Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage stuffer....

• 22-02-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I am looking at getting a hand operated mincer to make sausages and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the attachment for stuffing the sausage. I am also looking for casing for the sausage if anyone can help there.

I am based in Westmeath and was hoping someone knew somewhere close!!!!

Thanks a million hope you all have an awesome day !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/mincers.html

This website sell both mincers with sausage stuffing attachments, and hog casings and all other ingredients to make sausages. Delivery to Ireland can be expensive so getting all your bits and pieces from them could make it cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 killerspec

Thanks a million for the info I placed an order and cant wait to get it. Today sausages tomorrow the world !!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Prawo Jazdy

Minder wrote: »
    http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/mincers.html

This website sell both mincers with sausage stuffing attachments, and hog casings and all other ingredients to make sausages. Delivery to Ireland can be expensive so getting all your bits and pieces from them could make it cost effective.

Great link. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Florida susan

I tried making sausages with my large electric mixer a while back, it was hard going even though the mincer attatchment is electric also, I think you will find it really tough trying to use a hand mincer, and also when you do try really cut down on the salt and make sure you really rinse the skins as they come delivered in salt, my 1st batch were inedible due to the salt on the skins:(

Did you mince the meat and stuff the sausages in the same day? I found that leaving the mixture overnight in the fridge makes it unworkable. As for skins, they should be soaked for a while in cold water before using (30 minutes) but also push the casing onto the tap and allow the water to run through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Florida susan

Yes I did it all the same day and even soaking the skins didnt seem to get all the salt out. My mixer is a KA which was made for the american market (but I bought the version for the UK market) and the meat grinder is quite strong with variable speeds

I tried making sausages with my large electric mixer a while back, it was hard going even though the mincer attatchment is electric also, I think you will find it really tough trying to use a hand mincer, and also when you do try really cut down on the salt and make sure you really rinse the skins as they come delivered in salt, my 1st batch were inedible due to the salt on the skins:(

Thanks Florida Susan for the info. I have worked with casing in the past and will be soaking them. When it comes down to mincing I know that the hand unit which I am going to be trying with is labour intensive. I am starting with manual machine but if all goes as plan I will upgrade at a later date to a good mincer machine and stuffer.

Ok Anyone got any ideas where I can aquire leather hide ???? Thanks a million for all the suggestions Susan and Minder and I hope you both have a kick ass week!!!!:cool:

Leather hide? That'll make a very tough saussie.

In what sort of quantities? printed, painted, dyed, nubuck, or skins with hair on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I tried making sausages with my large electric mixer a while back, it was hard going even though the mincer attatchment is electric also, I think you will find it really tough trying to use a hand mincer(

I've made them with a small hand mincer and I didn't find it tough. A little tedious and time-consuming perhaps (therapeutic though), but physically I had no problems.

:cool:
    Minder wrote: »
    Leather hide? That'll make a very tough saussie.

In what sort of quantities? printed, painted, dyed, nubuck, or skins with hair on?

I am looking for cow hide treated but not dyed. Quantities all depend on price as money is a little tight at the moment !!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement