Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighter bulbs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Geralt

reviving old thread!

My question is bit different

I'm getting such bulbs: Bosma px26d

as you can see they are tinted blue

now my question is can i fail NCT beacuse the light may have slight blue colour ( more of a halo cause light itself is white)??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no you will be ok!
    more than likely they will be more white than blue, the coating is just to give a hint of the blue/xenon look.

wether they are better than your standard bulbs i dont know, might be worthwhile doing what was done above and try get a point on an easily accessed road and take a before and after picture to see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Geralt

well I'm getting them for free so if they wont make much of a difference then no harm done there, but i may try to take a piccy before and after though.

thanks for the info !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I usually stick with Osram Nightbreakers, and yes them do seem expensive, but looking at some of the obove prices, nowhere near at pricey as the Philips ones.

I get a pair of Nightbreakers from eBay shipped to Ireland for €16 all in.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OSRAM-NIGHTBREAKER-H7-PAIR-NIGHT-BREAKER-BMW_W0QQitemZ260557188281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3caa6b2cb9

I had two of my bulbs blow on me two weeks ago, both Osrams, and went to a local motorfactors. He wanted to charge me €28 for a pair, eh no thanks. So two spurious H7's cost me €14. FAIL.

Ripoff Republic alive and well.

With regards to the life of them, it varies somewhat. At most 9 months, at least 3 months. Depends on much the are being used I guess. I need to use 6 for the front of my 5 Series :(

Might as well give an update myself on this old thread:

Fitted some Nightbreakers on my bike in February last year. They were H4 replacing original Osram regular bulbs. The difference was not huge but they do have noticeably whiter colour tone on them. They are still going strong after more than a year of almost daily use (can't switch off the lights on motorcycles).

I also replaced unknown brand H3 bulbs in Fiat Brava with Narva +something bulbs bought from Lidl. After the experience with the bike I didn't expect anything but the difference was almost unbelievable. I was driving at the time with beam benders fitted in the Continent and had serious trouble seeing anything, and that was before the lamps got caked with film of salt. After a quick change of bulbs the headlights went from downright dangerous to excellent even with the benders in place. We were just amazed with the difference.

I don't know what brand the original bulbs were. The headlights were set for NCT using previous bulbs and the car recently passed another NCT with the new bulbs so there cannot be any radical difference in aim. Also the original bulbs looked good with totally clear glass when I inspected them afterwards.

Advertisement