Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50mm 1.8

• 21-02-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi. I just got enough money for the canon 50mm 1.8, does anyone know if its a good buy? I need a new lens, as the one I have takes blurred photos, havent been able to take photos in a while because of that...it blows, but please give me som advice on a cheap lens that I might be interested in... Thanks guys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

For the price it's the best possible lens you could buy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's brilliant. Get it on ebay from a hong kong seller for way cheaper.

I'm sure some people will put up a few of their shots taken with theirs, loads of people have it cause its cheap and excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Ditto the above.

However, no lens, unless broken (or deliberate) takes blurred photos if operated correctly.

Maybe fix that condundrum first before purchasing.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It takes pics like this

3066586988_9ba4a66e91.jpg

I have had a great deal of fun with it!! You'll love it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Isar wrote: »
    Hi. I just got enough money for the canon 50mm 1.8, does anyone know if its a good buy? I need a new lens, as the one I have takes blurred photos, havent been able to take photos in a while because of that...it blows, but please give me som advice on a cheap lens that I might be interested in... Thanks guys.

I recently got it and it's hasn't really been off my camera. It's just a fantastic piece of kit for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Same as Dragan, the 50mm 1.8 has barely been off my camera since I got it. Stunning portrait lens on a crop body for money that's relatively peanuts. The build quality feels a bit cheap but the optics are great and from my limited knowledge, build quality of the body isn't nearly so important when you're using a prime lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

Thanks guys. The reason why the lens I have take blurry shots, is because it got knocked of something. And it costs the same to get it fixed as it costs to buy a new one almost.. So yeah, I think the 50mm 1.8 will be fun... I have a canon 50 D btw. I'd love to see more shots taken with the 50mm 1.8.. I'm also planning on bying a Kingston Cf 16gb elite pros memory card. Does anyone know if thats any good with the cam that I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Search the forum, there's been a few threads of photos taken by the 50mm 1.8 at this stage. Main reason I bought one tbh. Well, those pics and the knowledge that it'd help me get shots like this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59131244&postcount=685

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The card is grand, depending on what you shoot. It's just a piece of hardware really.

They are not fast, so if you shoot sports, nature etc and want 20 frames in 5 seconds written to the card, maybe not for you. Otherwise, good card, but horses for ski slopes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Nifty fifty, what a beauty! Yes, it is a beauty and very versatile. I think it is worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This lens is excellent it's photos are super sharp and a great lens,I'm on my second cause the dog kicked the first onto the floor!But still i love it
    3164361306_c5012e5229.jpg
    3241781280_391e3d60dc.jpg
    Two shots from it :)

And welcome back to the forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I bought mine this week but haven't got a chance to use it of yet. I got it for £64 + £10(p&p) and delivered within 3days (~€85). 1year warrantee, not just some dodgy one that fell off the back of a truck haha

If you want to know where I got it just pm me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

I'm upgrading to the 1.4 this week so am getting rid of my old 1.8 if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

How much doc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd either go over to adverts or pm eachother about selling stuff...The mods don't gear being sold in threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

I'm also planning on bying a Kingston Cf 16gb elite pros memory card. Does anyone know if thats any good with the cam that I have?

Check out this site for 50D memory card comparsions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Really nice photo Dev, I must get out an experiment with mine a little more...

Here's a few of mine:
    2348473462_df0285e2f3.jpg?v=0

3160368524_26bdd85e4f.jpg?v=0

3159533401_882ff50d0f.jpg?v=0

3159534333_3da22b2ba0.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Zas, first and second there are fakking excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

I'm getting one in London next weekend, can't wait now after seeing some of those shots.
    £81 in this shop (near my hotel too) seems to be a good deal. http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=canon-50mm-f18-ef-mark-ii-standard-auto-focus-lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Is the lens you have definitely the problem?
    "Blurred photos" could mean you haven't got the camera setup properly for that particular shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

there's a whole thread here that has loads of photos taken with the 50.

Advertisement