Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan v Manchester United Match Thread 24th Feb 09

• 21-02-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

wf.inter.milan.logo.10.27.0.gifInter v Man Utd manu.gif

Kick off at 19.45 live on RTE2.

This game will be all about attitude. We need to play well but more importantly get in their faces and not be intimidated like we were at the San Siro against Meelan in 07.

Tevez, Fletcher and Park could well start imo. They always rise to the occasion in the big games but no matter what team plays, it is their attitude going out onto and on the pitch that will decide the outcome. No matter how well we are playing, this is a whole different ball game.

VDS
    Gazza - Rio - Evans - Evra
    Ronaldo - Scholes - Carrick - Giggs
    Rooney - Berba

will probably be the starting line up but as I said, others could be on instead. Great squad.

Post your line ups/predicitons?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My god man the game is still three days away ! That said I dont see us emerging victorious in the San siro. No Vidic translates to major problem as was evident today. It will be a draw or a goal victory for Inter I reckon. We should do the biz in old trafford. The important thing is that we must score because if we dont they I think we have a high chance of going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

redout wrote: »
    My god man the game is still three days away ! That said I dont see us emerging victorious in the San siro. No Vidic translates to major problem as was evident today. It will be a draw or a goal victory for Inter I reckon. We should do the biz in old trafford.
    This has been the only thing keeping me going for the last two months!

I think that if we try and win this match, we will win it. We have a habit in recent years in the CL of playing for the draw away from home. (e.g. Lyon last season). It doesn't work however as we always end up losing the bloody game. We are definitely a better team than Inter and if we can play to our potential the chances will come.

I'll go for 2-1 United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Definetly take a draw in this one.

Neither Rio or Evans will attack a ball in the air, and that could be a big problem. Would have much rathered Brwon in there.

Also hope to see a CM of Fletch and Giggs. Carrick will just sit off the Inter midfield and let them play with the ball. Scholes played today so not a chance he'llplay in this one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Id expect Fergie to go with a 5 man midfield here and play for a draw/nick a goal on the counter..it's going to be a tight tight game Id say...No vida is going to make for v uncomfortable watching..

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Definetly take a draw in this one.

Neither Rio or Evans will attack a ball in the air, and that could be a big problem. Would have much rathered Brwon in there.

Also hope to see a CM of Fletch and Giggs. Carrick will just sit off the Inter midfield and let them play with the ball. Scholes played today so not a chance he'llplay in this one imo.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

K4t wrote: »
    We are definitely a better team than Inter

Without Vidic that is highly highly questionable

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Without Vidic that is highly highly questionable

Disagree wholeheartedly with this. Without Vida we are def beatable, but our overall defense and attack imo is superior to Inter's.

Inter seemingly were not great in their match today either.

2 - 1 win over Bologna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Inter flatter to deceive. But then, Man U are scraping wins. and usually with the help of poor officials. Italian sides are not the flavour of the month with Uefa, so expect all the marginals to go against Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im looking forward to this

I hope utd really come out attacking,i hate to see a 5 man midfield

If evans isnt fit,personally I would like to see

Neville-Jos--Rio---Evra

and if evra isnt fit ill would go for Fabio

i dont think Neville could deal with the big inter forwards tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Ideal line-up:

VDS
    ----Gaz
    Rio
    Evans----Evra--
    ---Carrick
    Scholes
    Giggs---
    ---Ronaldo--Berbagoal----The Boy---

If none of the doubtfuls make it:

VDS
    ---Raf
    Rio
    Carrick----Evra---
    Fletcher---Scholes---Giggs
    ---Ronaldo----Berbagoal
    The Boy---

I really don't like the look of that 2nd back 4, but Carrick is the best option I can find to play at CB if Evans, JOS and Gaz are all out.

We won't know how likely these are until we know more about the doubtfuls

Ideal line-up:

VDS
    ----Gaz
    Rio
    Evans----Evra--
    ---Carrick
    Scholes
    Giggs---
    ---Ronaldo--Berbagoal----The Boy---

If none of the doubtfuls make it:

VDS
    ---Raf
    Rio
    Carrick----Evra---
    Fletcher---Scholes---Giggs
    ---Ronaldo----Berbagoal
    The Boy---

I really don't like the look of that 2nd back 4, but Carrick is the best option I can find to play at CB if Evans, JOS and Gaz are all out.

We won't know how likely these are until we know more about the doubtfuls

Not a hope of carrick ever playing CB. More likely to be Fletch.

It was posted on another thread that Gaz is out so we will really need JOS to make it.

Most likely at this point at the back...

VDS
    ---Raf
    Rio
    JOS----Evra---

If JOS doesn't make it.., we're in a spot of bother. I am not sure what Fergie would do. Push Fletch back is an option. Move Evra in and Fabio/Park on the left?

Too early to speculate probably but hopefully we get a few off the physio's table..

EDIT:

Just found this...

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BF9E570E6%2D407E%2D44BC%2D800F%2D4A3110258114%7D&newsid=6627639

Good aul Lou Macari also saying move Evra in and stick Fabio out left...Id prefer Park personally for such a big game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

With all the injury problems I feel we might concede more than 1 :( I'll go for 2-0 to Inter as much as I don't want to :(

Hoping desperately for a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i can defo see fletch being in the back 4 for this game!

extremely worried about it now! we need tevez on i think as a work horse like him is vital!

D.S. wrote: »
    Not a hope of carrick ever playing CB. More likely to be Fletch.

I disagree. I would much rather have Carrick at CB. Reads the game much better, and is less likely IMO to make a mistake than Fletcher. He's also a good tackler and header of the ball.
    Move Evra in and Fabio/Park on the left?

That would be an absolute disaster. A 5'8" Evra possibly against 6'3" Ibra? Also this is far too big a game for Fabio. Evra stays where he is for me.

So so far we've got

--???
    Rio
    ???---Evra

And we may have to fill those other two spots with 2 from: Rafael, Carrick Fletcher. Chester isn't even an option as he is out on loan at Peterborough.
    Obviously a fit JOS will make this an awful lot easier decision to make, and as you say, we can't really specualte too much until we know about him and Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

VDS

Fletch Neville Rio Evra

Ronaldo Carrick Scholes Park

Rooney

Berbatov

If the injured stay injured then I'd like to see the above. Very worried about this game now. If it ends up 2 nil we'll find it very hard to get out of this tie. I'd be delighted with a draw and get em home with Vidic back or at the very least a 2 - 1 , that would give us a great chance.

deisedevil wrote: »
    VDS

Fletch Neville Rio Evra

Rooney

Berbatov

If the injured stay injured then I'd like to see the above. Very worried about this game now. If it ends up 2 nil we'll find it very hard to get out of this tie. I'd be delighted with a draw and get em home with Vidic back or at the very least a 2 - 1 , that would give us a great chance.
    If the injured stay injured you won't see that line-up. Neville is doubtful

If the injured stay injured you won't see that line-up. Neville is doubtful

Ah christ!

Ok so:

VDS

Raf Fletch Rio Evra

Rooney

Berbatov

Not too confident in Ferdinand having to keep an eye out for both Fletch and Raf, could be a disaster.

I disagree. I would much rather have Carrick at CB. Reads the game much better, and is less likely IMO to make a mistake than Fletcher. He's also a good tackler and header of the ball.

Carrick is good at closing down the opposition, he doesn't commit to a tackle or throw his body in the line as much as Fletch would. He reads the game well but it's physicality we'll need there on the night..

That would be an absolute disaster. A 5'8" Evra possibly against 6'3" Ibra? Also this is far too big a game for Fabio. Evra stays where he is for me.

So so far we've got

--???
    Rio
    ???---Evra

And we may have to fill those other two spots with 2 from: Rafael, Carrick Fletcher. Chester isn't even an option as he is out on loan at Peterborough.
    Obviously a fit JOS will make this an awful lot easier decision to make, and as you say, we can't really specualte too much until we know about him and Evans

Completely agree it's not ideal..., it's not even great potentially.., but it may be all we have left!

Looking at the remaing players we have:

Evra
    Ferdinand
    O'Shea
    Rafael

If JOS doesn't make it, that leaves one from...

Fabio
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Park

or even..

Possebon
    Eckersley
    Gibson

Jaysus, it puts the tie in a whole new light..

Never in a million years did I imagine big Johner would be so important to our chances in a CL game!

• Advertisement

Carrick is good at closing down the opposition, he doesn't commit to a tackle or throw his body in the line as much as Fletch would. He reads the game well but it's physicality we'll need there on the night..

Completely agree it's not ideal..., it's not even great potentially.., but it may be all we have left!

Looking at the remaing players we have:

Evra
    Ferdinand
    O'Shea
    Rafael

If JOS doesn't make it, that leaves one from...

Fabio
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Park

or even..

Possebon
    Eckersley
    Gibson

Jaysus, it puts the tie in a whole new light..

I'd rather have Carrick in midfield staying back a bit and mopping up anything in front of defence, it will almost certainly be a night for counter attacks for us, Carrick is the right man to get them going with accurate long passes.

Never thought I'd be so worried about JOS being fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Never in a million years did I imagine big Johner would be so important to our chances in a CL game!

But he so often is.
    are you a new fan?

But he so often is.
    are you a new fan?
    Eh? I dunno where you're going with that. I am 15 but that doesn't mean my support is any less passionate or make me any less knowledgable about football.

JOS might be always important to our CL games, but in any other game this season if you had been told JOS would miss the game, you wouldn't be too worried.

Now because of the fact that we only really have 2 fit first-choice defenders, JOS becomes that much more important all of a sudden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

We are in a bit of trouble with these injuries/Vidic's suspension. I reckon we'll see something like;

VDS
    Rafael
    JO'S
    Rio---Evra
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney

Berbagod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Easy win here for Inter. Utd have peaked to early this season imo.

Highsider wrote: »
    Easy win here for Inter. Utd have peaked to early this season imo.

Lol, peaked?? Have you even watched any of Utd's games this season? You clearly haven't. United have been v stop start all season. The last few games are the first sign that we are now finding our scoring touch. The most consistent thing about our season has been our defence. But we certainly haven't peaked. There is a lot more left in the tank for sure. The evidence of this is the difference between this season's performances and last.

As for an easy win? It's a European tie. Maybe you don't watch those either, they are generally speaking all tight affairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Things are looking pretty bad alright. I'd put Fletch over Carrick at CB cause we need someone who has determination and heart to play along side Rio who does the reading of the game quite well.
    I wonder if Tevito or Rooney could do a shift either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With no Vidic you are in bother.

I can see many goals for Iner Milan. I don't normally like to see EPL teams lose in the Champion's League but I like Jose Mourinho and I'd love to see Inter Milan win this game.

I don't want Inter to win the CL, but if they beat United it will remind all the big clubs of the special one and maybe we will see him back in the EPL in charge of City. That would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm very worried about our defence, with the injuries and suspensions we have.

I don't know enough about Inter to accurately judge how we'll do against them. However I'd be surprised if we didn't line up with 3 in central midfield.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

I can see many goals for Iner Milan. I don't normally like to see EPL teams lose in the Champion's League but I like Jose Mourinho and I'd love to see Inter Milan win this game.

How can anyone like Mourinho's teams. In farirness brother they play awful football and wear teams down. Not much of a spectator pleasure. I use to hate watching them and so did many others.

I enjoyed Mourinho's Chelsea in the first two years with Robben and Duff, its the following years when they became the 4-4-2 with 4 central midfielders that they became dire to watch.

Special praise for the 'Special One' ahead of the game from Fergie.., it's a new tack on the usual mind games ;)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4958707,00.html
    Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Jose Mourinho ahead of Manchester United's UEFA Champions League clash with Inter Milan.

United travel to the Giuseppe Meazza on Tuesday for the first-leg of their last 16 tie, and Ferguson cannot wait to again lock horns with Mourinho.

The Scottish legend did not hold back in his praise for the former Chelsea coach.

"He's one of the best coaches in the world, amazing," said Ferguson after seeing his side clinch a 2-1 win over Blackburn on Saturday evening.

"I knew of him when we played Porto in 2004 but it wasn't until Jose went to Chelsea and called himself the Special One that I began to take notice of him.

"But don't forget he was self anointed! When he called himself that people sat up and I did too. But his achievements were there to be recognised.

Success
    "I don't know everything about Jose or what he does on the training ground, but you can't deny his success to win the Uefa Cup with Porto as well as two or three domestic titles in Portugal.

"Then he won the Champions League with them and that takes some doing at a club like Porto.

"After that he won the two titles at Chelsea. It will be good going, too, if he wins the title in his first season at Inter - so he has made his mark alright.

"He came in and said he was the Special One and we were thinking, 'who is this?'. After that his team were thinking they'd better win and they got off to a start like nothing on earth.

Everyone was chasing their tail for two seasons so we had to do something about it - and that's what we did.

"Jose was the instigator of the Chelsea team without question. He gave them a resilience and a winning mentality that has put them onto that higher level and it made it hard for us to compete against them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

How can anyone like Mourinho's teams. In farirness brother they play awful football and wear teams down. Not much of a spectator pleasure. I use to hate watching them and so did many others.
    That would be my biggest reservation about him taking over from SAF when he retires. I simply couldn't stomach a United side without our trademark attacking philosophy. I know we haven't been as effective offensively this season to date but Jose's engrained defensive nature wouldn't be for me tbh. That said, he's one of a very short list of candidates that could do a good job at such a great club!

The thing about Inter is that with Zlatan it can just not matter who you have in defence because when he has good games he's almost unstoppable and when he has bad games Inter have enough strength around him to compensate. Although virtually all Man Utd fans will disagree, Zlatan is one of the few players like Messi who have the ability to turn the game around with a flash of brilliance better than Ronaldo. Also, in Maicon they have the best wing back in the world who they will probably have on Ronaldo's wing. He's physichally fantastic and is a good technician

My guess at their team would be

J. Cesar

Santon--Samuel---Chivu---Maicon

Zanetti---Muntari---Cambiasso--Stankovic

Ibra
    Adriano

Santon might be left out because he's a bit young to be put against Ronaldo.

From the bench they have a bunch of dangerous options, particularly Balotelli and Mancini. Whoever said this should be an easy task earlier is just wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

This would be a certain victory for Man Utd but for Mourinho. As much as I hate his teams, he really is ''The Special One".

I see this going all the way to penalties at Old Trafford, with the Italians then bottling it.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    This would be a certain victory for Man Utd but for Mourinho.

How, Inter have a few players who would waltz into the United team. Maicon, Ibra, Cambiasso, Julio Cesar, Mancini and are going to win Serie A for the fourth time in a row. The arrogance is absolutely ridiculous

The thing about Inter is that with Zlatan it can just not matter who you have in defence because when he has good games he's almost unstoppable and when he has bad games Inter have enough strength around him to compensate. Although virtually all Man Utd fans will disagree, Zlatan is one of the few players like Messi who have the ability to turn the game around with a flash of brilliance better than Ronaldo. Also, in Maicon they have the best wing back in the world who they will probably have on Ronaldo's wing. He's physichally fantastic and is a good technician

Scholes, Rooney, Berbatov and Twinkle toes can all change a game with a single moment of brilliance regardless of how bad we are playing. We possess more players capable of doing that than Inter. We are far more dangerous than Inter and also stronger in defence (Vidic is a blow no doubt) and no doubt Mourinho knows that. I said at the start of this thread the first leg will be difficult but to think Inter will beat us at old trafford would be a bet far fetched. Once we score at the San Siro the tie will become immensely difficult for Inter to then come to old trafford and need to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How, Inter have a few players who would waltz into the United team. Maicon, Ibra, Cambiasso, Julio Cesar, Mancini and are going to win Serie A for the fourth time in a row. The arrogance is absolutely ridiculous
    kinaldo's a Newky fan I believe. I don't think most United fans see it as an easy victory, especially since we'll be lucky to have 2 centre halves for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Wow! The last 4 Serie A titles! If we were in the nineties I'd be impressed.

And I don't think any of those players you mentioned would ''walk'' into Man Utd's team. Frankly, your arrogance is ridiculous.

I want Inter to win badly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very worried about this match tbh, as has previously been said loosing vidic is as big of a loss we could possibly have in the team, would be a candidate for our player of the season so far.

I say park the bus with a midfield with something like ronnie - rooney - park, carrick haning back, with berbzy up front. Very worried about inters target man in ibra, when he scores he tends to be on fire and score a brace or a hat trick, was very impressed with stankovic in the milan derby, he will be difficult to deal with, along with muntari and cambiasso trying to boss our midfield. Maicon is also one of the quickest players ive seen in the counter attack, absolute flying machine who will also have to be dealt with, hopefully evra should be up to the task (very similar players.)

Think Rooney will have to be a key player in this match, covering ground and getting back, which I have criticised him before about, it will most certainly be needed for this game.

Also this is the type of game where you really miss a player like Hargreaves or someone who can play a similar position and anchor the midfield.:(

• Advertisement

Scholes, Rooney, Berbatov and Twinkle toes can all change a game with a single moment of brilliance regardless of how bad we are playing. We possess more players capable of doing that than Inter. We are far more dangerous than Inter and also stronger in defence (Vidic is a blow no doubt) and no doubt Mourinho knows that. I said at the start of this thread the first leg will be difficult but to think Inter will beat us at old trafford would be a bet far fetched. Once we score at the San Siro the tie will become immensely difficult for Inter to then come to old trafford and need to perform.

Rooney and Ronaldo yes but they're forwards so you'd expect that, Scholes 3 years ago but Berba no. Anyway, in Cambiasso Inter have the best Makalele player around and Mourinho and Makalele were always trouble for Fergie. Without Vidic you are not stronger in defence and Inter have a very combatative midfield.

Mourinho is near unbeatable at home so I give United a small chance of winning this game. Both teams are top of the form table in their respective leagues. They are two of the top 5 team in Europe along with Chelsea and the two Spanish giants. There is no great gap in class between any of these teams, it tends to come down to form, injuries and luck and Man Utd are raped with injuries. Missing your best defender would be one thing, missing the teams best player would be another, missing the leagues best going into a tough tough clash when your defence is dependant on him is completely different and I expect it will show. Inter to win by 2 goals
    kinaldo wrote:
    Wow! The last 4 Serie A titles! If we were in the nineties I'd be impressed.

And I don't think any of those players you mentioned would ''walk'' into Man Utd's team. Frankly, your arrogance is ridiculous.

I want Inter to win badly though.

I ****ing hate Inter, Juve fan here but I wonder how many of you are making these outragous statements actually watch the league

Rooney and Ronaldo yes but they're forwards so you'd expect that, Scholes 3 years ago but Berba no. Anyway, in Cambiasso Inter have the best Makalele player around and Mourinho and Makalele were always trouble for Fergie. Without Vidic you are not stronger in defence and Inter have a very combatative midfield.

Mourinho is near unbeatable at home so I give United a small chance of winning this game. Both teams are top of the form table in their respective leagues. They are two of the top 5 team in Europe along with Chelsea and the two Spanish giants. There is no great gap in class between any of these teams, it tends to come down to form, injuries and luck and Man Utd are raped with injuries. Missing your best defender would be one thing, missing the teams best player would be another, missing the leagues best going into a tough tough clash when your defence is dependant on him is completely different and I expect it will show. Inter to win by 2 goals

I ****ing hate Inter, Juve fan here but I wonder how many of you are making these outragous statements actually watch the league

Scholes last year champions league semi-final 2nd leg old trafford. His screamer got us to Moscow and tamed the mighty Barca. How many players do you think were capable of scoring that goal ? Berbatov the lazy fuk actually can do the whole moment of brilliance. I am sure the lads from the United thread will attest to this. To think Inter will beat us by two goals means your being very optimistic brother. The last time a team beat us by two or more was the Champions league semi-final 2nd leg 2007 when the real Milan (a team who were actually far better than us) hit us for three and went on to win the competition and before that you have to go all the way back to December 2004 when Fenerbache beat us by three but against a weakened team as it was the last group game and we were already qualified so I dont really count that one. Infact the last time a team beat us by two or more in a competitive european game were we had something to lose was the last 16 to Real Madrid 3-1 in april 2003. So as I said brother, very optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I wonder if we could see Tevez ahead of Berbs tomorrow to up the work rate of the team.
    We will defo miss hargreaves but I wouldnt put it passed tevez to work hard in a 3 man centre midfield to win the ball and then have carrick and maybe scholes for him to pass it off to.

Something like:
    VDS
    Rafa
    Fletch?
    Rio
    Evra

Park
    Tevez

Carrick
    Scholes---Ronaldo

Rooney

Park offers cover for Rafa which he needs. Swap Ronaldo Rooney around if needed. I just can't see how we can play Berbs and Ronaldo in a game where we are going to have to work.

I don't understand how either side can think that any side will win with any relative ease. Both teams are at the top of their leagues, by some distance.
    The likely league winners of the English league are playing the likely league winners of the Italian league.
    Both sides have players who can change a game in an instant, Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahomovic, and many more can all do that, even Adriano.

It's going to be a very very very tight tie, and could really do either way.

IMO in terms of the squad, United's defence is better than Inters, but since we've got pretty bad injuries, especially in the first leg, it'll even itself out.
    Ferdinand imo will need to put in one of those games to get through this tie with a clean sheet. Ibrahimovic is such an odd player, his technical skills can be matched by Ferdinaind, but his skills in the air I think are better, but Ferdinand should be able to keep up. I'd have liked to have Vidic. Him vs. Evans in the air is a very bad contest for United.
    That's why I think if he's fit, I'd expect O'Shea to start. He can match him for height something Rafael can't do. Also I think most United fans know, that even though Rafael has started well, defensively he is still suspect. Would like to have Brown back for this game.
    We're also missing Hargreaves, so we'll need Fletcher to step up. [Unless Fergie goes crazy attacking, plays a 4-4-2, with Carrick and Giggs/Scholes, which I'd be very surprised about]

Normally I hate playing Mourinho, but the one benefit of this time is that he hasn't yet moulded his squad, especially his defence to the level he'd want them at. The one thing the Inter team are not great at is dealing with pace on the attack, so I'm hopeful we can punish them, maybe on the break. Thank god Rooney is in one of his scoring runs.

If we come out of this leg with a score draw I'd be very happy. Losing 2-1 even I'd be happy aswell. I wouldn't like to lose 1-0 (or any worse obviously). I'd probably take a 0-0 draw aswell.
    After Inter, the only other team that scares me is Barca.

Scholes last year champions league semi-final 2nd leg old trafford. His screamer got us to Moscow and tamed the mighty Barca. How many players do you think were capable of scoring that goal ? Berbatov the lazy fuk actually can do the whole moment of brilliance. I am sure the lads from the United thread will attest to this. To think Inter will beat us by two goals means your being very optimistic brother. The last time a team beat us by two or more was the Champions league semi-final 2nd leg 2007 when the real Milan (a team who were actually far better than us) hit us for three and went on to win the competition and before that you have to go all the way back to December 2004 when Fenerbache beat us by three but against a weakened team as it was the last group game and we were already qualified so I dont really count that one. Infact the last time a team beat us by two or more in a competitive european game were we had something to lose was the last 16 to Real Madrid 3-1 in april 2003. So as I said brother, very optimistic.

If they were playing against United's best defense their's no way they'd win by two goals but looking above with Fletcher possibly in defence I could easily see it happening. They have a great team, they're on form and coupled with Mourinho's formidableness at home it's probably going to be your most difficult match of the season and your most difficult European match in ages. Inter have bottled it in Europe in recent years so they haven't shown their true colors but if they bring the Serie A inter it's very possible and I think Mourinho should be able to give them the mentality to not bottle. Of course having said that, they were very very poor in the group stages so maybe he hasn't instilled a good European mindset in the squad

Match facts: Inter v Man Utd

Inter

UEFA milestones
    • The United game will be Inter's 300th match in UEFA club competition.

UEFA Champions League statistics
    • Javier Zanetti, Maicon, Esteban Cambiasso and Zlatan Ibrahimović have featured in all six of Inter's games in this season's competition, Zanetti and Maicon playing every minute.

Disciplinary information
    • Inter have no players suspended or within a booking of a ban.

Latest domestic information
    • Saturday 21 February: Bologna FC 1-2 FC Internazionale Milano (Britos 79; Cambiasso 56, Balotelli 81)
    Inter registered their fifth win in six Serie A matches at the Stadio Renato Dall'Ara. Ibrahimović and Sulley Muntari both squandered presentable opportunities before Cambiasso broke the deadlock, turning home Adriano's header. Bologna looked to have earned a point when Miguel Ángel Britos headed in but José Mourinho introduced Mario Balotelli and the striker made an immediate impact as his free-kick eluded everybody and went in off the far post. Inter then had Júlio César to thank for holding on to the points in a frenetic finale.

• Mourinho said: "Júlio César was fantastic because he did not do anything for 70 minutes but then was ready to make three great saves when we needed him. A great team needs a goalkeeper like him, who might not have many things to do during the game but can then suddenly become decisive."

• With Cristian Chivu and Nicolás Burdisso suspended and Walter Samuel rested, Mourinho fielded Nelson Rivas alongside Iván Córdoba in central defence. Dejan Stanković, who was initially rested, replaced Muntari at half-time while Maxwell was deployed in midfield with Davide Santon continuing at left-back.

• The Bologna win was Inter's seventh in ten Serie A outings since Matchday 6, their sole defeat coming with a 3-1 loss at Atalanta BC on 18 January. That ended a 13-match unbeaten run in the league, and the Nerazzurri followed it up with a 1-1 home draw against Cagliari Calcio before getting back on track with four wins in their next five matches, including a 2-1 home success against city rivals AC Milan on 15 February.

• Mourinho is unbeaten in a home league fixture since 23 February 2002 when SC Beira-Mar beat his FC Porto side 3-2, 110 games ago.

• Inter will face UC Sampdoria in the Coppa Italia semi-finals after seeing off Genoa CFC (3-1, aet) and Roma (2-1). The first leg is on 4 March.

• Santon made his Inter debut against Roma on 18 January, 16 days after turning 18, and is ever-present in the Nerazzurri starting XI since.

• Júlio César is the only player who has featured in all 25 Serie A games this season, playing every minute.

• In the league Inter are more prolific on their travels than they are at San Siro, scoring 26 of their 44 goals on the road.

• The Nerazzurri have lost just once at home in all competitions this season, 1-0 to Panathinaikos on Matchday 5.

UEFA Champions League squad list changes
    • In:
    Walter Samuel
    Nelson Rivas
    Mario Balotelli
    Vid Belec
    Rene Krhin

• Out:
    Ricardo Quaresma (Chelsea FC, loan)

• Olivier Dacourt has joined Fulham FC on loan until the end of the season.

Injury news
    • Against Milan, Mourinho had the luxury of a fully-fit squad for the first time this season.

Miscellaneous
    • Adriano celebrated his 27th birthday on 17 February.

• Roberto Mancini, who left Inter in May, was voted Serie A's coach of 2007/08 by his peers.

• On 19 January Ibrahimović received three accolades from the Italian Association of Footballers. The Swedish international was named best player and best foreign player, completing his hat-trick with the goal of 2008 for a back-heeled volley against Bologna in October.

Manchester United

UEFA milestones
    • United equalled the longest unbeaten run in UEFA Champions League history with a 2-2 draw against AaB on Matchday 6. The holders last lost in the competition at AC Milan on 2 May 2007 and are unbeaten in their last 19 matches, winning eleven. AFC Ajax (14 September 1994 to 3 April 1996) and FC Bayern München (14 March 2001 to 10 April 2002) share the record of 19 matches without defeat.

• The first leg with Inter will be United's 200th match in the European Champion Clubs' Cup.

UEFA Champions League statistics
    • Nani, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tévez have featured in all six of United's games in this season's competition although none have played every minute.

• Cristiano Ronaldo has had 12 shots on target to date, the joint highest total in the competition.

• United conceded just three goals in the group stage, the joint best record in the competition along with Juventus.

• The holders have managed 53 shots wide and won 48 corners to date, more than any other team.

• United have collected only five yellow cards, fewer than any other team.

Disciplinary information
    • Nemanja Vidić serves a one-match ban against Inter following his red card in the FIFA Club World Cup final.

Latest domestic information
    • Saturday 21 February: Manchester United FC 2-1 Blackburn Rovers FC (Rooney 23, Ronaldo 60; Santa Cruz 32)
    Rooney scored his fourth goal in as many league games to give United the lead at Old Trafford, prodding in a fine pass from Nani, only for Roque Santa Cruz to bring Blackburn level with a composed finish, ending United's long run without conceding a goal. Ronaldo restored United's advantage with a fine free-kick to secure a tenth successive Premier League victory.

• "Sometimes when you don't play your very best you get a result like that and that's what wins you the title, we hope," said Sir Alex Ferguson. "It's a great lesson today, it shows you what this league is like. It's a difficult league and we have to dismiss all the talk about us winning it. This is a reminder for us that we need to fight for our lives in every game."

• Santa Cruz's goal was the first United had conceded in the Premier League in 1,334 minutes, since Samir Nasri's strike in the 48th minute of the 2-1 defeat at Arsenal FC on 8 November. They had kept 14 consecutive clean sheets.

• With Tomasz Kuszczak deputising for the rested Edwin van der Sar against Blackburn, the Dutch veteran is still on course to surpass the European top-flight record of former Club Brugge KV goalkeeper Dany Verlinden. Van der Sar is 89 minutes away from breaking the Belgian's mark of 1,390 minutes without conceding a goal, set between 3 March and 26 September 1990.

• Eight of United's last 13 Premier League matches have ended in a 1-0 win.

• United have claimed 16 victories in their last 17 games in all competitions.

• The sole blemish in that winning run came with a 1-0 defeat at Derby County FC in the first leg of the English League Cup semi-final. United won 4-2 at Old Trafford, however, and will take on holders Tottenham Hotspur FC in the final at Wembley on 1 March.

• United have also made serene progress in the FA Cup, overcoming Southampton FC (3-0), Tottenham (2-1) and Derby (4-1) to reach the quarter-finals, where they will travel to either Swansea City AFC or Fulham FC on 7 March.

• Ryan Giggs registered the only goal in United's win at West Ham United FC on 8 February, meaning he has scored a league goal in each of his 19 seasons with the club. The Welshman is also the only player to find the net in all 17 seasons of the Premier League era.

• Santa Cruz's goal was the first United had conceded in the last 15 minutes of the first half of a league game this season, although they are still unbreached in the opening 15 minutes.

• Sir Alex was named the Premier League's manager of the month for the 22nd time in January as Vidić collected the player's prize.

UEFA Champions League squad list changes
    • In:
    Federico Macheda
    Davide Petrucci

• Out:
    Owen Hargreaves

• Hargreaves is not expected to play again this season having been out since 21 September due to a knee injury.

• In January United paid a reported €17m to FK Partizan for Serbian duo Zoran Tošić and Adam Ljajić. with the latter returning to the Belgrade club on loan for the rest of the season. Tošić is ineligible for the UEFA Champions League.

Injury news
    • Wes Brown – out 25 October to 27 January (ankle)
    • Jonny Evans – out 20 January to 15 February (ankle)
    • Wayne Rooney – out 14 January to 18 February (hamstring)
    • Patrice Evra – out 11 January to 15 February (foot)
    • Anderson – out since 20 January (ankle)
    • John O'Shea – out since 18 February (heel)

Miscellaneous
    • Ji-Sung Park celebrates his 28th birthday on 25 February, the day after the first leg against Inter.

• Giggs, Gary Neville and Van der Sar have all signed one-year contract extensions with United, tying them to Old Trafford until June 2010. Sir Alex confirmed that for Van der Sar "next year will be his last."

• In December Dimitar Berbatov was named as the Bulgarian Player of the Year for the fifth time, equalling the record of Hristo Stoichkov. The United striker also collected the accolade in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2007.

• United have announced a summer tour of Asia, with the team playing games in China, Korea Republic, Indonesia and Malaysia in late July.

• United became the first English club to win the FIFA Club World Cup with a 1-0 win against LDU de Quito in Yokohama, Japan on 21 December, despite ending with ten men following Vidić's red card early in the second half. Rooney scored the only goal having also struck twice as a substitute in the 5-3 semi-final defeat of Gamba Osaka, when Vidić, Ronaldo and Darren Fletcher also found the net.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=16384/newsid=790651.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

besty wrote: »
    We are in a bit of trouble with these injuries/Vidic's suspension. I reckon we'll see something like;

VDS
    Rafael
    JO'S
    Rio---Evra
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney

Berbagod

Think we'll see this line up too. Real bummer not having Vidic for this one. Would be happy to see a score draw but i think a win is certainly a possibility(For United i mean!). Forgetting our defensive worries, i think our attack is far superior.

Really cant wait for this one. Is on ITV HD too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This will be a huge huge huge test for Rafael if he does play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

For Utd its all about getting away for Italy with somekind of result , Yes an away goal would be great , but once the tie is still alive for the second leg . Think we have the front players to overturn any reasonable score line at home also add the fact that Vidic plays , Think Utd have enough to get through over two legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Our defence is making me nervous for this game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement