Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Transformer?

• 21-02-2009 10:40pm
    Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, rather than use an inverter for a LCD TV can you buy a transformer for a LCD TV that will plug into a 12 volt car cig lighter? YEAH!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

yardeyar wrote: »
    Hi, rather than use an inverter for a LCD TV can you buy a transformer for a LCD TV that will plug into a 12 volt car cig lighter? YEAH!

i would imagine if it's 230v input you would use an inverter or else purchase a 12v lcd tv if available.thats my guess anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Supply in a car is DC. A transformer is an AC device. An inverter converts DC to AC. So short answer is no.

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi Danjo, thanks for your reply, if a car is DC and a Transformer is AC surely an inverter will convert AC to DC? YEAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Sorry Yardeyar but you have it the wrong way round. As I said the inverter converts DC to AC.

Therefore you supply AC to the TV from a DC source i.e the car battery using an inverter.

To convert AC to DC you use a rectifier.

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Ok.... Cheers! YEAH!

• Advertisement
Advertisement