Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector could face 30% to 50% pay cuts if IMF got involved.

Options
  • 21-02-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Labour party conference told IMF may be called in..

"It is possible the International Monetary Fund will be called in to sort out the current “real economic crisis” here and if it is called in it will seek public sector pay cuts of “between 30 and 50 per cent”, a leading economist has warned" :eek:

If this is true there could be a lot more than 100,000 on the streets of Dublin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0221/breaking27.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

This should not be news to anyone but for some reason the protesters don't seem to have copped this.

The 100,000 need to understand that their behaviour makes it more likely that the IMF will come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MG wrote: »
    This should not be news to anyone but for some reason the protesters don't seem to have copped this.

The 100,000 need to understand that their behaviour makes it more likely that the IMF will come in.
    As I have mentioned on another post, these are the guys with the axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Those 100,000 people were actually giving a cead mile failte to the IMF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

"It is possible the International Monetary Fund will be called in to sort out the current “real economic crisis” here and if it is called in it will seek public sector pay cuts of “between 30 and 50 per cent”, a leading economist has warned" :eek:

If this is true there could be a lot more than 100,000 on the streets of Dublin.

Told by whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

The real scary thing is that the 100,000 dont seem to realise that if the government dont sort things out the IMF will. Part of the problem is that the government need to come clean with how bad things are going to get and communicate this to the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

hughs wrote: »
    The real scary thing is that the 100,000 dont seem to realise that if the government dont sort things out the IMF will..

I think alot of the people marching don't particularly trust the same shower that got us into this, to get us out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

The real scary thing is that the 100,000 dont seem to realise that if the government dont sort things out the IMF will..

I think alot of the people marching don't particularly trust the same shower that got us into this, to get us out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

There is no sign of the IMF coming in. Thats just scaremonger talk.

And if they did come in it would be far more likely that PAYE would go up to 60% - 70% than that the public sector take the brunt of the actions again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

bobbbb wrote: »

And if they did come in it would be far more likely that PAYE would go up to 60% - 70% than that the public sector take the brunt of the actions again.

The IMF would do both - cuts and increase tax. The level of the budget deficit is truly frightening and there is no plan to plug the hole. The state can't realistically spend €50bn when it only takes in €37bn. It is also possible that as the recession deepens, these figures will widen further (more transfer payments in social welfare and less tax collected). To be honest, the problem is that our politicians dithered too much and fed the country a pack of lies. Now they are backtracking, but its too late.

The IMF would do both - cuts and increase tax. The level of the budget deficit is truly frightening and there is no plan to plug the hole. The state can't realistically spend €50bn when it only takes in €37bn. It is also possible that as the recession deepens, these figures will widen further (more transfer payments in social welfare and less tax collected). To be honest, the problem is that our politicians dithered too much and fed the country a pack of lies. Now they are backtracking, but its too late.

Put a number on it then. What would you say the chances are in percentage terms of the IMF coming in and when?

• Advertisement

The Public need to know:

Who the IMF is.

The true transparent state of the economy including toxic debts from "state banks".

What are the powers and consequences if the IMF are called.

The threshold in which the IMF would need to be called.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Put a number on it then. What would you say the chances are in percentage terms of the IMF coming in and when?

First of all when I said it's too late I meant for the government to take decisive action for spending cuts and didn't mean that the IMF coming in was inevitable.

At a guess, I would say there is a 50-50 chance of the IMF or, more likely, the EU intervening at some stage this year or early next year. This is based mainly on my perception that the government is going to find it harder to get loans from the money markets in the coming months.

I didnt notice who the OP was but now that i have it makes perfect sense.

once i see run_to_da_hills posting i know its just paranoia for sure.

My own opinion is that we are not in as bad a shape as is being made out at all. Things are bad but not critical. We have a long, long, long, long way to go before the IMF appear on the horizon. Id say 0%. Lets see who is right in a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

If we dont have huge pay cuts and increases in taxes then YES the IMF will be coming. I dont honestly expect it to get to this stage, as bad as our politicians are none of them will let it to get to this stage.

My own opinion is that we are not in as bad a shape as is being made out at all. Things are bad but not critical. We have a long, long, long, long way to go before the IMF appear on the horizon. Id say 0%. Lets see who is right in a year or so.
    Its the Irish Times quoted in the OP link, and not the Daily Mail. :P

Its the Irish Times quoted in the OP link, and not the Daily Mail. :P

To be more exact - Its The Irish Times quoting Dr Alan Ahearne, of NUI Galway. Just because he said something outrageous.

If Roy Keane said that they would probably quote him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

The real scary thing is that the 100,000 dont seem to realise that if the government dont sort things out the IMF will. Part of the problem is that the government need to come clean with how bad things are going to get and communicate this to the people.
    Brilliant point. The government have to explain things. I'm not aware of any of them actually coming out and saying "x, y and z" in a very easy to understand, non political spin. Then maybe people would start to trust them a little more.

At the moment I think the majority of people think every word that comes from their mouths is a lie unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

The IMF have stated they have no intentions of coming in.

Obviously if the public service are idiotic enough to actually bring the country to its knees they would have no choice but perhaps a fierce warning from them on what they will do will be sufficient.

Or perhaps they wont mind taking a 25% cut if "everyone takes it" -they have no idea at all.

I personally believe it is scaremongering but needed to wake up the one minded aganda of the likes of impact.

Also to temporarily nationalise the banks is an incredibly risky approach. Its effect on Irelands world credit status will be detrimental as well as on the Euro itself. I actually wonder if the ECB will allow it and how Ireland propose to cover 400billion worth of institutes.

We all know they cant cover the guarantee but hopefully will not have to and if AIB and BOI can keep their losses to as predicted or even as bad as Goodbody predictions capital injections will be better with a faster recovery and reward.

My own prediction is for the EU to scrap every state for itself and a temporary at least pulling together to prevent its collapse by one or two states.

We would prob have Ireland nationalised by Germany through bonds if their own economy was not contracting as fast as ours

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the IMF is being used as the bogeyman in all of this

there is no way they'd be called in unless things got really bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

as bad as our politicians are none of them will let it to get to this stage.

This is the nub of the thing because our Politicians in general have turned out to be MUCH worse than even the most optimistic Political Party hack had feared.

The very real fear is that some of the more highly placed members of this group will "let it get to this stage" as they continue to manouvere the country to suit the continuing needs of some well placed financiers.

Thus far we have seen almost Zero Leadership coupled with serious amounts of disingenuous waffle,all designed to blur the reality.
    The worst part is that the electorate is by now totally baffled and suffering from even more traditional Irish boredom.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

If we dont have huge pay cuts and increases in taxes then YES the IMF will be coming. I dont honestly expect it to get to this stage, as bad as our politicians are none of them will let it to get to this stage.

I have more faith in the politicans than the people. The government have annonunced €2B of the €20B adjustments we need and we already have had a number of protests. Maybe a doubling of the tax rates to ~40%/80%, which would still leave with a large defict, would wake people up.

Advertisement