Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighter bulbs

• 21-02-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

I got a pair of Halfords super brilliance bulbs this afternoon 2xbulbs for 19.99. The differance it made to my night driving is great. They are 50% brighter then normal bulbs. They are really worth getting if anyone else is looking for a similar setup. I am not freaked out driving some of those dark carlow bendy roads anymore ...:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds good. As long as......

A. They aren't so bright that they dazzle oncoming drivers - although they shouldn't if your headlamps are aimed correctly.
    B. They don't require more current than your cars wiring can handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are they 55w or 100w bulbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Philips Xtreme are better or Osram Nightbreakers

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Zorba wrote: »
    Philips Xtreme are better or Osram Nightbreakers

Yeah agree Osram,s are excellent and not much more expensive than Halford's one,s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

They are direct replacment bulbs, no mods required.

They are 12v 60/55w H4. The same specifications as my original halogen bulbs
    except they use xenon gas instead resulting in fantasic range.

I was waiting to see if other road users would flash me but they did not
    so I assume they are fine. It saves me the hassle of fitting an additional
    set of lights in front of my car as was the original plan. These done the job
    very nicely. 20e for a set was great value...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

A nightbreaker blew in my Focus after 2 months.

Thus concludes my experiment with these "x%" brighter bulbs. I have tried the Philips ones, the Halfords ones and a few others, but the life expectancy is very bad. It may be my car, but I don't think so as the full beams have never been replaced in 3 years, and I have never had a standard halogen dipped beam blow.

I'm going back to good quality halogens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

mondeo wrote: »
    I am not freaked out driving some of those dark carlow bendy roads anymore ...:D

Yeah, I've had a couple of run-ins with Carlow benders before....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

FredH3as wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had a couple of run-ins with Carlow benders before....

in the nightclubs or on the roads??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote: »
    A nightbreaker blew in my Focus after 2 months.

Thus concludes my experiment with these "x%" brighter bulbs. I have tried the Philips ones, the Halfords ones and a few others, but the life expectancy is very bad. It may be my car, but I don't think so as the full beams have never been replaced in 3 years, and I have never had a standard halogen dipped beam blow.

I'm going back to good quality halogens.

Really, I have H7 Nightbreakers in my Focus since last November with no problems. Find the light from them brilliant especially out on country roads.

They come with an 18 month warranty afaik so you should have brought them back to where you bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Even if a nigthbreaker bulb only lasts one dark winter ...the additional light and safety is well worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Really, I have H7 Nightbreakers in my Focus since last November with no problems. Find the light from them brilliant especially out on country roads.

They come with an 18 month warranty afaik so you should have brought them back to where you bought them.

U sure they come with an 18 month warrenty ? First pair i had on my car, one blew after 7 odd months 4 months later the other side went, even though i still think they well worth the price. Also on the box they come in there's a little time/clock picture which shows normal bulbs on a full clock and the nightbreakers only on half a clock which i took to mean they last half the time a normal cheap bulb does ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

xtremepowerh7.jpg

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=81

Excellent product, fast delivery too. Even the free parking bulbs you get seem to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What colour are the bulbs? I saw them yesterday in Halfords and wondered if they were whiter/bluer than standard bulbs.

Brilliant white, no tint or yellow hue in them whatsoever.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    xtremepowerh7.jpg

Excellent product, fast delivery too. Even the free parking bulbs you get seem to make a difference.

yep i've them in the wifes car and they're brilliant, better than the nightbreakers, problem is they don't make them in H1's so i have to use the nightbreakers instead. And them free parking bulbs have a nice clean white light to them instead of the horrible yellow.

Also try ebay for these bulbs, might get them cheaper and also try

http://www.autobulbsonline.co.uk

Brilliant white, no tint or yellow hue in them whatsoever.

Thanks for that, I just got brilliant white 60 LED angel eyes, so these will match perfectly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

xtremepowerh7.jpg

I have these too in my car, again replacing Nightbreakers. Really good white light from them. Wish I know about the warranty on the nightbreakers. Mine blew one after 3 months so I swapped to the Philips. 8 Months on and still not blown with them. They are worth every penny for the extra safety on back roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

xtremepowerh7.jpg

Just have some silly questions about these bulbs....
    Do i need to add a relay or anything for these to work? Are any modifications needed at all? Also, what is the difference between H7 and H4.. etc. Finally, will i be blinding other motorists, as there is nothing that pisses me off more than people who have excessively bright lights and people who leave their full beams on! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

EPM wrote: »
    I have these too in my car, again replacing Nightbreakers. Really good white light from them. Wish I know about the warranty on the nightbreakers. Mine blew one after 3 months so I swapped to the Philips. 8 Months on and still not blown with them. They are worth every penny for the extra safety on back roads

Which did you find better? I am going to get one of these just wondering if I should get the nightbreakers or the philips ones.

Just have some silly questions about these bulbs....
    Do i need to add a relay or anything for these to work? Are any modifications needed at all? Also, what is the difference between H7 and H4.. etc. Finally, will i be blinding other motorists, as there is nothing that pisses me off more than people who have excessively bright lights and people who leave their full beams on! Cheers

You don't need anything else to run these bulbs, just swap out your current ones for these ones. The H numbers simply refer to the type of connection on the bulb, and as a result determine the type of car it will fit. Just have a look at the stamped number on your current bulbs and match them up.

• Advertisement

You don't need anything else to run these bulbs, just swap out your current ones for these ones. The H numbers simply refer to the type of connection on the bulb, and as a result determine the type of car it will fit. Just have a look at the stamped number on your current bulbs and match them up.

Cheers for that- will have a look and start ebaying!

Finally, will i be blinding other motorists, as there is nothing that pisses me off more than people who have excessively bright lights and people who leave their full beams on!

No, as long as you have your lights adjusted properly. They really are a great bulb, it's on backroads that you fully appreciate the difference.

Don't suppose Halfords sell the Philips ones or are they only pushing their own brand?

Don't suppose Halfords sell the Philips ones or are they only pushing their own brand?

Don't think so. The powerbulbs site offers free brilliant white sidelights with the Philips product, also make a difference.

I just bought a set, can't wait. :)

I emailed Powerbulbs to see about this warrenty on Osrams and got the following reply:

OSRAM do not offer a general warranty on automotive bulbs, so I am
    unsure as to where you obtained this information. If you are having
    issues regarding longevity with an OSRAM product then we usually
    recommend you call us so we can investigate.

Thought it was too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Right, Im off to Halfords tommorow at lunchtime.

Someone* recommend me a set of good bulbs to stick into the headlights.

*I will hold Boards people responsible if they are sh*te:D

Right, Im off to Halfords tommorow at lunchtime.

Someone* recommend me a set of good bulbs to stick into the headlights.

*I will hold Boards people responsible if they are sh*te:D

Think Halfords only stock their own brands. I called earlier today to inquire about the philips and nightbreakers and they didnt stock them. Just bought a set from ebay though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ah, ok. I'll go to the Auto factors around the corner so. Osrams or the Philips?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

HIDS HIDS HIDS! Halogens & Xenons are nothing in comparision!

In terms of price aswell.

Thing that puts me off hids in the hassle of putting them in, with my car i'd have to remove the bumper and lights to get them on, then there's some bit in the light itself that i have to remove to stop the glare.

Ah, ok. I'll go to the Auto factors around the corner so. Osrams or the Philips?

I got four Osrams 3 months ago. All but one of them have blown on me already. Total waste of money.

Think Halfords only stock their own brands. I called earlier today to inquire about the philips and nightbreakers and they didnt stock them. Just bought a set from ebay though.

Crap, didn't even think to look, did you get a better deal than £29.99, considering Powerbulbs are giving away free parking bulbs too?

Crap, didn't even think to look, did you get a better deal than £29.99, considering Powerbulbs are giving away free parking bulbs too?

not really to be honest when you take into account the free parking bulbs. It was around €26-€27. Got em here http://cgi.ebay.ie/PHILIPS-X-TREME-POWER-H7-EXTREME-XTREME-XENON-BULBS_W0QQitemZ260364972221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item260364972221&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

• Advertisement

Okay, my Philips Xtreme Powers arrived this afternoon, i'm just after sticking them in and taking before and after pictures. Not too impressed!

First off, here are the bulbs themselves:
    One of my standard H7s is in the middle there.
    DSCF0445.jpg

The Philips Xtremes have a silver tip, compared to standard H7s.
    DSCF0446.jpg

Same power rating as standard H7s, 55w, 12v.
    DSCF0447.jpg

The difference:

Two pics of before, one bright and one dark:
    before2.jpg
    before.jpg

Heres the car with just the left side with Philips Xtremes installed:
    both.jpg

And here's the car with both sides done:
    after.jpg

They look identical! Of course pictures can't be 100% true to life, but i'll tell you standing infront of them they look exactly the same as the old H7s.

So much for them being pure white?! They're still yellow. I actually thought "hold on, did I even put them in?".

I'll give them a go in a few hours when its fully dark, but so far i'm not overly confident there'll be any difference... :(

Still waiting on mine. I am going to take a before and after pic on a dark country road and let you guys see the difference (if any!).
    Voodoomelon: Would you not be better off waiting till it gets dark- heading out to a unlite road and seeing if there is any difference with respect to the illumination then.

What's annoying me most is that they aren't white like I was told. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Sorry to see you did not notice much of a differance..They do look similar in either side. I went from a standard halogen to an xenon Halfords bulb so the differance for me was really good. Soon as I switched mine on the differance was immense..

Voodoomelon

Try going out for a spin in the dark and u should see how much better they are.

• Advertisement

What's annoying me most is that they aren't white like I was told. :(

Go for a spin on a dark road with zero other lighting (streetlamps etc.), you will definitely see the difference then.

Well i'm away out on the rip now, driving into town before hand. Will report back in the morning. No wait, make that late afternoon... :)

Right, well I went for a spin last night on dark roads with no lighting and........ not impressed in the slightest. The beam is whiter for sure, but i'd say theres only about a 10% improvement in brightness at the most. Perhaps it all depends on your headlights, mine are very good as they are so maybe changing the bulbs makes little difference?

Anyways, €34 down the drain in my eyes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Right, well I went for a spin last night on dark roads with no lighting and........ not impressed in the slightest. The beam is whiter for sure, but i'd say theres only about a 10% improvement in brightness at the most. Perhaps it all depends on your headlights, mine are very good as they are so maybe changing the bulbs makes little difference?

I think if you are coming from good quality halogens then the difference is small enough.

SOrry to hear that Voodoo, I can honestly say I noticed a huge difference in them but maybe the bulbs I replaced were not the best to start with. They do last a good while though so it's not all bad.

I see.
    The weird thing is, I had standard Halfords H7s installed, €6 or something like that. I would have expected better results from the Philips. Ah well.

Ok folks, got my set of Philips extremes today and put them in. They are brighter. 80% brighter?- not a chance. I would say they might be 15-20% brighter. Overall, i am happy because any extra vision at night time is certainly safer. I took before and after pics of the same stretch of road to let ye see ...

Before
    DSC02100.jpg
    After
    After.jpg

Nice pics, they look to be a marked improvement on your older bulbs. After a few nights of driving, I have to say there is virtually no improvement in brightness at all over my older bulbs.

Those halford's bulbs you had in must have been a good buy so. Saying that though, when i was driving i didnt think there was that much of a difference but when i looked at the pics later on, i could easily see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Hi Lads,

I've been wanting to improve the lighting situation on my 04 Audi A4 for some time. The full beam is grand but the dipped lights are pretty crap but i'd like to change ALL the bulbs (including front spots) so that they'll all be "better" and have the nicer white light.

Can someone please tell me what types of bulb i'll need and what brand should i go for? Thanks... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement