Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan v Manchester United Match Thread 24th Feb 09

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Trilla wrote: »
    Evans O Shea and Ronaldo best for United

I thought O'Shea had a decent game but I have to hand it to the guy when Inter went out in the second half and obviously targeted him - sending Ibra out on him one-on-one - he handled it well. Ibra got by him twice and it looked like he was going to be the weak link, but then he seemed to just say to himself 'feck this' and then next time the ball came over he got in ahead of Ibra and handled it well after that. Fair play to him - think its Johnny's best season since his debut season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mercuroman wrote: »
    I thought O'Shea had a decent game but I have to hand it to the guy when Inter went out in the second half and obviously targeted him - sending Ibra out on him one-on-one - he handled it well. Ibra got by him twice and it looked like he was going to be the weak link, but then he seemed to just say to himself 'feck this' and then next time the ball came over he got in ahead of Ibra and handled it well after that. Fair play to him - think its Johnny's best season since his debut season.
    I agree - and i would say the fact he has played a lot due to injuries and suspensions is a big part of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Think Ronaldo had one of his best games for a while , And I think the keg to this was he discipline he showen last night ,played as a winger and stayed out wide for the most of the game. Which lead to him causing problems for Inter all night . I believe he was playing to very clear instructions,

He has done that for pretty much the whole season. The only time he has started wandering in side has been when we have been needing a goal in the last 15 minutes. He didn't do this last though as I think Fergie was happy with the draw and the players knew this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree, was well impressed to see him go through someone a-la-Scholes (except he got the ball) at one point :D

Rooney musta been well p*ssed off to get booked for his perfect tackle btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I was referring to the Ibra would score 90% of those (conservative estimate) which is 100% true, bring it up in the next Serie A thread if you want educated input on it as opposed to alot of people here who just don't watch that league yet feel the need to comment on how **** he is anyway. Man Utd dominated the first half and the game over all but Inter had better chances so overall I'd say it was an even game

Just for the record, you can't call something a conservative estimate and then claim it's 100% true - it's either one thing or the other.

Well actually it can also be neither as in this case, but never both...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Jesus christ, who the hell thought that they were real stats. Normally Ibra scores that every time. There you go. Makes no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Dave! wrote: »

especially considering Cordoba came through him with 2 feet! He (Cordoba) was one lucky camper. Was sorry to see Titus Bramble's twin, Rivas, go off at half time. Think Cordoba is a good defender, tough little nut. Was surprised he didn't start.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Jesus christ, who the hell thought that they were real stats. Normally Ibra scores that every time. There you go. Makes no difference

I was just pointing out the foolishness of your statement tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I was really annoyed at this...completely fair challenge. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us later in the tournament.

Actually - how do the yellows work? Were they wiped clean after the group stages or is it after this round? And anyone know where I can see who is carrying yellows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ffs lads

sex_panther.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I thought O'Shea had a decent game but I have to hand it to the guy when Inter went out in the second half and obviously targeted him - sending Ibra out on him one-on-one - he handled it well.

Was funny when he knocked Adriano off the ball with ease one time in the second half. We all laughed, that wouldnt happen in pro evo! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I thought O Shea was a real liability last night.

Evra was pure and utter class.

Ronaldo had an excellent game.

Im disappointed with the result though. I thought we should have beaten them.

I thought O Shea was a real liability last night.

Evra was pure and utter class.

Ronaldo had an excellent game.

Im disappointed with the result though. I thought we should have beaten them.

:eek:

I thought O'Shea had a great game tbh

keane2097 wrote: »
    :eek:

I thought O'Shea had a great game tbh

Really? I think maybe I am thinking of a few touches in the first half where he literally passed it to Adriano and I am attributing that to his whole game.

Then there is the fact that OShea is a horrible footballer.

I really dont think he is good enough to be at United at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Really? I think maybe I am thinking of a few touches in the first half where he literally passed it to Adriano and I am attributing that to his whole game.

how can you say he's not good enough for utd

he was brilliant for us when evra was injured

its very hard to find players like john that are satisfied to be on the bench but does a great job when needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, the manager who's won ten league titles and two european cups thinks otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I would have prefered the score draw obviously but I'll take it. I'd say with Jose back at OT the crowd will be up for it ala Barca last season.

Headshot wrote: »
    how can you say he's not good enough for utd

he was brilliant for us when evra was injured
    Aren't they always? :D

Hah did ye hear just before the first break (after the match), Bill said "I have to ask ye one question, loike...." and then listed all the teams still in it and tried to ask a question only to be met with "I don't know what you're talking about" and "what's your point, Bill?" :D

I can't decide who's the funniest on that panel, they're all heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah let's keep him, he is never good enough to be in a starting 11 and he knows it but he is decent back up and never complains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Aren't they always? :D

Hah did ye hear just before the first break (after the match), Bill said "I have to ask ye one question, loike...." and then listed all the teams still in it and tried to ask a question only to be met with "I don't know what you're talking about" and "what's your point, Bill?" :D

I can't decide who's the funniest on that panel, they're all heroes.

:pac:

loved the rte panel last night, also did you hear Bill quoting a newspaper about utd fans hate jos

Worst post ever. One really bad pass in the first half - thats it. Any Irishman (that took his scouser wig and tinted glasses off) that wasn't pleased with his performance last night is either demented or expecting the spawn of Paulo Maldini and Paul McGrath combined on steroids and not allergic to Kryptonite, which in my opinion is fairly demented!

Well then you would be wrong. When the squad is fit he is our second choice left back (behing Evra), fourth/fifth choice center half (behind Vidic/Rio/Evans/Brown), and fourth/third choice right back(behind Brown/Neville/Rafeal). Saying he is not good to for that squad role is just wrong in every way.

Edit you can also add Hargreaves into the right back spot when fit, and Fabio in the left back spot if he can duplicate Rafeals performances when needed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Correct me if I'm wrong but after Vidic and VDS wasn't O'Shea the most present for our run of clean sheets in the league?

He's a gem of a player and, as our lack of defensive cover proved last night, vital to united being competitive on all fronts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but after Vidic and VDS wasn't O'Shea the most present for our run of clean sheets in the league?

He's a gem of a player and, as our lack of defensive cover proved last night, vital to united being competitive on all fronts.
    Yes x2

You are correct sir.

I don't know about a gem of a player(he would be first choice then) but I don't think you could name another player who would be happy with the role John O'Shea has and be as reliable as he has become in three positions.

• Advertisement

I think OShea is a horrible footballer. Anything I say about him will be negative. I dont rate him at all. He has a dire first touch, no vision, cant really pass more than 15 yards and is a mediocre defender. On the plus side, he is big.

The clean sheets stat is ridiculous and actually means nothing. Its a silly skewed stat that people will use to try and convince you of OSheas talent.

He is an average squad player that is it. And me being Irish has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think OShea is a horrible footballer. Anything I say about him will be negative. I dont rate him at all. He has a dire first touch, no vision, cant really pass more than 15 yards and is a mediocre defender. On the plus side, he is big.

The clean sheets stat is ridiculous and actually means nothing. Its a silly skewed stat that people will use to try and convince you of OSheas talent.

He is an average squad player that is it. And me being Irish has nothing to do with it.
    Average squad player == Horrible footballer. Awesome that is.

horrible footballer - average squad player

So the criteria for an squad player at Manchester United; World, CL and Premier league champions is to be classed as a "horrible footballer".

Feck this software engineering lark, wheres me boots I'm off to the motherland to make cazupleduberzillions of sterling.

snap!

Trilla wrote: »
    So the criteria for an squad player at Manchester United; World, CL and Premier league champions is to be classed as a "horrible footballer".

Feck this software engineering lark, wheres me boots I'm off to the motherland to make cazupleduberzillions of sterling.

Like I said I am probably being harsh to the chap. He would be a star at Middlesborough or Bolton or someone. He just isnt good enough for United at all. Technically he is a duck.

• Advertisement

Seriously what the f*ck do you want from a squad player?

Barely even a second choice squad player!

Dire first choice, no vision, can't pass more than 15 yards. Jesus these are things you look for in a midfielder or forward not what you look for in a f*ckin stand in defender.

The first and foremost thing John O'Shea has to do is defend! That is it, and he he has done very reliably for at least three seasons now. He done it well last night too especially considering he had Ronaldo in front of him for most of the game.

The second thing he has to do is try keep position when he does win it. Not go setting up attacks, or playing defense splitting balls. Simple keep possession, and apart from one nervous pass in the first half yesterday he done that.

Picking on John O'Shea for yesterdays performance is boarding on idiocy. In fact it is idiocy. We kept a clean sheet, like many of the times we have when John O'Shea has played this season. Its not his job to put the ball in the back of the net.

Also did you miss his assist on Saturday.

You're only saying that because it disproves your argument.

How is it that the fact that he was the player who played the second most games during an unbelievable defensive run "actually means nothing"?

That statement is fully retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think OShea is a horrible footballer.

United would win Féck all without the likes of O'Shea, model professional, priceless to any team with aspirations of more than one trophy a season.

As for last night, thought he grew into the game and ended it very well, even more impressive when you consider Ronaldo offers little protection, something that has to be factored in when summing up his performance, It's actually one of the reasons I think Brown should have made it into the premier league team of the year last season TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

VDS
    ----Fletch O'Shea Rio Evra

Carrick

Giggs

Park Ronaldo

Rooney

Berba

1-2
    Cambiasso - Park, Berba

Thinki done well prediting the system that we'ld play! pity about the scoreline tho altho could ahve been soo soo close ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

*sigh*

Mod note:

There's a match topic here for people to discuss tonight's match. Anything else is off-topic, and will be deleted. Any further off-topic posts risk infraction and/or bans. I do hope that is taken on board.

Thank you.

See this? It's still valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

*sigh*

I was discussing matters relevant to the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

*sigh*

I was discussing matters relevant to the match?

You were talking about the quality of punditry, which has nothing to do with the match. If you've a problem with my warning you're welcome to PM me to discuss it, or make a complaint in the Help Desk or Feedback forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

I think Inter will win the Champions League!!!

That what you're looking for? I ain't too sure.

Advertisement