Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a copy of a cheque,is it possible?

Options
  • 21-02-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am hoping someone who works in a bank can answer this query for me.
    Its just that I need to get a copy of a cheque (infact 3 cheques) that I would have lodged to my account some months back,I wont go into detail as to why I need this but suffice to say it is required by an ex-workmate who dosent believe something (dont ask) anyway I am just wondering how long do the bank keep these cheques once lodged,am I right in saying that once they are cleared they are destroyed? Any one who works in a bank please??

Cheers

ICE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Asha

Hi ICE

I work for one of the "BIG 2" banks & it is straightforward enough to get copies of your lodgments. Everything that is processed is copied/scanned & we can pull up the copies on our system.

Depending what bank you are with it should be done within a day. In fact I can do it straight away!

I hope this is of some help to you!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I am just wondering how long do the bank keep these cheques once lodged,am I right in saying that once they are cleared they are destroyed?

As Asha said, it's very straightforward to get a copy. The banks are actually required to retain the original cheque for a period of time too (not sure how long exactly, it's a couple of years!) So it is also possible to request the original, although AFAIK, you need to have a good reason for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Don't think you can get the original anymore.
    Normally they will send you a copy of both the front and the back of the original cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

Thats great folks thanx so much for your replies,:)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Don't think you can get the original anymore.
    Normally they will send you a copy of both the front and the back of the original cheque.

You can, however they'll usually only give it our for a good reason ie court order or something. I got one for a customer at the start of Jan, so unless it's changed since then. I work in BOI, tho so not sure what the case is with other banks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement