Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to do in Ireland except drink !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Rory123 wrote: »
    Oh my God! I am chairman at my local. What chapter are you in? We used to have a secret handshake but that was put to a stop with all this kerfuffle over STDs. :(
    I am the Grand Imperial Wizard of all the combined Munster Chapters, Lodges, Portaloos and Occasional Circle Jerks. IMO you should still use the secret handshake: a few STDs will build up your immune system and nothing spices up a good speed **** like the danger of your knob coming off in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Get a fcuking Hobby. There is alot more to do in Ireland than drink. Join a club, or get a hobby, just stop spouting on and open your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

syklops wrote: »
    Because they give ski equipment away for free in Norway do they?
    In LA surf boards are tax deductible I suppose.
    There is one thing worse than being lazy. Thats being tight, and pretending to be lazy.
    I am not tight, I am anything but tight. I am an apprentice cabinet maker that broke my boll0ocks working for the last 3 years since I left school. Working between 45 and 60 hours a week. First year way under minimum wage, second year on minimum wage, third year marginally better than minimum wage. I lost my job 4 weeks ago and I now cannot even get a job in a fu*king sweet shop.

DO NOT TELL ME I AM TIGHT.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

If they had passed the bill for the cafe-bar thing it may have help matters but of course that didn't get through the Dail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh feck off,

*swigs whiskey*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I am not tight, I am anything but tight. I am an apprentice cabinet maker that broke my boll0ocks working for the last 3 years since I left school. Working between 45 and 60 hours a week. First year way under minimum wage, second year on minimum wage, third year marginally better than minimum wage. I lost my job 4 weeks ago and I now cannot even get a job in a fu*king sweet shop.

Jeeze Jouise, take a chill pill.

Oh sorry are they too pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One word: Quasar.

• But what about evening/night activities? It's all well and good saying 'go hillwalking' - I'm not going to do that on a Saturday night. There really isn't much else to do other than drink in Ireland on a weekend night that isn't really pricey. I agree on the point about late night cafes, they're a great idea. There's one in Rathmines I always used to go to - it was great sitting having a coffee or tea at 3am, being able to have a relaxing chat instead of sitting in a crowded pub. I don't understand why the likes of Starbucks and other cafes close at 10 or 11 or even as early as 7pm! I think if they stayed open late, people would use them. I've often gone to the pub because there was nowhere else to go other than McDonalds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I knew a norweigan couple. They complained there was nothing to do in Norway except drink. Also most men were lets say anti-social for lack of a better word. They also said suicide was high among young males. Don't know how true this is but thats what they told me.

You might be doing all that stuff to experience Norweigan culture. I did a lot of cool tourist stuff in Ireland when my australian brother in-law was over. Wouldn't have bothered or thought about it if he wasn't here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think it might also the drinking culture in Ireland has alienated a lot of people as in ,if your not drinking then your missing out on good coversation /craic when the reality is that most drunks dont remember ( or want to remember) a good intelligent conversation anyway . Why ? because it involves somebody probably telling some home truths, which may interfere with actually listening / agreeing / drinking / so it goes on and on :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There are tons of things to do here, you don't even have to use your imagination. What interests you OP? I don't think there is a lot to do for the lazy though.

Does everyone drink for free or something? Drinking is one of the more recreational things to do, and you could forget half the night anyway.

Paintball
    Skiing
    Go Karting
    Golf
    Pitch and Putt
    Crazy Golf
    Go to the beach
    Swimming
    Gym
    Horse Riding
    Martial arts
    Fishing
    Boat Hire
    Sailing
    Surfing
    Canoeing
    Visit various gardens
    Quad biking
    Walking trails
    Hill walking
    Rock climbing
    Wall climbing
    Join a club (Sport)
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Archery
    Museum
    Historical tours
    Dance clases
    Yoga/Pilates
    Cycling
    Bird watching
    Orienteering
    Scuba Diving
    Water Skiing
    Squash
    Tennis
    Badminton
    Fencing
    Chess club
    Lan parties
    Astronomy
    Pottery
    Wood working
    Gardening
    Pool
    Snooker
    Bowling
    Table Tennis

I can go on and on and on... You just need to get off your arse, do some research and find something you like... It's not that hard... really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I think it's cos it's just habit and people aren't bothered to think about anything else. It's just what they do. Plus if you decided to do something else you'd most likely be doing it on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There's nothing to do in any western capitalist country but drink!
    It's not unique to Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Iamxavier has made a great list there. There are also plenty of opportunities for getting involved in community life, or charitable organisations such as the St Vincent de Paul.
    Overflow wrote: »
    Does anyone agree that there is nothing much to do in Ireland except head to the boozer, live for the weekend and that's about it.

Dont get me wrong i love heading to the boozer for a good night out, but since i have been living abroad i find when i go home the only thing people seem to center they're life around is going out at the weekend.

When i lived in Ireland of course i did this myself, but since moving to Norway and experiencing their culture, it is very different as you can imagine. They do like drink and go out quite regularly but they are also a very active people, part-taking in tons of other activities. For example we go skiing quite often, or head to the local cross country circuit. Go ice skating on frozen lakes. Go mushroom picking :D:D, have picnics in the mountains, go on cabin trips, camping on the skerries, or in summertime we go out boating a lot, to the beach, or to the local lakes (which there are millions of) for some swimming, among numerous other things.

Complete nonsense. Most of what you describe doing in Norway can be done here as well. There are a lot of people who do nothing but drink at the weekends, but there are also a lot of people who do the other things that you long for.
    Our weather prevents us from doing much outdoors, its not cold enough for things like skiing, and skating on frozen lakes, but not warm enough and too wet to have picnics on mountains, going to the beach, swimming/surfing etc.

Not true. It doesn't rain that much more here than elsewhere in Northern Europe.
    Agree about the countryside bit but I bet there is no sporting organisation that caters for people who aren't into organised sports!

Think about that for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

45 to 60 hours a week is nothing, I often worked 100 hours a week.

Fair play to you.

Húrin wrote: »

Think about that for a minute.
    :confused: Help me out here Húrin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I would tend to agree with the OP, based on personal experience.
    It's strange but when I lived in the UK this problem didn't exist.

For a start any activities I wished to participate in were closer at hand but this wasn't the main thing.

The main thing was the receptivness of other people to me joining in these activities.

I've found alot of clubs I've tried to get involved with in Ireland have been ridiculously parochial.
    By turning up as a complete outsider, not knowing anyone in these clubs, I was treated almost like an undesirable.

In the UK when I got involved in such activities, i.e. rock-climbing, golf, shooting, I found people at these clubs to be extremely enthusiastic, welcoming and helpful.

The other problem is expense, in comparison to other coutries the cost of participating in alot of such activities in Ireland is disproportionatly dear.

On returning to Ireland I made renewed efforts to get involved in some of these activities that I had taken up but I was met with phones that didn't answer, e-mails that didn't receive replies and a general feeling of disinterest on the part of people who I spoke with about getting involved with their clubs.

"And you say you don't actually know anyone in the club?" was a typical question...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

go to the beach...OK that's free, but not great out of summer
    go paintballing...€€€
    go to the cinema...€€€
    go to a museum...OK, if you live in a city
    go to a gig...€€€
    or just go to a church.. wouldn't be seen dead involving myself with any organised religion

This is not an issue in other, even poorer, EU countries.

Seeing as we are talking about alternatives to drinking which costs money, why is money an issue for other activities?

Seeing as we are talking about alternatives to drinking which costs money, why is money an issue for other activities?
    No such thing as a free lunch .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

:confused: Help me out here Húrin.

surely disorganised sports would not have an organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm in Glasgow at the minute and there's nothing to do but drink. In fact, they drink more than we do.

I don't go to pubs, or really drink apart from the odd beer, so I can't really comment there! ;)
    .... And also that I don't have any money.

I'm in Glasgow at the minute and there's nothing to do but drink. In fact, they drink more than we do.
    Think they are just above the Irish in the consumation of alcohol table , although that was a stat from a few years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

i like lazy...

Agamemnon wrote: »
    Ah, then you haven't heard of W.O.E., the **** Organisation of Eire. It facilitates those of us who love the solitary sport of speed ****. I am free to tug myself vigorously in the privacy of my own home, while W.O.E. send me e-mails with tips on things like technique, diet, cleaning up and foreskin first aid. I can't understand why we were turned down for a National Lottery grant; they'll be sorry when I take home gold from the Onanist Olympics, the bastards. :mad:

You didn't get that National Lottery grant cos we got it, losers...
    That's right the P.W.F. (Power **** Federation) is the one true **** federation in Ireland.
    Current winners of the coveted 'Golden Cock' awards, 7 years running.

Forget the rest, tug with the best.
    P.W.F. 4life baby...

You didn't get that National Lottery grant cos we got it, losers...
    That's right the P.W.F. (Power **** Federation) is the one true **** federation in Ireland.
    Current winners of the coveted 'Golden Cock' awards, 7 years running.

Forget the rest, tug with the best.
    P.W.F. 4life baby...
    I feel a ****-off coming, :eek:

I feel a ****-off coming, :eek:

Oh no you didn't!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Sam Kade wrote: »
    45 to 60 hours a week is nothing, I often worked 100 hours a week.

if you were workin 100hours a week you wouldnt be worried about doing anything after work! that would leave about 9 hours per day to eat and sleep,thats including saturday and sunday,plus even on minimun wage you would be making over 800euro a week so you would have money to do things but no time to do it:)

what job was that?

• Advertisement

bladebrew wrote: »
    if you were workin 100hours a week you wouldnt be worried about doing anything after work! that would leave about 9 hours per day to eat and sleep,thats including saturday and sunday,plus even on minimun wage you would be making over 800euro a week so you would have money to do things but no time to do it:)

what job was that?
    Professional fibber

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement