Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Advice

Options
  • 21-02-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Ok so myself and a couple mates got into airsoft round about october. We're still in school and don't have big budgets or transport for going to anything official.
    So now we have an AEG each with most of the basic gear and we have a decent grasp of airsoft. But we are by no means close to good yet.
    We decided to set up our own team. Theres currenty a dozen or so of us mostly from the same area so getting to training etc isnt a problem. Our problem is we have no structure.
    We need:
    A ranking and award system for advancement in rank
    A good way of spotting and or dealing with one.
    A good source of material worth learning to further our airsoft education.

Anybody want to help?

BTW we are going against another amature team next month,friends of ours really. Its in our grounds so any adavantage we can work out of it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Ok so myself and a couple mates got into airsoft round about october. We're still in school and don't have big budgets or transport for going to anything official.
    So now we have an AEG each with most of the basic gear and we have a decent grasp of airsoft. But we are by no means close to good yet.
    We decided to set up our own team. Theres currenty a dozen or so of us mostly from the same area so getting to training etc isnt a problem. Our problem is we have no structure.
    We need:
    A ranking and award system for advancement in rank
    A good way of spotting and or dealing with one.
    A good source of material worth learning to further our airsoft education.

Anybody want to help?

BTW we are going against another amature team next month,friends of ours really. Its in our grounds so any adavantage we can work out of it?

Ditch the rank stuff, you dont need it and it leads to people getting ratty with authority figures. Let people who have an aptitude for leadership fill the roles of captain etc. If they are good with tactics and people listen to them then who gives a monkeys what their badge says?

Play together enough, work on your communication (without radios first) until you get into the swing of things and you'll all soon fall into the positions you should be playing by means of aptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Agree with above, it's a game and you should enjoy it, bringing ranks into it will only cause hassle. Especially amongst friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I personally think ranking system is pretty niffty, would give you a reason to actually give a **** during a normal skirmish, trying to progress yourself.

<--- wishes Airsoft had a CoD prestige thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

<--- wishes Airsoft had a CoD prestige thing

it kinda does though team merit badging maybe or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Don't rank it at first.

Start slow.
    We tried plowing into it head first.

Didn't end well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

For ranks to be issued implies there has to be a hierarchy starting out, and that usually ends in arguments over who gets to be what and inevitably the whole thing ends up with people having ridiculous ranks with the "lowest" being something like a Lt-Col. It's far too complicated and ego-invested to work among friends and airsofters unless it's a one-off for an event like Berget.
    I've seen it done in airsoft a few times and I've yet to see a system that's either fair or makes sense. Some are based on the number of "kills" you racked up, some on how many skirmishes you've attended, some on how long you've been playing etc. There's fatal flaws with all of them that just reduce how much fun the game is.

Natural leaders will naturally lead. They don't need a badge to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NakedDex wrote: »
    For ranks to be issued implies there has to be a hierarchy starting out, and that usually ends in arguments over who gets to be what and inevitably the whole thing ends up with people having ridiculous ranks with the "lowest" being something like a Lt-Col. It's far too complicated and ego-invested to work among friends and airsofters unless it's a one-off for an event like Berget.
    I've seen it done in airsoft a few times and I've yet to see a system that's either fair or makes sense. Some are based on the number of "kills" you racked up, some on how many skirmishes you've attended, some on how long you've been playing etc. There's fatal flaws with all of them that just reduce how much fun the game is.

Natural leaders will naturally lead. They don't need a badge to make it happen.

o you hero ;X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

i have to agree with the above posts and tbh i have see teams that operate a very open forum policy and it works best because even the new person to a team has a say

Advertisement