Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay/BillPay Question

• 21-02-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,
    I'm just Wondering If I Can Buy a Phone On BillPay(From Vodafone), And Use It With My Prepay Simcard(also vodafone).

I Know all About Being Locked into a Contract Once I Buy The BillPay Phone, But Regardless, Will This Work With Any Phone For Sure?

Like For Example Some Of Those Snazzy Phones Which Are Only Sold With A BillPay Contract...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the phone will be locked to vodafone but a vodafone pre pay sim card will work fine in it. a meteor, o2, 3 or tesco sim card will not regardless of bill pay or pre pay.

you can get most phones unlocked for about €20 though and then it'll accept any sim card

what do you intend to do about the 12 month contract you will have signed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yes it will work. You will have to have a utility bill/bank statement in your name and photo ID when you buy the phone.

If you choose the cheapest monthly tarriff, and multiply this by 12 and add the cost of the phone on that tarriff, you will get the total cost.

Example: Phone= €100 tarriff= €25/month. So 100+(12x25)= €400

In most cases it would make more sense to buy the phone sim free. What phone are you considering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you buy a bill pay phone then you'll be pre paying for minutes, so what the hell is the point in putting in a sim card and buying credit as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RandyMarsh

About The Contract, I've Already Asked My Mom To Buy The Contract Phone And Go Back To Her Current Phone, She Has One Of The insane Amount Of Minutes Price Plans, So The Phone Itself Shud Be Fairly Cheap.
    She Says She Has No Problem Doing it.

As For Which Model;
    I Was Thinking The Samsung Pixon, It Seems Like The Perfect Phone And Relitivly Cheap, But After A Little Research I'm Fairly That The Vodafone Website Is Wrong in Saying It Has WiFi, Which Is A Massive Deal Breaker For me, I'm Still Going To Ring Them To Make Sure Though.

Does My Little Plan Here Make Any Sense?

RandyMarsh wrote: »
    About The Contract, I've Already Asked My Mom To Buy The Contract Phone And Go Back To Her Current Phone, She Has One Of The insane Amount Of Minutes Price Plans, So The Phone Itself Shud Be Fairly Cheap.
    She Says She Has No Problem Doing it.

As For Which Model;
    I Was Thinking The Samsung Pixon, It Seems Like The Perfect Phone And Relitivly Cheap, But After A Little Research I'm Fairly That The Vodafone Website Is Wrong in Saying It Has WiFi, Which Is A Massive Deal Breaker For me, I'm Still Going To Ring Them To Make Sure Though.

Does My Little Plan Here Make Any Sense?

you're right about the wifi, there was a thread here a few days ago about it
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485229

is your mother already on a vodafone contract and is she entitled to an upgrade?

• Advertisement

Ah Nurts About The WiFi Thing...
    Thanks For The Link.

I'm Not Too Sure About The Upgrade Thing, I Would Imagine So, She's Had A Motorola Something Or Other On Vodafone Bill Pay For Well Over a Year now.

Like im Pretty Sure Shes Out Of her 12 Month Contract From When She Bought The Phone.

Does That Entitle Her To Upgrade?

And Would It have To Be An Upgrade In Order To Take Advantage Of The Low Cost Phones?
    Could She Not Just Go For a Brand New one And Keep The Same Number... Or Is That Tantamount To An Upgrade?

Ah Nurts About The WiFi Thing...
    Thanks For The Link.

I'm Not Too Sure About The Upgrade Thing, I Would Imagine So, She's Had A Motorola Something Or Other On Vodafone Bill Pay For Well Over a Year now.

Like im Pretty Sure Shes Out Of her 12 Month Contract From When She Bought The Phone.

Does That Entitle Her To Upgrade?

And Would It have To Be An Upgrade In Order To Take Advantage Of The Low Cost Phones?
    Could She Not Just Go For a Brand New one And Keep The Same Number... Or Is That Tantamount To An Upgrade?

it doesn't necessarily entitle her to an upgrade. she should call vodafone and check if she is entitled and if not, how close in spend she is to one.

it would have to be an upgrade. if she gets a brand new phone and keeps the same number it's called an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Randy, Sam,

Do you guys realise that if ye could get together your offspring might possibly have perfect capitalisation ?

Just a thought.

You're a Clever one long_b, But I'd Appriceate it If You'd Take It Elsewhere

long_b wrote: »
    Randy, Sam,

Do you guys realise that if ye could get together your offspring might possibly have perfect capitalisation ?

Just a thought.

I'm FaR TOo BUsY fOr aLL ThAt capItaLISATiOn mALaRky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

You're a Clever one long_b, But I'd Appriceate it If You'd Take It Elsewhere

Couldn't help myself there :)

Interesting question you raised - what if your Mum was to port her number to another network (say O2, PAYG) and then try to port back to Vodafone as a Bill customer ?

Would she be treated as a new customer ?

Thats a good idea, Sounds Like It Would Work,
    But a Fair Bitta hastle, Too Much hastle To Be Askin Me Mammy To Do

How Do The Upgrades Work Again?
    Do You have To Give Your Old Phone Back?

Interesting question you raised - what if your Mum was to port her number to another network (say O2, PAYG) and then try to port back to Vodafone as a Bill customer ?

I know that o2 charges people who cancel contracts and then sign up again. If it was that easy to get an upgrade when you're not entitled i'm sure everyone would be doing it
    How Do The Upgrades Work Again?
    Do You have To Give Your Old Phone Back?
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah the old "port off then back on again" plan, yeah no it doesnt work, networks arent that stupid, you have to be off billpay for at least 60 days, if you can go that long on prepay then yeah you'll get a new first time contract if you rejoin but if you could just port to pepay then back to billpay the next day then the upgrade system would be rendered useless;)

Advertisement