Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband (Imagine)

Options
  • 21-02-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Is anyone with Imagine broadband?

I recently moved and had imagine broadband installed. It seemed like the best deal, and I had great reviews from friends and neighbours who use the company.

So far I'm seriously unimpressed. I was told for 2 MB Breeze package i would be pay 34 something a month.

I got my first bill and was charged 47.....my quoted price hadn't included Vat. Fair enough.

I pay by direct debit.

This month I get a bill for 134.70!!!!

A bill withstanding from last motnh of 50 euro (?????)

and a bill this month for 70 euro!!!

Firstly, the bill not paid last month was NOT my problem....they were meant to take it out of my damn account.

Secondly.....I have no idea where this 70 euro bill is coming from. I was actually away for a month and didnt use my internet once.

Does anyone have any experience with this company? Is this a regular thing or what? I'm seriously unimpressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all, if the money wasn't taken, can also be a fault with your bank or whatever and you still owe them the money, no matter what. It's very common after a failed payment to request the sum that has been run up to that date.

With the banks in Ireland it often can take at least 2 months to get a direct debit fully set up, so the first payment will always cover all outstanding.

As for the amounts, you might want to check with their billing department. They will clearly be the best to advise you, how the figure calculates.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Their 2Mb Breeze service doesn't exist anymore, it's now a 4Mb service which is just over €50 a month if I remember correctly.

Also they've now introduced an installation fee of €100 or so.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

wow, well thank you for that information.

Exactly what i needed to hear to cancel the service.

Sounds like thats what has happened. I'm being charged the 4mb prices.

Isn't it illegal to do stuff like this without notifying the customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I've had Irish Broadband for a little over 2 years and I've been moderately happy and I've just been informed that my 3MB package is being upgraded to 4MB with a price hike.

Current Product: Breeze 3MB, 24:1 Current Price: EUR 40.00 (Not incl VAT)

New Package Breeze 4Mb 24:1 New Price: EUR 45.27 (Not incl VAT)

Considering that the product has never come close to 3MB, 1/2 MB at best, I can't see why I should pay more for 4MB that I'm sure won't be anywhere near 4MB. Also during a recession, where prices are being reduced including salaries, I can't see how they can justify this and not let me keep my old 3MB service. Also the new package will still be 24:1.

I think it's time to look for a new broadband carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Used to be with IBB and had no major problems. Moved house and was getting BB in and heard they had been bought by Imagine so I wouldn't go with them.

One of the guys in work had them and always complained that his 1Mb service never hit 1Mb and he just wouldn't use it most of the time as it was unusable and useless for games.

Got Digiweb and the only problem there is the low caps, service is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Bozacke wrote: »
    Considering that the product has never come close to 3MB, 1/2 MB at best, I can't see why I should pay more for 4MB that I'm sure won't be anywhere near 4MB. Also during a recession, where prices are being reduced including salaries, I can't see how they can justify this and not let me keep my old 3MB service. Also the new package will still be 24:1.

I think it's time to look for a new broadband carrier.

I agree. I am in the same boat and I feel like im being made to pay for somthing I do not want. Speed means nohting to me really. seeing as I only get like a 2 meg type speeds from my 3 meg as it is and its fine at the 2 meg type speeds as it is now.

I am thinking of looking at a new ISP also now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

i am thinking to get breeze 4 mb package , since my adsl line can't handle more then 3(although it is 3 meg--330- 350 kB/s day or night),
    - how good are pings there? ( it is 50-70 ms to boards.ie with my adsl )
    - do they throttle RAPIDSHARE , p2p?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Neverwhere wrote: »
    wow, well thank you for that information.

Exactly what i needed to hear to cancel the service.

Sounds like thats what has happened. I'm being charged the 4mb prices.

Isn't it illegal to do stuff like this without notifying the customer?

out of interest have you called them and asked whats going on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

My imagine 3mb ADSL works fine most of the time. Outages a couple of times in Feb, 20min or so.
    Slows up a lot in evening, more users online 48:1 contention.

johnciall wrote: »
    out of interest have you called them and asked whats going on?

i havent yet, i got this bill right before i went on a trip. ive been in oxford for a week or two now, so i have to do it when i get back to dublin.

either way im stopping my direct debit, and will not be paying any more bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

fair enough it's your call but i know from experience companies don't like it when DD get cancelled even when they know it's happening, if you just up and cancel it without trying to query it with them it puts you in a bad position if they chase you for the cash

yeah i know, im just in an awkward position where im not in dublin much, and i cant do much from england at this present moment. so for my own finances, its easier for me to cancel direct debit and try and sort through it that way.

they might not be happy, but im on a seriously low income and cannot afford 134 euro bills. this way they might keep that money, but they cant take any more....which is my worry.

they ****ing well cleared my account of a almost a weeks pay and left me high and dry with that bill....so its just messy all round.

Just call +35314818400 and choose the option for CS.

I've been with Irish Broadband for almost 3 years now. Honest to god, i can't complain about them at all.

Not sure exactly what i have with them, but they stuck an ariel on my roof (i got free installation at the time) and it costs me just under €50 a month (€48 or something).

I can't fault them. When i moved from an XP machine to a Vista one, i was completely lost and the guys at customer service talked me through setting it all up again with no hassle (one time i rang them with an internet/vista related problem and they helped me sort out other non-Internet related stuff).

I missed a payment twice by direct debit with Bank Of ireland (BOI were charging me annually for my account, but they never let me know when, so there wasn't enough dosh in the bank for IBB). Because of that i've moved to paying them with a credit card, and all has been well since.

Obviously i can't speak for everyone, and i know they've taken a fair beating on here before in threads about their service, but in my own personal experience with them, i think they're great.

hey KK....yeah i have or had the same service.

In fairness to them they managed to diffuse my irritation a bit.

I got a call from the woman who hooked me up. (yeah, i also had some guys come out and put an antenna on the roof) She was checking to make sure everything was alright.

Apparently i guessed correctly....everyone on the 2 mb breeze package has been bumped up to the 3 mb which is supposedly only 5 euro more expensive. the woman said she would check what went wrong with DD to make sure it doesnt happen agan. And apparently the big bill was because i had an instillaton fee. Seeing as i already paid an installation free or the 2mb package, the instillation must be for the new package?

its still not right of them to switch me without talking to me, and i am not happy about having to pay an installation fee for it. but the woman was really helpful, and it sounds like we'll be able to come to some sort of agreement next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did they charge a full installation fee for every one of these upgrades that people never asked for anyway ???

wow, that would be crooked....if true !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

WOW I can't believe BB is so dear in Ireland, I'm lucky that Sky offer such a good service over here and I only pay £5pm for 8mb. I'm hoping to move home next year and unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to pay through the hole for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

funnyname wrote: »
    WOW I can't believe BB is so dear in Ireland, I'm lucky that Sky offer such a good service over here and I only pay £5pm for 8mb. I'm hoping to move home next year and unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to pay through the hole for it.
    Not just broadband, EVERYTHING is more expensive here. good luck with the move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

funnyname wrote: »
    I'm lucky that Sky offer such a good service over here and I only pay £5pm for 8mb.

If you're already a Sky TV customer and don't mind a 40Gb cap, don't mind the 400Kb/s upload speed and live within the Sky Broadband Network area.

Other than that, that's a great price.

Edit: By the way the OP is a bit confusing. Irish Broadband and Imagine are two different companies aren't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Edit: By the way the OP is a bit confusing. Irish Broadband and Imagine are two different companies aren't they.

No, Imagine bought IBB.

• Advertisement

nope....they are the same, which is why i have both names on there. I called up for irish broadband and got imagine. They bought them out I think.

and spongebob -- yeah i know, seems ridiculous. But every company is doing sneaky crap like that these days. I'll let you know what i find out when i get the call back.

on a positive note, they do have good customer service compared to the likes or eircom and other companies i called.

I honestly knew nothing about broadband when i first got it, and the guy i talked to at eircom was a right prick...he was downright rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I've been on IBB 2mb DSL for over a year now and generally no complaints. However, in the last week in the evenings im getting lots of drop offs and very slow download speeds, some 10-20 minute long disconnects. Hope this is just a temporary glitch for them, its been great until now

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

gs39t wrote: »
    I've been on IBB 2mb DSL for over a year now and generally no complaints. However, in the last week in the evenings im getting lots of drop offs and very slow download speeds, some 10-20 minute long disconnects. Hope this is just a temporary glitch for them, its been great until now
    Whereabouts in the country is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Whereabouts in the country is this?

Southside Dublin. Its doing it again now :(

gs39t wrote: »
    Southside Dublin. Its doing it again now :(

To be fair to IBB (and no I don't work for them anymore) this can be caused by as much as a dodgy router. PM me me and let me know what you're setup is like. Would love to help you to get to the heart of the problem.

Advertisement