Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan v Manchester United Match Thread 24th Feb 09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Boggles wrote: »
    Who said that Alan?

It was a preemptive strike. As the argument/conversation has been had a couple of times this season, I could feel it happening again when we should be concentrating on who actually could be in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was a preemptive strike. As the argument/conversation has been had a couple of times this season, I could feel it happening again when we should be concentrating on who actually could be in the team.

Fair enough Commander Murphy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Depends what he ment - i took it that he is considering a change of position within the usual formation, so we are going for a different formation tonight to cover the issues in defence.

he's probly going for berba up front and Rooney on the left

which ill hate to see

I wouldn't be overly surprised if Evra, Ferdinand, Evans and O'Shea started in defense, Ferguson playing silly buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Highsider wrote: »
    Can't see anything but an Inter Milan win here. Mourinho always gets the better of Mr. Ferguson and don't think it will be any different over the two legs. Also can see Rooney getting singled out for some rough treatment and losing his head.3-1 to Inter

How shortsighted brother !

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    he's probly going for berba up front and Rooney on the left

which ill hate to see

Although we hate to see it. Sometimes it is needed otherwise you are looking at dropping one of Rooney and Berbatov. Rooney doesn't do well up front on his own. Berbatov might we have to wait and see. It also gives us flexibility on the pitch to change things around without the need of a substitution.
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if Evra, Ferdinand, Evans and O'Shea started in defense, Ferguson playing silly buggers.

With Evans sitting out training yesterday I find it hard to be positive about him. O'Shea yes, but Evans I dunno.

Not sure on Evans as he done nothing yesterday. No training for him so I am not sure he is going to pass the late fitness test and even if he did I wouldnt be to confident sticking him in there if he hasnt trained since the end of last week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I just realised I won't be able to watch this tonight :(

Hopefully United will pull a draw out of it at the very least, I know they're potentially good enough to win it though...
    That said, a score defeat (2-1 or whatever) wouldn't be a disaster.

redout wrote: »
    Not sure on Evans as he done nothing yesterday. No training for him so I am not sure he is going to pass the late fitness test and even if he did I wouldnt be to confident sticking him in there if he hasnt trained since the end of last week.

Ah he played 60 minutes on Saturday. So I would say its only two days without football. Wouldn't be a massive problem once he doesn't feel any restricted movement when going onto the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I still reckon that, at best, we'll see Evans on the bench, and even then only there for an absolute emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

bet united fans never thought they'd see the day they'd be sweating over johnny evans fitness. Fair play to evans though he got put in a few times at the deep end this season and didnt look out of place.(As a pool fan thats as good a compliment i can give).

I think it'll be tough going for united tonight over there, Inter know this is their chance big time but i can see ye getting the away goal which will be massive in a tie like this. i'm looking towards 2 - 1 Inter or 1 - 1.

vds
    raf---Rio
    oshea
    evra
    carrick
    Rooney---giggs --Fletcher---Ronaldo
    berba

actually i changed my mind about Rooneys position you can't have him on the left

the right side is going be a worry for me tonight

vds
    raf---Rio
    oshea
    evra
    carrick
    Rooney---giggs --Fletcher---Ronaldo
    berba

actually i changed my mind about Rooneys position you can't have him on the left

the right side is going be a worry for me tonight

Rafael is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

And Pique is doing so well at Barca, getting better every game.

Rafael is injured.

oh ya ****ing forgot

looks like it could be fabio according to Fergie

oh ya ****ing forgot

which i would find odd given we have a right back in the squad.

Fabio Da Silva is set to get the nod at the back, according to manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Obviously we have some injuries and we won't know until Tuesday (whether the players will be fit). O'Shea did a light session on his own and Johnny Evans didn't train. Everyone else who travelled trained," he said.

"With Gary Neville and Wes Brown injured and Nemanja Vidic suspended for the game it is a worrying moment for us.

"I hope one will be OK, probably O'Shea. But that leaves us with a problem at right-back, probably young Da Silva (will play).

"I wish we were in a better position tomorrow defensively in terms of availability but that happens."

which i find very strange

maybe fergie thinks fabio is injured not raf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Rooney on the left has worked a charm in Europe over the past two years. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. United are very, solid when he plays there. True, they don't play as fluid a game as they otherwise would but winning is the aim of the game. However now that Park is performing at a high enough level to take over that role and let Rooney play up front we might see a typical-ish United set up tonight.

I'd still expect Rooney playing towards the left though. I think this game is made for Carlos Tevez. If he comes on early enough (or even starts :eek:) expect plenty of gaps at the back.

Confident United will at least get a draw here. 0-0 wouldn't be disastrous, 1-1 is my prediction.

Hindsight is great but realistically you can only have a certain squad size. Keeping both Evans and Pique happy this year would have been impossible IMO. You can't foresee these kind of injury problems.

Neville, Brown, Vidic (suspended), Rafeal all out.

O'Shea and Evans doubtful.

Then we have Hargreaves who was a stand in right back last year out as well.
    oh ya ****ing forgot

Where did ya get that from?

EDIT: Never mind you provide it already.

True but both don't have a lot of experience, and Fabio is right footed I believe. So maybe Fergie is just going with the better player.

which i find very strange

maybe fergie thinks fabio is injured not raf :D

Fabio is actually very good at right back. Perhaps even more so than Rafael. Don't think United will play the type of game that allows him to show how talented he is tonight.

• Advertisement

Ferguson just didn't rate him, will be interesting to see who is plying their trade at the top end in 5 years, himself or Evans, hopefully both.

RichTea wrote: »
    Rooney on the left has worked a charm in Europe over the past two years. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. United are very, solid when he plays there. True, they don't play as fluid a game as they otherwise would but winning is the aim of the game. However now that Park is performing at a high enough level to take over that role and let Rooney play up front we might see a typical-ish United set up tonight.

I'd still expect Rooney playing towards the left though. I think this game is made for Carlos Tevez. If he comes on early enough (or even starts :eek:) expect plenty of gaps at the back.

Confident United will at least get a draw here. 0-0 wouldn't be disastrous, 1-1 is my prediction.

The problem was never Park. The problem is Ronaldo. He hasn't been trusted in previous seasons to play on the wing so he has been pushed up front with Rooney taking his slot on the wings. Now with Berbatov in the squad and probably in the side its going to be interesting to see if Fergie will trust having him on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think both will be to be honest. I still think Pique is the superior player, but maybe just not as suited to the English league's physicality.

---

So it seems Fergie's ideal defence is

Fabio----Ferdinand---O'Shea/Evans---Evra

I think if i had to pick there, I'd pick O'Shea, for his presence in the air. I am quietly confident of Fabio putting in a good performance personally, I think he's better than Rafael defensively, more controlled in his play and his positioning.

---

As for the whole Ronaldo Berbatov issue, people seem to be forgetting that Berbatov has been playing normally behind Rooney in most games they've played together. I expect to see a front line along the lines of

---XXX
    Berbatov
    Rooney

Ronaldo

Ronaldo played up front for so many games in Europe, and I just wouldn't trust him to keep Inter's RB/LB at bay. Beyond that, he's surprisingly good at holding up the ball and bringing players into the game. Berbatov will drop into the middle, Rooney will always get stuck in.

Overall:

VDS
    --Fabio---Ferdinand---O'Shea----Evra--
    Carrick
    Giggs
    --Fletcher
    Berbatov
    Rooney--
    Ronaldo

Then agian, maybe he'll surprise us :) Ronaldo, Rooney Berbatov and Tevez up front, Carrick and Scholes in midfield, and just say **** it :)

---

I think overall the team will be

To be honest, i think Ronaldo has become more of a winger this season, and I actually think he is putting in more defencive effort this season too.

Ferguson just didn't rate him, will be interesting to see who is plying their trade at the top end in 5 years, himself or Evans, hopefully both.

Although I was disappointed to see Pique leave, the fact of the matter is that Evans is a better prospect at centre-back than the Barcelona man. Pique is more suited to La Liga anyway.

PHB wrote: »
    I think both will be to be honest. I still think Pique is the superior player, but maybe just not as suited to the English league's physicality.

Well PHB considering United play in England, that would make Evans the superior defender for us. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I do hope Darren Fletcher's performance wont be affected by the fact his house was robbed:)

Really lookin forward to this one now. Match in HD and pancakes at half time too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think he should put Fletcher in at right back. Fabio has no experience at all at this level. Sure I think he has only played about a half an hour for United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Part of me wants Utd to just go for it , Right if we are down to the bare bones at the back ,its more than likely that we will leek a goal or even two. So why not play to the strengths we have left, our forward players. And try to get an away goal or two , christ even 4-2 would not be the end of the tie.
    Worse case tonight would be 0-0 1-0 2-0 . IMO be a very dangerous scorelines to bring to OT .
    For madness

..............VDS...................

FABIO...RIO......????.......EVRA

RONALDO..CARRICK...SCHOLES..
    ......................................ROONEY
    ...............TEVEZ........
    ...............BERBS........

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Part of me wants Utd to just go for it , Right if we are down to the bare bones at the back ,its more than likely that we will leek a goal or even two. So why not play to the strengths we have left, our forward players. And try to get an away goal or two , christ even 4-2 would not be the end of the tie.
    Worse case tonight would be 0-0 1-0 2-0 . IMO be a very dangerous scorelines to bring to OT .
    For madness

..............VDS...................

FABIO...RIO......????.......EVRA

RONALDO..CARRICK...SCHOLES..
    ......................................ROONEY
    ...............TEVEZ........
    ...............BERBS........

I dont think 0-0 would be a bad result at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    , christ even 4-2 would not be the end of the tie.
    Worse case tonight would be 0-0

I just cannot understand how people can say this sort of thing!?

If we get a nil nil id be confident in our defence at home (Vida back and probably a RB available) to shut them out and our attack to finish the job.

0-0 > 4-2 surely?

Zonda999 wrote: »

Maybe not it just I don't know if my heart could take it in the second leg .
    It may not be a bad result but its still a very dangerous one . One slip up at home....................

Yea but surely the odds of a slip up tonight are far greater than at home.

I'd certainly take 0-0 over a 4-2 defeat (don't get why anyone would not) but i'd take a 1-1 draw a lot quicker!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I just cannot understand how people can say this sort of thing!?

If we get a nil nil id be confident in our defence at home (Vida back and probably a RB available) to shut them out and our attack to finish the job.

0-0 > 4-2 surely?

0-0 is one slip-up away from disaster Vidic back or not
    4-2 ok maybe a bit over the top but any scoreline with an away goal would be great for Utd in my view. For me the perfect result tonight would be 0-1 ,0-2 or I would take your arm off for 1-1 right now.

• Advertisement

I'd certainly take 0-0 over a 4-2 defeat (don't get why anyone would not) but i'd take a 1-1 draw a lot quicker!

I say 4-2 as part of my post about playing to your strengths (tonight) And yes 4-2 would not be great but my point was that it would not be the end of the tie, Think we have enough to overturn alot of results at home even 2 goals as any away goal could be priceless in the 2nd leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

My worry with a 0-0 is that there is pretty much nobody better than Mourinho at getting a goal, then closing the game. If it's 0-0, I can see them getting a goal early on (at OT) and just shutting up shop. Considering how we've struggled to break down mid table (and lower) PL teams this season, I'd worry about scoring against a Mourinho-led Inter who are doing the same.

Players aren't just about trophies. Zlatan is a top class player. I'm just hoping he has an off night, as I'm sure any sensible Inter fans are hoping the same of Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Dave! wrote: »
    Oh lawdy... once again you start making legitimate posts but end up losing and then resorting to thumbing your nose :) How sad

7 points baby, how's that workin out for ye?

Get a grip

strange one that i'll correct a mod but am can we stay on topic please or it will result in bans and warnings

Hey, its a pretty anticipated tie:)

To be honest, i preferred it a few years ago when there was a second group stage. Then, in a situation like this, you could be sure that United would be in the quarters anyways. That said, considering we're playing Inter now, our opponents in the quarters and indeed semi's may be easier. Why, could'nt Inter have just topped their group!! Then, we'd be playin Panathinaikos and i dont think anyone would be remotely worried!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

*sigh*

Mod note:

There's a match topic here for people to discuss tonight's match. Anything else is off-topic, and will be deleted. Any further off-topic posts risk infraction and/or bans. I do hope that is taken on board.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Iang87 wrote: »
    strange one that i'll correct a mod but am can we stay on topic please or it will result in bans and warnings

Dave! doesn't mod this forum. Nor do you, if you have a problem with a post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

VDS
    ----Fletch O'Shea Rio Evra

Carrick

Giggs

Park Ronaldo

Rooney

Berba

1-2
    Cambiasso - Park, Berba

Im really looking forward this this match

its along time since iv been this geared up for a match

Inter Milan v Manchester United has to thy match of the CL so far

Fergie v Mourinho
    current utd manager V possible future manager

im looking for to RTE prematch build up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Im really looking forward this this match

its along time since iv been this geared up for a match

Inter Milan v Manchester United has to thy match of the CL so far

Fergie v Mourinho
    current utd manager V possible future manager

im looking for to RTE prematch build up

Same here, it's our biggest challenge so far this season and there's an extra edge to it so I haven't been this nervous about a game this season. I'm driving my gf crazy talking about it all day. Gonna hit the offy for supplies soon.
    Was lookin at paddypower there, it's been a long time since I seen Ronaldo at 6/1 1st goal or United to win 1 - 0 at 6/1, just shows how difficult a game we have ahead of us, but these are the nights that make a season memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

This is gonna be so tough :(

I think Park will come in, he's great for the big games and will help a lot defensively as well which we need. I would actually prefer to see Fletch at RB as I think he can do a job there. Tevez could come on for Giggs if needs be, with Rooney switching out to the left. If Fabio is playing I think we defintely need Fletch or Park on the right for the extra defensive cover compared with Ronaldo.

.............VDS...................

FABIO...RIO......O'SHEA.......EVRA

PARK..CARRICK...GIGGS. RONALDO
    ...............ROONEY........
    ...............BERBA........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i can't see fabio playing i think it's be a big mistake especially at right back seen as he's a left back and more importantly becasue he hasn't really played at all, i'd prefer fletcher to be thrown back in defence if it comes to that

We need Fletcher in midfield though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When will we see a confirmed line up?

BBC
    1837: Breaking teams news... John O'Shea and Jonny Evans start, Wayne Rooney is on the bench for Manchester United.

• Advertisement
Advertisement