Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting strength and milk

Options
  • 21-02-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

ok so everyone in this forum seems to have done or is doing starting strength and as its gotten such high praise im giving it a go myself.
    my main gaol is to put on weight, ive been stuck around ten stone for years and have done various weight training routines on and off for years. i have a universal machine in the shed but i joined the gym in january and am giving it a proper go now. started doing some stuff in january and then went on holiyers so starting starting strength from scratch now. also tyring to eat my own weight in food each day and a lot of milk to supplement my low appetite. anyway heres my details and this weeks sessions:

26 y/o; 10 st; 5'8'';male

tuesday:

Squats
    20kg x2x5
    25kg x5
    30kg x3
    40kg x2
    50kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    25kg x5
    30kg x3
    35kg x2
    40kg x3x5

Pull Ups
    3 sets to failure of 10/5/3

was fairly wrecked afterwards but in that good way. my squats werent all i could but i didnt want to try too much too soon, bench was hard enough though and pull ups were too.

thursday

Squats
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x3x5

Press
    20kg x2x5
    20kg x3
    22.5kg x2
    25kg x3x5

Deadlifts
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    30kg x3
    40kg x2
    50kg x5

not so wrecked i can definitely add more the squats and deads, but the press was hard, i dont think ill start with the bar in future

saturday

Squats
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    65kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    25kg x5
    30kg x3
    35kg x2
    45kg x3x5

Deadlifts
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x5

ok this was todays session and was fairly intensive, my squats were more like a proper workout today than they have been also the same with deadlifts, ill add another 5kgs on tuesday and see how they are next week. the bench was definitely hard going but it was good to put in a decent shift.
    i havent been doing powercleans because ive never done them and was doing some SS variation i found on the wiki site but im gonna do them next week and just do the original SS, might as well do it properly, dont want to be accused of being a pussy :).
    food wise i think i could be eating more or at least more snacks, been drinking lots of milk though so well see how things go

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

right week two, been looking forward to today all weekend.
    tuesday

weight: 10st 3lbs

Squat
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    70kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    35kg x3
    40kg x2
    47.5kg x3x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    60kg x2
    75kg x5

happy enough with that, the deadlift was hard. i was just gonna go to 70 but i thought i could do it. not sure about the form though so ill have to keep it mind next time. bench i was pleased with, its giong well. squats were pretty good too. i couldnt tell the weight of the bar for the squats so from now on im just using bars that are labelled. the weight seems to be going up but until i get past 10-6 im not taking the scales word for it. foodwise i think im ok been drinking plenty of milk and trying to eat so ill see how the weight goes next week. overall happy with the lifting, more weight going onto the bar is good. looking forward to giving the clean a go on thursday.

thursday

Squat
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    45kg x3
    60kg x2
    75kg x3x5

Press
    10kg x2x5
    15kg x5
    20kg x3
    22.5kg x2
    27.5kg x3x5

Clean
    15kg x5
    20kg x3x5

found the squats hard enough today. i wasnt sure if i could do 75kg tbh, but i managed it and ill try 80kg on saturday, but i think it will be a massive struggle. OH press felt good though, i found it hard last week doing 25kg but the extra 2.5 was ok, warming up with the bar was a mistake, so ill keep starting at 10kg for a while. compared to all the other lifts the press is the worst so id like to see that go up a lot more. the clean, ah well what can i say. first time doing it, and i think i was all over the place, ill keep using the bar until im happy with my form. felt like people were looking thinking 'whats he doing?' but sure fcuk it. i need a lot of practice before that starts to move along.
    looking forward to saturday i like deadlifting. i need to eat more though, my appetite sucks

Saturday

Squat
    20kg x2x5
    35kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x2
    80kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    35kg x3
    40kg x2
    50kg x3x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    55kg x3
    65kg x2
    85kg x5

phew that was hard. everything still going up which is great, especially pleased with the bench, couldnt do 50kg a month ago so to get 3x5 is great. squats were tough, cant see it going up so much for much longer but ill go for 85kg on tuesday. grip is going on the deadlift but ive not been using a mixed grip so ill start next week, i think i can go up 95kg next week but its bloody hard. not so sure the weight is going up as much as id like. NEED TO EAT MORE. ill check the scales tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

Just curious......why so much squats and bench? You seem to be consentrating alot of your time on the same exersises. By the looks of things you are doing a 3 day split. Why not split it up in to 2 muscle groups each day? something like:
    Tues: Chest and Biceps
    Thurs: Shoulders and Back
    Sat: Legs and triceps

I also notice you dont seem to be doing any ab work or cardio.

What kind of diet are you on?
    If you want to put on weight you should be eationg loads of carbs like pasta and rice and loads of high protien foods like fish, chicken and turkey.
    How often do you eat? Do you have set meals throughout the day or are you constantly eating all day?

firstly im doing the starting strength program its a 2 day split of squats/bench/ deadlift and squat/OH press/power clean. thats the program, so im just going to follow it and see if i make any progress. the point is to squat 3x a week, which is fine by me i have really skinny legs.
    no cardio, im fairly skinny so i dont want to lose any weight.
    my diet is where im most likely to fall. my appetite is crap, but i trying to eat every 2-3 hours which is about 5-6 times a day. i dont eat much crap so its a lot of fruit and some veg, then tuna, eggs, wholegrain bread, fish, chicken etc and about a litre or 2 a day of milk. my weight seems to be going up but if im not full i dont feel ive eaten enough.
    thanks for the comments though, im going to stick with the workout for the moment and try eat everything in my house.

• Advertisement

week 3

weight: 10st 6lbs

tuesday

squat
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    65kg x2
    82.5kg x3x5

OH press
    10kg x2x5
    15kg x5
    20kg x3
    25kg x2
    30kg x3x5

power clean
    15kg x5
    20kg x2x5
    25kg x5

well not the best workout. squats were really hard. i was going to go for 85kg but thought better of it and 82.5 was more than enough. my form was all over the place and i was really slow for the last 1 or 2 in each set. definitely keeping the weight the same next time. weight went up in the press, but found it hard enough, i was still wrecked form the squats. i think it can still go up, the first rep was almost the hardest, wierd. cleans, well still learning to do them. the movement isnt so hard but the racking is. i keep hitting my neck or bouncing the bar onto the top of my chest. i put 5kg on the bar just to give it a go with some weight ill add a bit more next time, it felt a little better with weight.
    weight seems to be going up though, i dont think its really gone up 6lbs in two weeks, i fluctuate between 10 and 10 3 so well see. just gotta keep eating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im just about to start this programme after months of messing around and generally just trying to figure out what i can/cant do etc etc

keep up the progress, and keep posting.

do you mind me asking if you do any other work aswell as the 3 main exercises each session?

If you are trying to loose weight you could still do cardio but do HIIT cardio. You could use sit ups,push ups,dips,pull ups,squats in the HIIT cardio training to help build yourself up as well as incorporate cardio.

Cardio will help speed up you matabolism which will make you hungry more often and make you eat more.

Do a google search on HIT or HIIT or high intensity cardio to find some good routines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ralphweddell

is milk actually that good for you? drinking as much as these threads say seems like a lot of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Keep up the work man you're doing really well. You're getting stronger and you'll get bigger by default. Good work on the milk too, it will help you grow like no other food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

philiy wrote: »
    If you are trying to loose weight you could still do cardio but do HIIT cardio. You could use sit ups,push ups,dips,pull ups,squats in the HIIT cardio training to help build yourself up as well as incorporate cardio.

Cardio will help speed up you matabolism which will make you hungry more often and make you eat more.

Do a google search on HIT or HIIT or high intensity cardio to find some good routines.

i play football 3 times a week too, so i was kinda relying on that to be suffuicient for my cardio needs. wanted to do the weight training on different days.

ie.
    football monday, thursday, satuarday
    weights wed, fri, sun.

i was just worried i was going blind and missing some exercises as 3 exercises for one nights work in the gym seems quite low?

@ bigstar : sorry for hi-jacking your thread and dragging it off topic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

is milk actually that good for you? drinking as much as these threads say seems like a lot of milk.

for bulking its your best friend, lots of calories and protein!

[QUOTE=philiy;59279422]If you are trying to loose weight you could still do cardio but do HIIT cardio. You could use sit ups,push ups,dips,pull ups,squats in the HIIT cardio training to help build yourself up as well as incorporate cardio.

Do a google search on HIT or HIIT or high intensity cardio to find some good routines.[/QUOTE]

If you are trying to loose weight , that should be Gain weight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

philiy wrote: »
    If you are trying to loose weight , that should be Gain weight
    intense weight training has been shown to increase metabolism more than anything (i think)

jaysus, thanks for all the comments. things are going well so far (till today) so im gonna stick with what im doing.
    i dont fancy the HIIT philiy, im enjoying the compound lifts and the simplicity of the programme.
    kceire, you can add some stuff dips and pull ups and sit ups and hyper exts. i got that from startingstrength.net, but i find you get a good hour out of it when the weights get heavier. depends if you like it yourself.
    i cant believe i didnt drink this much milk before. the parents are going mad that theres no milk left :D
    anyway today was a bit crap

Sqaut
    20kg x2x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x2
    82.5kg x3
    80kg x2x5

crap crap crap. went swimming yesterday with my gf and i am not a good swimmer. she was a lifeguard so she was teaching me but i was wrecked and still felt it today so i hope thats what fcuked me up. wont be doing again.crap

Bench
    smith machine benches up to 3x5x40kg with the bar cause gf didnt want to do it on her own. crap

no deadlift. crap

gf came today and it didnt go well. disaster of session. scratch this day, im going to repeat on saturday, cant be missing deadlifts, theyre so good.

saturday

Sqaut
    20kg x2x5
    35kg x5
    45kg x3
    65kg x2
    82.5kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    35kg x3
    40kg x2
    52.5kg x3x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x3
    75kg x2
    95kg x5

hard session. deadlifts were hard beyond reason. not sure how long i can keep upping the weights on the squat and deadlift, bench will go up next week. squats were fairly slow for the last couple of reps, but better than last time. bench felt good, hard but good. deadlift nearly killed me, lower back was really sore during and after it. not too sure form wise. starting using mixed grip which made it a lot easier to hold the bar, cant say the rest of my body would feel that way, that was fcukin hard. think ill keep the squat the same on tuesday, a bit worried about my form.

Tuesday

Weight:10st 9lbs

Squat
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x2
    82.5kg x3x5

OH Press
    10kg x2x5
    15kg x5
    20kg x3
    25kg x2
    32.2kg x3x5

Power Clean
    15kg x2x5
    20kg x5
    25kg x5
    35kg x3x5

Pull Ups
    BW x8,5,4

felt good today the squats can go up next time. press felt good, it was heavy for the last few reps but felt ok. clean is still a work in progress. felt better with some weight, but i keep hitting my throat or bouncing the bar off my upper chest, some reps felt decent, my elbows dont go up enough, must keep it in mind. threw in some pull ups, felt ok.
    putting on more weight, thats 9lbs in 3 weeks, so happy with that, dont feel any bigger tbh, but im getting heavier.

Thursday

Squat
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    45kg x3
    65kg x2
    85kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    35kg x3
    45kg x2
    55kg x3x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    60kg x3
    80kg x2
    100kg x5 oh yeah!

Dips
    10x2, 5 x BW

good good workout. squats felt heavy but better than they have been ill keep the weight the same for the next workout and then up it hopefully. bench felt good and solid, heavy too but doable. deadlift felt great, getting to 100, two plates either side, didnt feel too heavy either, the 95 felt harder last week. unsure about my form though, concentrated on keeping my back arched but it was hard to feel if it was or not, must video it forgot the camera today. dips were good too. overall, good hard day.
    hitting 100kg in deadlift made me think about some new goals. my wieght is going up so i should get to 11st soon enough. gonna focus on getting the lifts up too.
    Goals:
    100kg Squat
    70kg Bench
    120kg Deadlift i hope there not too ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Good stuff bigstar, keep it up! :)

Saturday

Squat
    20kg x2x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x2
    87.5kg x3x5

OH Press
    10kg x5
    20kg x5
    25kg x5
    30kg x3
    35kg x5
    32.5kg x2x5

Power Clean
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x2x5
    40kg x3x5

good enough, wasnt gonna up the squat but i thougt id give it a shot and it felt ok so happy with that. press was a bit of a mess, i went to warm up with a 10kg bar and someone took the oly bar i was using, so i had to get it back and then forgot what i was lifting last time. tried 35kg felt it was too much, so dropped to 32. cleans are getting better, definitely feel the form is better with some weight on the bar. dont think ive eaten enough this week though. must eat more food next week.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

weight: 10st 9lbs :(
    Squat
    20kg x2x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    65kg x2
    87.5kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    35kg x3
    45kg x2
    57.5kg x3x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x3
    80kg x2
    100kg x5

hard enough today. sqauts felt good maybe i can to to 90 next time, but its feeling too hard to increase every workout, and im not confident i can up it so im keeping back til i feel the weight is ok. bench keeps going up though its hard but im able to do it, after i get 60 i might slow down a bit ill see. deadlifts were awfully hard, didnt feel so bad last time but i think my form was better. ill keep at 100 for another seesion. very hard today, when the deadlifts are hard im always wrecked.
    weight was the same though ill have to eat more this week, and drink more milk, i felt i let it slide a little last week.
    4 week s in im lifting more and ive put on 9lbs, and am heaviest ive ever been so happy enough with that.

Thursday

Squat
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    55kg x3
    70kg x2
    90kg x3x5

OH Press
    10kg x2x5
    15kg x5
    20kg x5
    25kg x4
    35kg x3x5

Power Clean
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3x5

decent enough, happy the squats are getting stronger but im really feeling them afterward, i need to rest more between exercises, and my legs do be tired all week. press felt stronger too, 35 felt really heavy last week, not too bad today, i really want to improve this though, i feel its my weakest lift. cleans are coming along, my technique is improving so thats all im after atm.

one negative is my lower back really aches when im working out lately, today is was fairly bad. i think im fairly weak in the core area. anyone got anything to say about this, could it be something more serious?

Saturday

Squats
    20kg x2x5
    40kg x5
    55kg x3
    70kg x2
    92.5kg x3x5

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x3x5

Deadlift
    40kg x2x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x3
    80kg x2
    105kg x5

felt good yesterday, up on everything, ive been holding back on the sqauts and deadlifts a little but im going to try increase every time now until i stall. i wanna change things soon enough, do some core work, hamstrings and back work. ill look at some other workouts over the next few weeks and see where to go from here.
    checked my weight too gone up to 10st 12lbs since tuesday, only thing im noticing get bigger is my belly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

fair play, looks like you are making good progress.....starting off at 50kg squats and now your on 92.5kg!

keep it up!

thanks, in fairness 50kg wasnt massively heavy its just a weight i thought id start at and be able for, but 92.5kg is still a big improvement for me, long may it continue.

Tuesday

weight:10st 9lbs again :(
    Squat
    20kg x5
    30kg x5
    45kg x5
    60kg x3
    75kg x2
    95kg x5,4,4

OH Press
    12kg x2x5 6kg dumbells
    20kg x2x5
    25kg x3
    30kg x2
    37.5kg x3x5

Power Clean
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    45kg x3x5

some ab work too-
    55x20 pulldowns and 15x? side bends

bit disappointed with my weight its gone from 10st 9 to 10st 12 back to 10st 9 in a week, i have to up the food intake. squats were a bit disappointing too, it felt so heavy today, i nearly missed the pin trying to rerack the bar. press was ok im really weak with these. enjoying the power cleans a bit more now that i kinda know what im doing, there were a few people doing them today too. did some ab work too. tried those standing pulldowns, nearly fell over.

Bigstar, when do you weigh yourself?

You should only weigh yourself once a week, same day every week. Also, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have emptied yourself!

eroo wrote: »
    Bigstar, when do you weigh yourself?

You should only weigh yourself once a week, same day every week. Also, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have emptied yourself!

i normally do it every tuesday in the gym after i work out. i just had a sneaky look on saturday, thought it was going up again. nope.

bigstar wrote: »
    i normally do it every tuesday in the gym after i work out. i just had a sneaky look on saturday, thought it was going up again. nope.

That's why your weight is fluctuating so much! Weigh yourself on Tuesday morning once you've emptied your bowels. Don't drink or eat anything, and weigh yourself in the nip! Repeat same time next weel.:)

• Advertisement

Thursday

Squats
    20kg x2x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x3
    80kg x2
    97.5kg x4,2

Bench
    20kg x2x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    62.5kg x5
    60kg x2x5

Deadlift
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    70kg x3
    90kg x2
    110kg x5

meh! squats were disappointing again so was the bench. even when i dropped to 60 it still felt really heavy, struggled for the last rep. legs felt awful squatting, just not up to it at all. on a more positive note deadlift felt great, form might have been off for the last rep but other than that felt great. i might try something different soon if my squat fails again. SS has been good but i want try some more exercises.

Advertisement