Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to do in Ireland except drink !

Options
  • 21-02-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Does anyone agree that there is nothing much to do in Ireland except head to the boozer, live for the weekend and that's about it.

Dont get me wrong i love heading to the boozer for a good night out, but since i have been living abroad i find when i go home the only thing people seem to center they're life around is going out at the weekend.

When i lived in Ireland of course i did this myself, but since moving to Norway and experiencing their culture, it is very different as you can imagine. They do like drink and go out quite regularly but they are also a very active people, part-taking in tons of other activities. For example we go skiing quite often, or head to the local cross country circuit. Go ice skating on frozen lakes. Go mushroom picking :D:D, have picnics in the mountains, go on cabin trips, camping on the skerries, or in summertime we go out boating a lot, to the beach, or to the local lakes (which there are millions of) for some swimming, among numerous other things.

Now i know its not possible to go skiing in Ireland or skate on frozen lakes, but in all honesty, what other things do you do beside head to the pub. I personally have found a very active life outside of Ireland and am enjoying it very much and would find it very hard to go back to the 'live for the weekend philosophy'. I may be generalizing a bit here i do know there are very active people in Ireland who dont only live for the weekend. I guess its just my group of mates fall into that category.

Rip it apart, say what you want, just an opinion.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

+1
    i'm at home tonite, i'd like to go out but i don't want to get pissed either.
    So the only option left is watching telly/dvd... *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I agree. There is very little to do in Ireland, leisure-wise, that doesn't involve spending large amounts of money. Rain or shine.

Overflow wrote: »
    camping on the skerries
    Couldn't do that here! The town is awful rough at throwing-out time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Now i know its not possible to go skiing in Ireland or skate on frozen lakes, but in all honesty, what other things do you do beside head to the pub.

Cinema, theatre, concerts, etc. Plenty of people go out playing sports and have matches on at the weekends, I hear about it all the time at work. Hill walking, running, cycling, various sports. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more going on that I have omitted to mention.
    Perhaps if you got out of the "there's nothing to do " attitude and genuinely looked for (or gasp, organised) something to do instead you might be surprised.
    But of course it's easier to just sit back and moan...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There is, but it requires money and (if you don't have a car) organisation. I used to find a lot of people I know where annoyingly lazy when you did come up with something but all they wanted to do was head down the pub. One of the main reasons I left.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

"Wherever you are, life is always going to be what you make of it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Our weather prevents us from doing much outdoors, its not cold enough for things like skiing, and skating on frozen lakes, but not warm enough and too wet to have picnics on mountains, going to the beach, swimming/surfing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

That is not true at all really. The number of alternative activities is limited only by your imagination. Just because it is the most common and therefore the easiest activity to pass out meaningless existences, this certainly doesn't mean that there are not alternatives.

Why just tonight I opted out of going out to drink in my old watering hole, instead spending then night at home alone making gnomes out of PVA glue and old news papers. I will then reinact the battle of the bulge, the losing army facing the old familiar punishment, they are, to the last man, stuffed up my ass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Life sounds good up there on Waltons mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Our weather prevents us from doing much outdoors, its not cold enough for things like skiing, and skating on frozen lakes, but not warm enough and too wet to have picnics on mountains, going to the beach, swimming/surfing etc.

It's too wet to go swimming?
    Right so :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    There is, but it requires money and (if you don't have a car) organisation. I used to find a lot of people I know where annoyingly lazy when you did come up with something but all they wanted to do was head down the pub. One of the main reasons I left.
    A lot of the activities bluewolf mentioned are free.

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's too wet to go swimming?
    Right so :confused:

yeah if its lashing not too many people are going to think "I must go out and have a swim in the sea"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yeah if its lashing not too many people are going to think "I must go out and have a swim in the sea"

Hi, welcome to 2009. Swimming pools exist.

Yeah try getting dried in the rain!

To me a swimming pool is about as exhilirating as Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil Capsule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I agree with the OP

Yes, theres some stuff to do, but not much, either because of weather or money

Also, people's attitude is a big thing, they're all wasters over here!

I dont drink at all, but Im the one who hasta drag people out to town!

Cinema's close too early, and so does Leisureplex now, but its gone crappy anyways

But if everyones a waster and just wants to stay in all the time, nothing will ever happen

hooers!

Read my post again. I was talking about outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Why just tonight I opted out of going out to drink in my old watering hole, instead spending then night at home alone making gnomes out of PVA glue and old news papers. I will then reinact the battle of the bulge, the losing army facing the old familiar punishment, they are, to the last man, stuffed up my ass...
    LMAO! Film it, put it on YouTube and post the link.

There are plenty of non-pub-related things to do in Ireland, it's just that most people can't be bothered. I generally prefer pubs and clubs myself, but I go cycling, surfing, camping etc., when the mood takes me. We may be a drink-mad country but we're a sports-mad country as well. There are sporting organisations to cater for every taste all over Ireland and no shortage of countryside to explore.

Agamemnon wrote: »
    There are sporting organisations to cater for every every taste all over Ireland and no shortage of countryside to explore.
    Agree about the countryside bit but I bet there is no sporting organisation that caters for people who aren't into organised sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I dont think that it is that there is nothing other than drinking but rather that the people you associate with prefer to go out for a drink.Maybe not.Ask them if they want to:
    go to the beach
    go paintballing
    go to the cinema
    go to a museum
    go to a gig
    or just go to a church
    all great craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A lot of the activities bluewolf mentioned are free.

True, but they also tend to require the use of a car! Or good weather and a few people who aren;t opposed to being dragge out of a pub.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Intresting.

Was in the States in 2001.
    Coast to coast trip in a Jeep.

Towns the size of Carlow having maybe 1 or 2 pubs!!:eek::eek::eek:

There's a diff attitude over there.

Ice Cream Social anyone???!!

poisonated wrote: »
    I dont think that it is that there is nothing other than drinking but rather that the people you associate with prefer to go out for a drink.Maybe not.Ask them if they want to:
    go to the beach
    go paintballing
    go to the cinema
    go to a museum
    go to a gig
    or just go to a church
    all great craic!

go to the beach...OK that's free, but not great out of summer
    go paintballing...€€€
    go to the cinema...€€€
    go to a museum...OK, if you live in a city
    go to a gig...€€€
    or just go to a church.. wouldn't be seen dead involving myself with any organised religion

This is not an issue in other, even poorer, EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Rory123 wrote: »
    Agree about the countryside bit but I bet there is no sporting organisation that caters for people who aren't into organised sports!
    Ah, then you haven't heard of W.O.E., the **** Organisation of Eire. It facilitates those of us who love the solitary sport of speed ****. I am free to tug myself vigorously in the privacy of my own home, while W.O.E. send me e-mails with tips on things like technique, diet, cleaning up and foreskin first aid. I can't understand why we were turned down for a National Lottery grant; they'll be sorry when I take home gold from the Onanist Olympics, the bastards. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does anyone agree that there is nothing much to do in Ireland except head to the boozer, live for the weekend and that's about it.

Dont get me wrong i love heading to the boozer for a good night out, but since i have been living abroad i find when i go home the only thing people seem to center they're life around is going out at the weekend.

When i lived in Ireland of course i did this myself, but since moving to Norway and experiencing their culture, it is very different as you can imagine. They do like drink and go out quite regularly but they are also a very active people, part-taking in tons of other activities. For example we go skiing quite often, or head to the local cross country circuit. Go ice skating on frozen lakes. Go mushroom picking :D:D, have picnics in the mountains, go on cabin trips, camping on the skerries, or in summertime we go out boating a lot, to the beach, or to the local lakes (which there are millions of) for some swimming, among numerous other things.

Now i know its not possible to go skiing in Ireland or skate on frozen lakes, but in all honesty, what other things do you do beside head to the pub. I personally have found a very active life outside of Ireland and am enjoying it very much and would find it very hard to go back to the 'live for the weekend philosophy'. I may be generalizing a bit here i do know there are very active people in Ireland who dont only live for the weekend. I guess its just my group of mates fall into that category.

Rip it apart, say what you want, just an opinion.

Your really barking up the wrong tree, asking about outdoor activities, on an internet forum!

Why are you not out enjoying the outdoor activities Norway offers tonight OP?

I went canoing during the summer. It rained all day and did not matter in the slightest. Once you wet and cold but enjoying yourself, it does not matter what the weather is like.

Agamemnon wrote: »
    Ah, then you haven't heard of W.O.E., the **** Organisation of Eire. It facilitates those of us who love the solitary sport of speed ****. I am free to tug myself vigorously in the privacy of my own home, while W.O.E. send me e-mails with tips on things like technique, diet, cleaning up and foreskin first aid. I can't understand why we were turned down for a National Lottery grant; they'll be sorry when I take home gold from the Onanist Olympics, the bastards. :mad:
    Oh my God! I am chairman at my local. What chapter are you in? We used to have a secret handshake but that was put to a stop with all this kerfuffle over STDs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No complaints on the activities, Hill walking instead of drinking - great idea, except there is very little to do after 10pm in Ireland, apart from pubs.

Where are the late opening cafe's? or anywhere to provide something for those who don't want a drink?

If even a small amount of money was put into providing alternatives instead of constant advertising on the perils of drink(know the one that's one to many - I've had enough) - this government might actually have made a real difference to both our society and culture.

Of course, providing Irish people with real alternatives to alcohol would be a disaster for the tax income for the government right now, but the opportunity was there like so many other initiatives which could have led our society over the past 20 years.

We have such a high cinema going public, that it's obvious there's a market for those who want entertainment outside the drinking culture - it's so odd we don't have a late opening alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The scandinavians always did outdoor activities better than the Irish anyway .At £8 or more a pint could you blame them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rory123 wrote: »
    go to the beach...OK that's free, but not great out of summer
    go paintballing...€€€
    go to the cinema...€€€
    go to a museum...OK, if you live in a city
    go to a gig...€€€
    or just go to a church.. wouldn't be seen dead involving myself with any organised religion

This is not an issue in other, even poorer, EU countries.

Because they give ski equipment away for free in Norway do they?
    In LA surf boards are tax deductible I suppose.
    There is one thing worse than being lazy. Thats being tight, and pretending to be lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I agree with the op. If were not out drinking were either on the laptop or stuck in front of the tv all night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement