that he could stay safely in the closet.

And as for the chief, again his problem wasnt the death, it was his own inablity to deal wit the death, to grieve in a way he felt his uncle deserved, he was in conflict over his own persona and what he felt he owed to the memory of his uncle.

Note im still not claiming magical powers, I am claiming that my readings work for a given value of work, they are helpful, relaxing and fun. titles dont matter, so whether im psychic, empathic, or just a good people person its all the same. And sometimes being a good people person, letting someone relax and destress even if it is only for 45 minutes or so, is magic!

Their are no negatives for what i do, i rarely charge (only while i was workin for that phone company, adn i never actually recieved a cent from that job), i dont do pessimestic readings, nor do i encourage people to make drastic changes to their lives-i just help clear the clutter out of their minds.

• Advertisement

So why on earth did you accept the challenge(or mine) ? If you're admitting yourself you don't have 'powers' ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement