Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lovely 3 hour power cut

Options
  • 22-02-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I'm sure most of you were in the same boat, but I was really enjoying it. A candle in the lounge, dining room and kitchen. The battery stereo radio tuned into Zenith Classic Rock FM, who I am surprised to hear are going off the air this week-end as their licence is running out and a glass or two of wine and lovely company, my wife.

According to ESB phone in it affected Callan, Kilkenny City and Gowran.

Very enjoyable. May try to 'have a power cut' every now and again. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

My lights started flickering alot and the house went dark for less than a second (no power cut)was wondering what was happening guess it was county wide.

Maybe ESB's way of protesting over Board Gais

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No 3-hour outage here, but the power went down for ~10 secs about 6 times this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

kleefarr wrote: »
    I'm sure most of you were in the same boat, but I was really enjoying it. A candle in the lounge, dining room and kitchen. The battery stereo radio tuned into Zenith Classic Rock FM, who I am surprised to hear are going off the air this week-end as their licence is running out and a glass or two of wine and lovely company, my wife.

According to ESB phone in it affected Callan, Kilkenny City and Gowran.

Very enjoyable. May try to 'have a power cut' every now and again. ;)
    I was the same!. The power gone about 2.30 - 3 hours here as well (clara,near gowran).

Spent the time playing guitar by candle light, good times :o.

Anyone know what the story was?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

it seemed to be the lintown/johnswell Rd./Eurospar area that lost power for 3 hours. I rang my friend who lives over by Lidil when I got bored of sitting in the dark and she had power, only the odd flicker of lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The power in my house didn't come on until 7:45 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miece

the whole john street side of town and out of action and everyone headed for high street. needless to say i couldnt get in anywhere and there was hundreds of people walking the street.

rumour has it some good for nothings started a fire at the main generator....

if its true they ruined a good nite out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

miece wrote: »

rumour has it some good for nothings started a fire at the main generator....

That wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is true.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Light flickered abit lastnight and went out for maybe 2-3 seconds where I'm living, I must get myself a battery/wind-up powered radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm on the Waterford road, and we had lights flicker and the street lights went completely. Took a drive around and traffic was chaotic over John street, where the traffic lights were out. Went over by the substation on O Loughlin road and the fire brigade were there with 3 appliances there, but no smoke or sign of a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Power was gone for a good 20 minutes here. It looked like everything north of the junction of the Castlecomer Road and Ballybough st was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Blackout lasted all night for me. I am near John Street and had a friend staying. We couldnt cook dinner obviously so headed into town... place was pitch black and quite eery.

We ended up going to an Indian restaurant on John street (cant remember name althougjh I walk past it all the time). Was bloody delicious. There were a good few people in there! After a while the lights came on but when we got home mine were still out. The water went as well (I went to get a glass of water at 4am and barely a drop came out). It was all back on when I woke at 8am though!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

on the Waterford road too, the lights flickered a few times but never lost power. the damn power supply in home PC blew but I think that may have happened friday evening.

Advertisement