Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a postgrad in America. HELP plz

Options
  • 21-02-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I really would like to do a postgrad abroad. Im a final year student in UCD with a very high 2.1 and am expecting a 1st considering my modules this semester. I would like to do the postgrad in finance.

My preference would be america but australia has crossed my mind. I just would like to do something different.

How do i first go about it. Are the GMATS essential? Considering how expensive the courses are what are the chances of getting a scholarship? Are sports scholarships easier? What other financial aid options are there? How easy is it to be accepted in some of the best business schools.

Thank you.

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

You will have to do at least one standardized test, the GRE, to get into an American graduate school. More tests may be indicated depending on the school and area of study. Find the program you want to do first, then find out what the appropriate steps are. Most websites will have a special section for international students i.e. you.

If you are in research, you should be able to get a research or teaching assistantship that will cover your fees and give you a small stipend. Sport scholarships are not available at the postgrad level, afaik. If you are trying to get into a taught-program, it will be harder to get financial aid. Fulbright offers a very attractive bursary for PhD students.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Hey,

I've wrote some long winded posts on this subject in this forum, if you do a search for them, there should be some more helpful information for you.

Your financial-aid options will be strongly dependent on how strong your academic record is - or at least how good your CV is, and what graduate degree you are applying for: if you state that your final goal is a PhD you will do better, and you will do best if you apply with a Masters already. Essentially, institutions prefer to pay for potential researchers rather than people rounding out their professional degrees with Masters.

I imagine a 2.1 will put you out of the running for a lot of the top 20 schools, so push hard for that 1.1. Any high quality, relevant work between graduation and applying for grad school will help your case. Glowing letters of recommendation from reputable professors that know you well is essential.

As for how hard it is to get in, well the most followed advice on applying to US schools is to heed the tier system, and diversify into: dreams schools, great schools, and good enough schools. You will find these listings by the US News every year. There might be some argument about the quality ranking, but it will give you an idea of how relatively difficult each school is to get into. So you should not put all your eggs in one basket, a typical number of schools to apply to is 6-8, distributed across a range of schools, all of which you consider good enough, and include one or two semi-realistic dream schools. The American graduate system is still considered head and shoulders above most other systems in the world, as you'll note in the US News ratings (which are worldwide), whether that be true or not, the resulting prestige certainly is tangible.

Generally speaking, if your final goal is a Masters, you should be choosing schools with the best overall courses and professors (even reputation if it matters to your career) you can get - rankings and reputation are useful here - whereas for a PhD, getting the best supervisor trumps all.

Finally, note that the Fulbright comes with a stipulation that once your graduate study is complete, you are forced to leave the states, regardless of any personal or professional desire you might have otherwise. Please be cautious with it. I actually got the scholarship, and turned it down on this basis. I am doing a PhD here now, have a serious relationship, and am involved in a start-up - my future plans would all be in serious jeopardy if I had taken the Fulbright.

Check the NUI website for some alternative scholarships (travelling studentship for example). There's also the O'Reilly Scholarship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TonyRomo

Thank you very much, both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brndonnie

Hey all

I am looking at studying an MBA in the states next year. Aside from O'Reilly and Fulbright is anyone aware of other elgible schemes to help cover the cost of studying in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

brndonnie wrote: »
    Hey all

I am looking at studying an MBA in the states next year. Aside from O'Reilly and Fulbright is anyone aware of other elgible schemes to help cover the cost of studying in the states?

Most business schools have their own financial aid schemes, with scholarship money that is usually awarded based on merit/need - might be worth looking into.

Good luck with the MBA, I just finished one in the US in May and I'd almost do it again if I could - great experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement