Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan v Manchester United Match Thread 24th Feb 09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zonda999 wrote: »

Really cant wait for this one. Is on ITV HD too!:D
    nice one ;)
    Smegball wrote: »
    This will be a huge huge huge test for Rafael if he does play.

hopefully he plays alot better,he was woeful against blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A7X wrote: »
    Our defence is making me nervous for this game.

I find that ab it strange considering the recent run, but its kinda justified without Vidic.

Hey, to come to think of it, inter could be feeling the same way about our defense, being nervous about it i mean! I guess they know how pivotal Vidic is too, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Really cant wait for this one. Is on ITV HD too!:D

ah now come on. You have to watch it on RTE just for the comedians that analyise it.

I find that ab it strange considering the recent run, but its kinda justified without Vidic.

Hey, to come to think of it, inter could be feeling the same way about our defense, being nervous about it i mean! I guess they know how pivotal Vidic is too, though

Well it's mostly because of the absense of Vidic, but now its being changed again.

I mean, you could blatently see the difference that Vidic makes. In the last few minutes of the game yesterday he provided us with many crucial headers and clearances during Blackburns late attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A7X wrote: »
    ah now come on. You have to watch it on RTE just for the comedians that analyise it.

Meh, i might will flick over to Bill and crew at the break! I predict Ronaldo bashing to be the main talking point of the match from Dunphy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    For Utd its all about getting away for Italy with somekind of result , Yes an away goal would be great , but once the tie is still alive for the second leg . Think we have the front players to overturn any reasonable score line at home also add the fact that Vidic plays , Think Utd have enough to get through over two legs.

+ 1 - even a 1-0 win to Inter wouldn't be a complete catasrophe given our injury concerns..

Meh, i might will flick over to Bill and crew at the break! I predict Ronaldo bashing to be the main talking point of the match from Dunphy!

Aye. He really does hate Ronnie. But I just find them so ridiculous at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

****, just realised I'm gonna be in Liverpool that night on a session. Cheering for United in a pub in Liverpool, Good idea/Bad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just stay on the Everton side of town and you'll be fine :)

• Advertisement

it seems inter's defender walter samuel is set to miss tuesdays game

evans's ankle is at him again,and that kept him out for over a week if my memory serves me right

so id say he wont make it

O'shea id say will make it

he'll probly get a few injections for the pain

tbh he has to make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

how about wing backs?

Raf Fletch Rio Evra and Fabio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kida wrote: »
    how about wing backs?

Raf Fletch Rio Evra and Fabio

good god no!!

We need either O'Shea or Evans to play through the pain, we have no other centre backs and are not practiced with anything bar 4 at the back. We don't even have any youngsters (really) that we could call on. Most of the reserves defenders are either injured or out on loan - the academy guys are playing for the reserves atm, no way would I play any of them in the San Siro.

As i say, we need one of our injured defenders to pull through and we need Rio and Carrick to put in massive performances.

It was already going to be a very tough game, and now it is looking a lot tougher, given that I though we'd have Wes back for this.

It will be interesting to see what Fergie does in midfield and attack, given the problems at the back. We will need the midfield to be fairly defensive and very hard working, but then we still need that to be able to feed whatever offensive players we have on the pitch.

Carrick is nailed on for a start imo. I'd be looking at Fletcher and Giggs too, all as part of a midfield three. Ronaldo and Rooney will also play, of that I am certain. Then it becomes a choice between Berbatov and Park. Berbatov is clearly the attacking choice, but I just wonder if Fergie will go with 1 up front (rotation between Rooney and Ronnie) with Park on the wing. Giving what would, defensively be a midfield 5 of Park..Fletcher..Carrick..Giggs.. Rooney, and then Ronnie as the lead striker (as we played in Roma and Barcelona last season iirc) Park and Rooney providing protection on the flanks for Evra and Raf.

EDIT: Both O'Shea and Evans have travelled with the United squad to Milan, so Fergie must remain hopefull that either/both will be ok to play.

So, Rafael is also out... didn't realise that. Bugger. We desperately need both O'Shea and Evans to be able to play tomorrow so. With both of them we could select a backline of Evra..Evans..Rio..O'Shea. Without either we'd be looking at Evra..Carrick(??)..Rio..Fletcher.

Would not be confident with the second back line.

Bloody hell, its always our defences that gets torn apart with injuries.

The six defenders that have travelled are Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio and Eckersley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rio will probably do his back in lifting a suitcase or somethin...

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    The six defenders that have travelled are Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio and Eckersley.

If all are fit i'd be ok - but the question marks over Evans and O'Shea are a worry. I wouldn't mind Eckersley at RB, at least we'd be sure the Inter wingers would know a few tackles had been put in on them but Fabio offers nothing really. He is a LB only, and him playing means that either Evra is injured or playing out of position, and neither is a good scenario. I wonder if Fergie would consider playing Fabio at RB (not sure why he'd chose him there over Eckersley) as he is, i believe, right footed (took his recent penalty for the reserves right footed)

Dave! wrote: »

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO.

Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwood Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!! Touch wood!!

dave wtf
    if anything happens Rio,ill hunt you down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fabio is right footed, so I'd imagine he could do a job there. However I'd say Fergie would pick Fletcher there ahead of him, but we also need Fletcher for midfield. Serious defensive crisis here to be honest.

I expect O'Shea to play through the pain, its a heel injury apparently, which means it'll just hurt like **** rather than stop him from playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

VDS

Eckersley
    Rio
    O'Shea
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Giggs
    Park

Rooney
    Berbatov

For me

• Advertisement

....................vds

Eckersley..Rio..(Fit defender)..Evra

Park...Fletcher..Carrck..Giggs..Rooney

..................Ronaldo

If both Evans and O'Shea can play then O'Shea at RB and Evans at CB.

The defence will end up picking itself really, Fergies main selection problems are going to come in midfield and attack, as I have said earlier. The defence is going to need a lot of protection, so I can see it being a 5 man midfield with Rooney on the wing. The issue, imo, then becomes whether Park or Berbatov plays, and thus where Ronaldo plays. Of course it could be Ronaldo on the bench with Berbs up top, but I don't see Ronaldo getting dropped, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not sure you could replace Ronaldo with Berb in that formation. He comes too deep for an already crowded 3 man midfield and would leave us with no one up front. I think Mitch's formation is most likely. As I said before I would be happy to have Tevez do a stint in the middle too if we need him for example if fletch is needed in defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

*cocks shotgun*

You are going to be Rio's monkey boy now.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a draw, United will park the bus, and try to grab something on the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

With the injuries to the defense I have changed my mind. I think we may need to do a containment job here and park the bus in a way and hope we can get something on the break. In fairness this could have been Fergies thinking anyway.

I am hoping that both Evans and O'Shea can make it. Even if it requires injections we have an FA cup game they can sit out as well as having Vidic back. So hopefully they are an option.

VDS
    O'Shea--Ferdinand---Evans--Evra
    Carrick--Fletcher
    -Rooney
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Berbatov

If one of Evans or O'Shea can't make I expect Fletcher to go to right back Giggs to drop deeper, and Tevez or Park to come into the team.

Fabio is an option cause although he is a left back I think he is actually right footed. Or at least has a decent right foot on him. He is supposedly more defensively sound than Rafeal but putting him or Eckersley in this game is a massive risk.

I expect one of O'Shea and Evans to make it. If both of them don't I honestly don't know what we would do. Possibly

Fletcher-Eckersley-Ferdinand--Evra.

Its going to be a very nervous wait to see that team sheet.

I dunno. If we do just park the bus thats an awful lot of pressure on the defence. I think we really need the midfield to show up and take as much of the pressure off the defence as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

Eckersley at RB??? Against Inter Milan away??? in the knockout stages of the champions league???

imo this would be a huge mistake.

I think experience in such an intimidating setting would be far more important then a player who is farmiliar with a particular position.

ie. Eckersley has played twice for Uniteds first team...no big game experience and very little experience playing with that back four(3)...and to say inter milan away is being thrown in at the deep end is more then an understatement......id prefer putting fletcher back there, a player who has numerous champions league appearances under his belt, with experience in big stadiums in front of big crowds...knowing that every mistake is not the end of the world and being comfortable with the ball at his feet.

so imo, worst comes to worst,...fletcher right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Looks like Evans is v v v unlikely to make it. Here's hoping O'Shea can fill the CB spot. That will leave Eckersley/Fletcher for right back.

God help us if we have any of the remaining defenders injured on the night.

D.S. wrote: »

God help us if we have any of the remaining defenders injured on the night.

we can blame dave

ill get the pitch-forks and torches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

United are too good at the moment not to go through really, although I'll be rooting for Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I wouldn't play Eckersley unless we had absolutely no other defenders to play there. Nothing against him, but he doesn't have near enough experience to play in a match this important. Fletcher can do a job at right back, or even if Fabio plays right back and Fletcher plays in the centre (assuming O'Shea & Evans aren't fit). It'd be dodgy, but Fletcher is (hopefully) experience enough not to make any stupid mistakes that come with playing out of position.

I realised today I won't be able to watch the first leg because I have to play a match at 8pm. I've been debating - is it a fair trade to miss a match of this magnitude if it's to actually play football? Especially when I'm infinitely better at watching football than playing it.

• Advertisement

Eckersley at RB??? Against Inter Milan away??? in the knockout stages of the champions league???

imo this would be a huge mistake.

I think experience in such an intimidating setting would be far more important then a player who is farmiliar with a particular position.

ie. Eckersley has played twice for Uniteds first team...no big game experience and very little experience playing with that back four(3)...and to say inter milan away is being thrown in at the deep end is more then an understatement......id prefer putting fletcher back there, a player who has numerous champions league appearances under his belt, with experience in big stadiums in front of big crowds...knowing that every mistake is not the end of the world and being comfortable with the ball at his feet.

so imo, worst comes to worst,...fletcher right back.
    I wouldn't pick Eckersley lightly, but the fact is that he is the only fit right back in the squad, if O'Shea doesn't make it, and we might need O'Shea at CB. He is, imo, a better right back than Fletcher, and we will need the hustle and energy of Fletcher in midfield. Experience is a problem, and that is why I would pack the midfield and put Park in front of him. With Giggs and Carrick we have some good creativity in the middle and good scoring changes with Rooney and Ronaldo. We have to look at the game pragmatically, our defence is in pieces and we need to set up the defence, midfield and attack to deal with this.

Tom65 wrote: »
    I wouldn't play Eckersley unless we had absolutely no other defenders to play there. Nothing against him, but he doesn't have near enough experience to play in a match this important. Fletcher can do a job at right back, or even if Fabio plays right back and Fletcher plays in the centre (assuming O'Shea & Evans aren't fit). It'd be dodgy, but Fletcher is (hopefully) experience enough not to make any stupid mistakes that come with playing out of position.

I realised today I won't be able to watch the first leg because I have to play a match at 8pm. I've been debating - is it a fair trade to miss a match of this magnitude if it's to actually play football? Especially when I'm infinitely better at watching football than playing it.

In addition to my comments on Eckersley above - i don't understand how you can balk at the suggestion of him playing there, and then suggest Fabio plays there. Fabio, although right footed, is a LB and has either the same or less experience as Eckersley. Why on earth would you go for Fabio over him? An attacking left back over natural, defensive right back? Don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do people feel that Ekersley doesn't have enough experience at this level (I agree with them by the way) but then they think that Fabio does?

Not looking forward to this game, think we'll loose 2-1 to Inter although I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Man Utd squad: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Ferdinand, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio, Eckersley, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck

If the worse came to pass (Evans or O'Shea doesnt make it) then Giggs could do a decent job at left back as we have seen before he does know how to get stuck in and push Evra to RB and if one of the above is fit then slot them in the centre with ferdinand.

If I saw this team below then I wouldnt be overly worried tbh.

VDS
    EVRA
    FERDINAND
    O'SHEA/EVANS
    GIGGS
    RONALDO
    FLETCH
    CARRICK
    PARK
    ROONEY
    BERBATOV

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Sorry haven't read the whole thread, what happened to Raphael?

Rafa is injured.

Sir Alex will be joined by Dimitar Berbatov at the press conference at the San Siro later (approx 16:30). Then training is at 17:00. Sky Sports website should have the tress conference video up shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will it be on MUTV ye reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Ferdinand, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Fabio, Eckersley, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Possebon, Gibson, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck

Van Der sar
    Fletcher
    Oshea---Ferdinand
    Evra
    Park
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Giggs

Rooney

If Oshea aint fit then ive read from a lot of different websites/articles/posts that evra may be considered at centre half??? i think high balls are fired at him when hes at left back never mind in the centre and we could be inviting some serious presure with that move. so if evans and oshea are out...id go with sticking carrick in a centre half based on nothing more then desperation and the fact that hes a very intelligent player with a bit more of a frame to him as a centre half. slot giggs in next to scholes and get tevez on the pitch...away...to milan...with the defensive problems we're having? berba might be a bit of a luxury...although if hes at the rpess conference with Fergie it suggests he might be a starter no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Think we could see something like this;

VDS
    Fletch
    O'Shea
    Rio
    Evra
    Carrick

Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney
    Berbatov

I can't see Berbatov not starting this game to be honest.

However him being at the press conference does not really point to anything. I remember reading before that they do a draw between the squad for these things or they have a rota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ibrahimovic has come out and stated that he wants to show he is a better player than both Wayne Rooney and Berbatov. I think he is better than both of them, but he's just adding a bit extra fuel to a nice developing rivalry. :D

Remember when we argued over whether Evans or Wes should be at centre back for this match? I miss those days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

D.S. wrote: »
    Id expect Fergie to go with a 5 man midfield here and play for a draw/nick a goal on the counter..it's going to be a tight tight game Id say...No vida is going to make for v uncomfortable watching..

I'm so excited... I just can't hide it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I've heard O'Shea is likely to make it.

It is only a bruised heel that he is out with so I'm sure they could give him pain-killing injections if the worst comes to the worst.

So, how many of our defenders are actually injured/unavailable?

Gaz Nev
    Rafael
    Evans
    Vidic
    Brown

Am I forgetting anyone? (Assuming JOS makes it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Would like to see:

VDS
    Fletcher Rio O'Shea Evra
    Park Giggs Carrick Ronaldo
    Rooney Berbatov

If Giggs could turn it on, and boss it like he did in the Chelsea game we would be sorted.

didnt Fletcher play rb once and was total ****e

maybe im mistaken but i taught he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Headshot wrote: »
    didnt Fletcher play rb once and was total ****e

maybe im mistaken but i taught he did
    Think he only played there for about 15 mins in the Carling Cup semi-final 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic has come out and stated that he wants to show he is a better player than both Wayne Rooney and Berbatov. I think he is better than both of them, but he's just adding a bit extra fuel to a nice developing rivalry. :D

Rooney and Berbatov are a class above I'm afraid. From what I have seen of Berbatov this season there isn't a more natural footballer on the planet than the Bulgarian, he makes me smile when I watch him, pure genius.

So the press conference didn't really clear anything up.

O'Shea and Evans to have late fitness tests. Evans has not been able to train while O'Shea will be doing a light session on his own.

Looks like O'Shea will make it once he doesn't get a reaction after the training, while Evans will be given all the time he needs but it looks very doubtful.

Don't think I will enjoy this match at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement