Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter Milan v Manchester United Match Thread 24th Feb 09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Adriano has started well - couple of times now he has controlled a hopeful pass, held off his man and laid it off to an oncoming teammate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sure this game aint at old trafford ?

First 20mins Inter are rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

too easy for utd so far.

at the moment it looks like the hype around inter has been misplaced. i agree with lloyd, why they aren't pressing utd up the pitch is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Inter coming more into it after the first ten mins - surprisingly open game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

some might firework there!

utd really are beasts to play against. they only get worse when rooney, scholes & vidic play (worse for the other team........)

• Advertisement

Shocking defending there from Inter - Giggs unlucky

Dunphy will be sitting in the studio proud as punch - his damning individual assessments of the Inter players look spot on after 20 minutes!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

inter looking terribly average

this game is begging for paul scholes to dominate.

Seems like two nervous enough defences - so hopeful should mean goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Haven't been this pleasantly surprised in a good while. The only thing that can kill us is Inter nicking a goal just before half-time. Barring that happening, I'd be comfortable with 0-0 at the break then throw Rooney and/or Tevez on to take advantage. Inter are very weak on corners: we just need to keep piling pressure on them.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    some might firework there!

utd really are beasts to play against. they only get worse when rooney, scholes & vidic play (worse for the other team........)

Maybe, but Inter have made things easy for them thus far. That is one thing Benitez has done with Liverpool in Europe over the past few years - first 20 minutes you go hell for leather and work your socks off chasing them high up the park...

fkuc what a chance

Good save number two from Cesar after a horrible mistake from Rivas. Giggs should have done a lot better though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

only a matter of time before utd get a goal in this one

Wrong decision by Giggs there imo

Comedy capers defending although Cesar stood up well

Cesar is the only reason Inter are still in the game.

Cesar with save number three from an usually well placed Ronaldo free kick...

AND NOW RONALDO GOES REAL CLOSE!!

Wow, one team making all the running thus far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Inter must think they're blessed to still be on level terms.
    Worrying with all these chances though that we haven't put one away yet. Gotta make them count.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

utd are like the f**kin blitzkrieg

Inter making it too easy for Utd by sitting too deep and not supporting the forward players.

The only positive for Inter is that the Utd defence does not look that secure.

How many chances have Utd had already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Another free kick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Jazzy wrote: »
    utd are like the f**kin blitzkrieg

sssssh

remember what happened to the blitzkrieg in the second leg in the war.....

This aint a surprise in my opinion. Inter were held by Anorthosis and Bremen and beaten by Bremen and Panathinaikos in the group. Some very poor teams there and even a first time entrant from Cyprus. We will score an away goal for sure.

I'm calling shenanigans!! :eek:

Someone slipped some sleeping pills in these lad's cappuccinos this morning. Inter look lazy and sluggish. Nothing like the Milan derby from two weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

With all the build up hype etc , I did not think I'd be saying this , But we really need to get something from all these chances ,

Long way to go but I 'm really shocked at Inter performance so far....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Can't see beyond united going through tbh. Excellent so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is possibly the most one sided match I have every seen between two apparent European greats. United have had so much of the match but they really do have to stick one or two in the net while they have the upper hand. Inter have enough quality to punish them out of nowhere and United, while on form, haven't exactly been sticking many balls into the net. I would worry that United could dominate and look by far the better team but ultimately not progress to the next round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from the sounds of things Fletcher, Park and Carrick have been running the show so far in midfield for united despite them not leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

It would be a shame if United don't score in this half

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

United looking very strong. Nice turn there by giggs on the inter defender

WTFwas Ronaldo trying to do there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The longer this stays goaless the more scared I am that we will **** up.

idd had loads of space / time

This game is screaming for Rooney or Scholes. Surely one of them must enter in the second half.

from the sounds of things Fletcher, Park and Carrick have been running the show so far in midfield for united despite them not leading.

Not to sound like a **** but it sums up the state of Italian football in general when their league leaders can be completely bossed by a midfield consisting of those three plus Giggs. I am starting to think that Jose went to Inter knowing he could try to loose the league and still ultimately win it in order to pass the time between now and AF retiring.

• Advertisement

If they make it in 0-0 it will be hard to believe it firstly but i would love to hear Mourinho's team talk, surely Fergie can only say "more of the sam, but for fcuk sake put the ball in the net"

Not to sound like a **** but it sums up the state of Italian football in general when their league leaders can be completely bossed by a midfield consisting of those three plus Giggs. I am starting to think that Jose went to Inter knowing he could try to loose the league and still ultimately win it in order to pass the time between now and AF retiring.

true but those 3 players were also mentioned in the underated players thread, I dont think anyone will underate them after tonight.

lol Toldo booked now from the bench

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I was thinking Utd. were bossing the game. But then that headed interception from Ferdinand has me worried. Looks to me like Utd. are not putting it together up front, Ronaldo with too much to prove and Berba hasn't gotten into the flow at all.
    Inter are rather scorpion like. You get the impression any move will be sudden and unexpected. If they get a half chance this half they will score. Interesting to see how the two managers decide to change it up after half time. Will Ferguson try to get one up on Mourinho by beginning to take it up the middle with a cunning substitution?

lol at figo!

true but those 3 players were also mentioned in the underated players thread, I dont think anyone will underate them after tonight.

lol Toldo booked now from the bench

Carrick is genuinely underrated and a massive part of United's most recent successes.

Fletcher and Park are underrated in the same way that Dirk Kuyt are.. That isn't meant as an insult as players of that ilk are extremely valuable to any top team as all three have proven over and over in recent months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

united have bossed this without a goal i am ****ing it that we will fcuk it up.doubt we will have it as good 2nd half.

this is kinda like

Fergie " we dont need scholes, rooney, tevez , were manchester utd , were the best team in the world"

I really do hope they score in the second half.

Well, Inter will have to view the fact that they haven't conceded as a massive bonus. They should be two down with the tie beyond them at this stage. Shocking performance from them in every respect.

Carrick is genuinely underrated and a massive part of United's most recent successes.

Fletcher and Park are underrated in the same way that Dirk Kuyt are.. That isn't meant as an insult as players of that ilk are extremely valuable to any top team as all three have proven over and over in recent months.

id agree and not to drag this off topic now think that the united 3 wont be underated and unlike Kuyt they arent expected to chip in with goals so might more easily gey the recognition for the all round benefit that their type of play brings to the team.

0-0 half time, United really should have got a goal in that half, hope they dont come to regret it cos as we all know Inter have got quality that could nick something and united could really use an away goal.

I'll take that at half-time. You could argue that we've let several chances go by the wayside, but if we'd have known that we'd be dominating this much after Fergie's 'questionable' team pick...I think we'd all have taken it! Inter are rattled and outclassed. It doesn't even look like they're a great side having an off night...just a paper team completely exposed by a far more competent side. I can't see even the sternest of team-talks from Jose changing much, and we've got Rooney, Scholes and Tevez to stick on at our leisure. We'll get the away goal that we need an finish the job at OT.

I was thinking Utd. were bossing the game. But then that headed interception from Ferdinand has me worried. Looks to me like Utd. are not putting it together up front, Ronaldo with too much to prove and Berba hasn't gotten into the flow at all.
    Inter are rather scorpion like. You get the impression any move will be sudden and unexpected. If they get a half chance this half they will score. Interesting to see how the two managers decide to change it up after half time. Will Ferguson try to get one up on Mourinho by beginning to take it up the middle with a cunning substitution?

I am having that exact conversation with some United supporting mates. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that United will deserve to advance and completely outplay Inter. I just wonder whether if Inter do manage to scrape 1, will United be able to stick 1 more past them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I fu*king hate Champions League matches like this, stop-start-stop-start-stop

Every tackle is a bloody free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Id say Fergie's head will be done in with players begging to get onto that pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

yabadabado wrote: »
    united have bossed this with a goal i am ****ing it that we will fcuk it up.doubt we will have it as good 2nd half.

This.
    You can never expect to have an easy game against a big team not matter what the circumstances. The fact we had it so easy this half makes the point of not scoring all the more important. You have to expect it to be tougher the second half. If we couldn't score having been on top by such a margin - it's not going to be easier in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

We should've scored in that first half. In fact, we should've scored twice. We really do need Rooney, but I wouldn't swap any player out there for him right now. Give it 20 minutes :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement