Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up a subject in 6th year

Options
  • 21-02-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

ok so.... im repeating 5th year this year and im doing french and irish l.c exams this year just for the requirements and what not.. so im left with 5 subjects english,maths,physics,chemistry,and business. what subject would people recommend i pick up next year? im torn between applied maths and geography but any ideas appreciated... I go to a grinds school(i know...) so the subject will be covered really well regardless....thanks in advance.p.s ill be going for a pretty high grade in the new subject...:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

If you have the aptitude for applied maths, definitely go for it.
    The best bit of advice I could possibly give anyone with regards to subject choice is: Don't underestimate geography. Seriously.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its harder than honours maths. For me, anyway, working at both.
    BTW, if that grind school is the institute, I'd advise further against Geography. Its the only subject that has bad teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

A lot of my friends dropped a subject they didn't like in 6th year and took up Bus. Org. They are all doing pretty well in it and most are doing it themselves at home (It's in the same band as the languages). I don't do it myself but from what I have heard, it is doable in a year and it is relatively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

id have to agree.geography takes quite a bit of learnin.plus its not in anyway interesting,i mean who really cares for learning off crappy srp answers , how many people are employed in the manufacturin industry in paris really doesnt interest me and not to mention tryin to draw flippin maps of france and india etc,i think there are more interesting subjects to be doing,like biology(maybe just cause i love this subject!(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Don't do Geography because it is quite hard and there are lots of long heavy answears required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Art; a lot of the art history course can be totally cut down, and when it's done right it's fairly small. That is, if you're good at it obviously. Apart from that I'd say religion, but you've to do a portfoilio thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I picked up applied maths this year and it can easily be done in a year, even less. Obviously a bit of mathematical aptitude is nessecarry, but if your doing physics and/or HL maths it wouldnt be any great strain. Its basically a continuation of maths so you wouldn't have to learn a load of terminonogy definitions etc. Also it has improved my normal maths immeasurably, it gets you looking at problems in a different way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shockhorror27

Supposed to be easy, especially if they will be covered well in a grinds school. Personally I'd be trying to find whatever course suits me best, whether I want to answer an exam through essays, short answers etc, is there a lot to cover, can I leave a lot out etc - think about what subject will play to your strengths when studying and in the exam..

Advertisement