Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to do in Ireland except drink !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know some taxi drivers who work 100 hours a week.But most would not do so if they did'nt have to , thank you very much . I would imagine there are thousends more doing same although a % of those will be slaves to the have no life job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would tend to agree with the OP, based on personal experience.
    It's strange but when I lived in the UK this problem didn't exist.

For a start any activities I wished to participate in were closer at hand but this wasn't the main thing.

The main thing was the receptivness of other people to me joining in these activities.

I've found alot of clubs I've tried to get involved with in Ireland have been ridiculously parochial.
    By turning up as a complete outsider, not knowing anyone in these clubs, I was treated almost like an undesirable.

In the UK when I got involved in such activities, i.e. rock-climbing, golf, shooting, I found people at these clubs to be extremely enthusiastic, welcoming and helpful.

The other problem is expense, in comparison to other coutries the cost of participating in alot of such activities in Ireland is disproportionatly dear.

On returning to Ireland I made renewed efforts to get involved in some of these activities that I had taken up but I was met with phones that didn't answer, e-mails that didn't receive replies and a general feeling of disinterest on the part of people who I spoke with about getting involved with their clubs.

"And you say you don't actually know anyone in the club?" was a typical question...

I went wall climbing before, with one of my mates. Didn't know anybody in the club but we got a great welcome and had a great laugh. I was afraid of my life of heights, but not so bad at the end of it. I just wish I was a little fitter for it.

I agree that a lot of sports do require a partner to participate in them. You can go to the club on your own though.

Do not compare the expence to another country. It's stupid. You don't take into account levels of pay etc etc...
    I'm in Glasgow at the minute and there's nothing to do but drink. In fact, they drink more than we do.

Get off your arse and do something about it, there's plenty to do. What interests you?

We could do with more recreational facilities. Would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

latchyco wrote: »
    I know some taxi drivers who work 100 hours a week.But most would not do so if they did'nt have to , thank you very much . I would imagine there are thousends more doing same although a % of those will be slaves to the have no life job .

they must be driving the cabs that flick out of bus lanes without indicating!

nah seriously thats crazy noboby should have to work that many hours,but isnt that why there protesting,if they actually spent 100hours a week driving fares theyd be millionaires! sorry way off topic:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

bladebrew wrote: »
    they must be driving the cabs that flick out of bus lanes without indicating!

nah seriously thats crazy noboby should have to work that many hours,but isnt that why there protesting,if they actually spent 100hours a week driving fares theyd be millionaires! sorry way off topic:eek:
    For every person who manages to live of his 45 /60 hr week wage ,their are probably another 70 who have to put in the extra unsociable hrs to pay the bills. Thats not taking into account overtime /people who have to work on the side ( to pay the bills ) That I think goes without saying .But that's a moral ethic thing and like you, also slightly off topic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Do not compare the expence to another country. It's stupid. You don't take into account levels of pay etc etc...

Just last night I had a conversation with my sister who lived in Barcelona for many years... She said that 7 nights a week she could do any sort of leisure or cultural activity etc for free or extremely cheap, on her doorstep. Even late into the night. And it didn't have to involve alcohol. That takes into account rates of pay because they don't get paid €0 in Barcelona!

That''s the sort of thing I'd like to see. Even if there is a free open air gig here for example, you have to reserve tickets online weeks in advance, plan it, end up having to pay for special busses as normal busses won't get u there. etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

latchyco wrote: »
    For every person who manages to live of his 45 /60 hr week wage ,their are probably another 70 who have to put in the extra unsociable hrs to pay the bills. Thats not taking into account overtime /people who have to work on the side ( to pay the bills ) That I think goes without saying .But that's a moral ethic thing and like you, also slightly off topic .

dont worry nobody will be doing those hours in a recession,
    1 in 70 does 45/60 hours a week and the other 70 do more??

Rory123 wrote: »
    Just last night I had a conversation with my sister who lived in Barcelona for many years... She said that 7 nights a week she could do any sort of leisure or cultural activity etc for free or extremely cheap, on her doorstep. Even late into the night. And it didn't have to involve alcohol. That takes into account rates of pay because they don't get paid €0 in Barcelona!

That''s the sort of thing I'd like to see. Even if there is a free open air gig here for example, you have to reserve tickets online weeks in advance, plan it, end up having to pay for special busses as normal busses won't get u there. etc etc

Level of living is a lot better in Ireland than it is in Spain. It's impossible to compare countries like that. They have one thing but we have another bla bla bla...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Exactly. Like we have meat and potatoes but they have women.

• Level of living is a lot better in Ireland than it is in Spain. It's impossible to compare countries like that. They have one thing but we have another bla bla bla...

Huh? Just how is the level of living a lot better in Ireland? Lived in Spain for a while and there were very few things you could fault about the place. Literally the only thing I thought was better in Ireland was the milk. The salaries are lower there but things are so affordable that you end up better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I presume you meant 'expense'.
    How is making such a comparison stupid, as you say?
    The UK's not exactly a third-world country (yet).
    I would have thought that our two economies are similar enought to make
    a relevant comparison

A stupid comparison would be saying something like this.
    The price of sand in Ireland is ridiculous, you can get it for next to nothing in Morocco"...
    I went wall climbing before, with one of my mates. Didn't know anybody in the club but we got a great welcome and had a great laugh.
    My point was trying to get involved in clubs on your own, singularly.
    If I were to wait around for mates to get involved in things with me then I'd never do anything.

• Advertisement

Rory123 wrote: »

This seems to be closer to the root of the problem.
    Even trying to drive to events in Ireland is an absolute nightmare,
    what with traffic jams, parking etc.
    Have you ever tried to get out of 'Oxygen' in Punchestown?
    FFS the place is stuck away off down a warren of back roads.
    Perhaps there are reasily accessible locations in Ireland that could
    be used alot more for holding big events that attract massive crowds.
    I'm not just talking about concerts.
    The Phoenix Park springs to mind...

Level of living is a lot better in Ireland than it is in Spain. It's impossible to compare countries like that. They have one thing but we have another bla bla bla...
    15 years ago maybe, not now though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would tend to agree with the OP, based on personal experience.
    It's strange but when I lived in the UK this problem didn't exist.

For a start any activities I wished to participate in were closer at hand but this wasn't the main thing.

The main thing was the receptivness of other people to me joining in these activities.

I've found alot of clubs I've tried to get involved with in Ireland have been ridiculously parochial.
    By turning up as a complete outsider, not knowing anyone in these clubs, I was treated almost like an undesirable.

In the UK when I got involved in such activities, i.e. rock-climbing, golf, shooting, I found people at these clubs to be extremely enthusiastic, welcoming and helpful.

The other problem is expense, in comparison to other coutries the cost of participating in alot of such activities in Ireland is disproportionatly dear.

On returning to Ireland I made renewed efforts to get involved in some of these activities that I had taken up but I was met with phones that didn't answer, e-mails that didn't receive replies and a general feeling of disinterest on the part of people who I spoke with about getting involved with their clubs.

"And you say you don't actually know anyone in the club?" was a typical question...
    +1 As you say it's not so much the lack of activities as the lack of people to do them with. Plus the expense. And I must say many of the types who do go in for other non drinking activites are part of the problem. Damn near every club I've been involved in over the years has spontaneity dragged out of it, by the "committee mentality"(or is that commitaaay) from the grass routes. Maybe because they're rebelling against the drinking culture here by being mind numbingly beige. It's the usual either or scenario. Half the time you'll lose the fúcking will to live and actually need a drink, before the day is out. Thus canceling out the benefits.
    While I take some of your point, IMHO it's utter claptrap to begin to suggest the level(standard?) of living is better here than in Spain. Only if you go by wages and plumbers driving mercs. Forget for the moment, that they have better medical, transport and general social care, there is simply more to do and more places to go. More clubs, organisations,(mostly free) vastly(and I mean vastly) cheaper theatre, concerts, museums etc than here. Obviously as the population is so much bigger of course. Even when you compare wages, the difference is staggering. If you're in Madrid or Barcelona, there is just so so much more to do of a weekend. There are places to go, facilities on hand, people(who wont bore you into an early grave) and an actual public transport system that'll get you there.

Hell I had this not so long ago, with foreign types who wanted to see Dublin. They had four days to kill. More than enough to get a decent taste of the place(inc. the usual trip to Newgrange and Glendalough.). Even then it involved me driving a fair bit and scratching my head as to what to do next that either wouldn't numb them with boredom or cost the earth(and no, Dublinia is a one trick pony). Try and "do" paris or milan or madrid in four days.

PS I agree with Harmoni White Babyhood, the milk and butter is rank in Spain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

There are tons of things to do here, you don't even have to use your imagination. What interests you OP? I don't think there is a lot to do for the lazy though.

Does everyone drink for free or something? Drinking is one of the more recreational things to do, and you could forget half the night anyway.

Paintball
    Skiing
    Go Karting
    Golf
    Pitch and Putt
    Crazy Golf
    Go to the beach
    Swimming
    Gym
    Horse Riding
    Martial arts
    Fishing
    Boat Hire
    Sailing
    Surfing
    Canoeing
    Visit various gardens
    Quad biking
    Walking trails
    Hill walking
    Rock climbing
    Wall climbing
    Join a club (Sport)
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Archery
    Museum
    Historical tours
    Dance clases
    Yoga/Pilates
    Cycling
    Bird watching
    Orienteering
    Scuba Diving
    Water Skiing
    Squash
    Tennis
    Badminton
    Fencing
    Chess club
    Lan parties
    Astronomy
    Pottery
    Wood working
    Gardening
    Pool
    Snooker
    Bowling
    Table Tennis

I can go on and on and on... You just need to get off your arse, do some research and find something you like... It's not that hard... really.

ya!!!
    i saw a lot of people queueing outside every house/church/venue/club where these activities are organized .. :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 As you say it's not so much the lack of activities as the lack of people to do them with. Plus the expense. And I must say many of the types who do go in for other non drinking activites are part of the problem. Damn near every club I've been involved in over the years has spontaneity dragged out of it, by the "committee mentality"(or is that commitaaay) from the grass routes. Maybe because they're rebelling against the drinking culture here by being mind numbingly beige. It's the usual either or scenario. Half the time you'll lose the fúcking will to live and actually need a drink, before the day is out. Thus canceling out the benefits.

Ah yes, the commm-it-eeeee...
    How many of these have we encountered where you're either in the clique or not.
    As I say, having been involved with comparative organisations in the UK, the focus was on getting stuck in, having fun and passing on knowledge to people starting out.
    Not massaging egos and maintaining the exclusivity of 'this thing of ours'.

I've also noticed the 'GAA problem' in most of Ireland's villages and small towns.
    As a sporting and social entity, if you're not into / part of the local GAA then you're pretty much left out.
    This is not so much a criticism as an observation.
    It just strikes me that if one were into GAA the one would have alot less difficulty in, say, integrating oneself into a new community and getting involved in things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

There are two sides to this really. On one hand, life is what you make it, wherever you're living. Lots of posters have already pointed out the activities you can do in Ireland , besides the pub. Yes, some of them *shock* cost money or involve *shock* a bit of organizing, but it would be the same anywhere else in the world. What do you expect really- not everything just falls into your lap.

However, there is no doubt, that due to our history, there is a huge drinking culture here. There is should be more done to facilitate people who don't want to drink- i.e. café bars (great idea!), proper youth centers where teenagers could just relax, play pool, etc, for free, rather than hanging around the streets or playing sports (because not everyone enjoys sports).

That's not to say you should just sit back and moan about Ireland in general because your mates just want to get hammered every weekend, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Try and "do" paris or milan or madrid in four days.

i did madrid in 3 days, that included all parts of the city from a real madrid match in the bernabeu (which took up the whole first day between flying from lisbon, finding our hotel to getting back after the match which took a while with 80,000 trying to use the subway at once) to a star wars type convention in the Cuatro Torres Business Area (was there to see the leaning towers), all the major sites such as the palace and Casa de Campo in the west to Retiro park to las ventas, tv tower in the east, the weekend nightlife in the sol/huertas area (i found sunday night pretty dead), i didn't go shopping, if i was a female that would obviously take up a large amount of time

This seems to be closer to the root of the problem.
    Even trying to drive to events in Ireland is an absolute nightmare,
    what with traffic jams, parking etc.
    Have you ever tried to get out of 'Oxygen' in Punchestown?
    FFS the place is stuck away off down a warren of back roads.

haven't been to oxygen or ever plan on going (3 days in the mud sounds like hella fun :() but i have seen one or two huge bands in that venue and thought it was grand, i used dublin bus to and from the venue (marlay park is a much bigger pain in the ass than punchestown for concerts, tiny city streets traffic crawling all the way, then the carpark or bus is about 2 miles walk from the venue, 3-4 different security searches)

this problem is not just confined to ireland, if you think punchestown is bad try giants stadium just outside NYC or more to the point the meadowlands arena across the road, middle of nowhere, about 5 cabs for 20,000 people no public transport nothing

All-state arena outside chicago was even worse, it was pouring rain no public transport either, no cabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

take some acid. You'll go on a different trip every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Assuming that the OP is in Dublin:

One of Dublins selling points is it's position. What to do in London? Well most people probably drink after work as well, and what is wrong with that anyway? But if you want a beach, or a hill walk, you travel busy roads, or lines to other cities. Dublin has it's own beaches. It has it's own hills, and cliff walks - all on the DART. The Wicklow mountains are travalble by bus in a day. Off you go and walk. Or nordic walk.

The rest, the indoor stuff, the yoga , the pilates, etc is the same as everywhere

( One of the things we should all do, I think, is volunteer for charities, etc. I day that but I dont. So note to self: do that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

That's a really good topic OP! I wanted to start something similar many times but was afraid that people will lynch me or something.

I'm non native who came to Ireland some time ago, a social drinker which is seen as a sin by so many in Ireland. It means that I do enjoy drinking time to time, but I also do see doing the same things everytime I'm off (I mean drinking) as losing of my time.

I live in Galway, small town in the west. We have 2 bowling centers here, you can play snooker or go swimming. There's also 2 cinemas, museum and the aquarium with jellyfishes. Connemara and Clifs of Moher are less than an hour drive from here. Sounds like interesting place.. and yet, it is interesting place. At least until you will see all those places 3-4 times. And what next?

Looks like no other option but spend my euros abroad. I think Ireland really need new attractions, especially now during the recession when every additional euro coin is worth as much as it was made from gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Overflow wrote: »
    Does anyone agree that there is nothing much to do in Ireland except head to the boozer, live for the weekend and that's about it.

So much so that Im headin to the offie right now :D:D:D:D I've been workin all weekend, and I start really early so cant go out, too old to work while hung over...However, tonight is my friday and saturday all rolled into one...:D:D:D:D toodles y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't the main reason for a lack of rip-snorting fun things to do in Ireland, due to the insurance premiums? There always seems to be some people who have their own neck-brace within easy reach, so that they can put it on and ring their ambulance-chasing lawyers when they stub their toe in the middle of an adventure.

While I take some of your point, IMHO it's utter claptrap to begin to suggest the level(standard?) of living is better here than in Spain. Only if you go by wages and plumbers driving mercs. Forget for the moment, that they have better medical, transport and general social care, there is simply more to do and more places to go. More clubs, organisations,(mostly free) vastly(and I mean vastly) cheaper theatre, concerts, museums etc than here. Obviously as the population is so much bigger of course. Even when you compare wages, the difference is staggering. If you're in Madrid or Barcelona, there is just so so much more to do of a weekend. There are places to go, facilities on hand, people(who wont bore you into an early grave) and an actual public transport system that'll get you there.

Hell I had this not so long ago, with foreign types who wanted to see Dublin. They had four days to kill. More than enough to get a decent taste of the place(inc. the usual trip to Newgrange and Glendalough.). Even then it involved me driving a fair bit and scratching my head as to what to do next that either wouldn't numb them with boredom or cost the earth(and no, Dublinia is a one trick pony). Try and "do" paris or milan or madrid in four days.

PS I agree with Harmoni White Babyhood, the milk and butter is rank in Spain.

Pfft!!! Compare the minimum wage. You are comparing a city of 1 million people with another city with close to 30 million. There is NO comparison.

You guys just b!tch and whine about the lack of facilities, yet there is absolutely tons to do. A bus will take you from any area in dublin to the city, where there is lots to do. You may have to drive or organise a lift to some of these places but that's just life. Deal with it. There is so so much to do at the weekends here also, but people have an ignorant mentality about it. Golf or squash seems to be better in other countries... I googled some places lastnight, unbelievable what I found. So the argument of "there's nothing to do, whine whine whine" doesn't have a leg to stand on. Not every rural area can facilitate everybodies needs, you know what? Tough sh!t. Get transport of some sort, if you are not willing to do something for yourself, why should anyone else?

Anyway, I am off to my local park to play some tennis. Oh look at that, it's free :)
    Blackpitts wrote: »
    ya!!!
    i saw a lot of people queueing outside every house/church/venue/club where these activities are organized .. :pac:

What exactly are you saying? I don't think you will see this in many places you visit...

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I live in Galway, small town in the west. We have 2 bowling centers here, you can play snooker or go swimming. There's also 2 cinemas, museum and the aquarium with jellyfishes. Connemara and Clifs of Moher are less than an hour drive from here. Sounds like interesting place.. and yet, it is interesting place. At least until you will see all those places 3-4 times. And what next?

Looks like no other option but spend my euros abroad. I think Ireland really need new attractions, especially now during the recession when every additional euro coin is worth as much as it was made from gold.

connemara is a huge area, it takes you a long time to see that fully once never mind 4 times )

what about salthill, barna, spiddel, burren, Aliwee cave, aran islands, loch corrib, loch mask, in galway city itself you have Go Karting, greyhound, stadium, theatres, an arts centre, an equestrian centre, golf courses

ireland needs new attractions for sure, i have long complained on this forum that dublin needs a mega-casino and a huge themepark but there are plenty of things to do here already.

but this problem exists everywhere, i bet venice will still have st marks square and rialto bridge next time i visit :) the only city that i know that has re-invented itself over the last 30 years is las vegas and only then the strip while downtown has stayed stagnant except for a big roof, new hotels and attractions pop up on the strip every 6 months. orlando is still much the same as it was in the 1980s, how many times can one ride space mountain or watch shamu drown another victim with water, and yet it attracts 50 million people every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Go bowling or something. Almost everyone I know plays sports.

Dean820 wrote: »
    Go bowling or something. Almost everyone I know plays sports.
    I'm guessing you probably are into sports so you surround yourself with people who play sports? I am not into sports so I don't generally socialise with sports fans or players.

I don't think you really get the point of this thread... a bowling lane costs like €35 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

asdasd wrote: »
    . What to do in London? Well most people probably drink after work as well,

They drink at Lunchtime also :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i did madrid in 3 days
    No offence but you most certainly didn't. I can think of about 10 art galleries of the top of my head with about the same number in Barcelona. Rome? forget about it.
    Pfft!!! Compare the minimum wage. You are comparing a city of 1 million people with another city with close to 30 million. There is NO comparison.
    Actually I did just that if you actually read it.
    mise wrote:
    Obviously as the population is so much bigger of course. Even when you compare wages, the difference is staggering

I stand by it. Regardless of the reasons, there is simply more to do in Madrid or pretty much any major city in Europe when compared to Dublin. Yes the population is smaller here, but it's not that small and said population is dismally served for entertainment and no I don't consider playing tennis in the local park the epitome of things to do. BTW I dunno how you count but the population of madrid isn't 30 million, its closer to 5 million. Dublin is close to 1.5 million.
    You guys just b!tch and whine about the lack of facilities, yet there is absolutely tons to do.
    Like what? Kick a ball in a park or throw in a tennis racket for novelty? Any other specialised sport will cost money and in some cases a fair bit of money. Free or very cheap well supported sports facilities are hardly thick on the ground here. What makes it worse is the lack of covered facilities with the vagaries of our weather.
    A bus will take you from any area in dublin to the city, where there is lots to do.
    Again like what? OK lets say running around a park isn't your thing. How many museums are there? How many regular open air markets are there? At night, how much are you paying for theatre tickets. Decent gigs(I don't mean three college kids with an equal amount of chords and a scowl either, though no harm in that either). OK now eating out is getting cheaper as the celtic cubs are running outa money, but up until recently eating out to any standard was raping ones wallet.
    You may have to drive or organise a lift to some of these places but that's just life. Deal with it.
    I agree there.
    There is so so much to do at the weekends here also, but people have an ignorant mentality about it.
    If you're not into footy with your mates or similar there really isnt.

Look it písses me off too when the Irish whine. Actually its not the whining, its more the "lets do sweet fúck all about it" that gets me. Or the usual mewling from - well I can't be polite so I won't describe them - along the lines of "well if ya don't like it why don't ya leave, wah wah". The voice of the beige raised in disgruntlement. To be fair to you, you're not among their number.
    Rory123 wrote:
    I'm guessing you probably are into sports so you surround yourself with people who play sports? I am not into sports so I don't generally socialise with sports fans or players.

I don't think you really get the point of this thread... a bowling lane costs like €35 per hour.
    Bingo. Pretty much anything worth doing costs moola out of proportion to both the quality of the facilities and our much vaunted wages(even more so as the reality bites).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

• Pfft!!! Compare the minimum wage. You are comparing a city of 1 million people with another city with close to 30 million. There is NO comparison.

Would you ever stop making things up? The population of Dublin is a lot more than 1 million, and no city in Western Europe has a population of 30 million. :rolleyes:

And what's your point about the minimum wage? Yes, it's high in Ireland, and the cost of living in astronomical. The cinema costs over a tenner for a ticket, bowling costs 30-40 quid an hour. Iceskating is a rip. Where are all these fun, free activities that don't involve doing sports outside in the dark and rain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement