Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shredder

Options
  • 22-02-2009 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has expierence with garden shredders. I need to get one for the large prune of the pine trees in my garden that are growing out of control. seeing as we now have a brown bin it seems a perfect way to dispose of the stuff. Is a cheap and cheerfull one adequate if the branches aren't too big. I saw one today in homebase for around €120 with a bigger size electric motor out put than a branded model at twice the price.Or would an electric one be a waste of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

My advice would be stay clear of basic DIY models, as they can be very limited in what they can actually do and can give endless trouble not to mention the amount of maintenance and blade sharpening required.

Probably better and more cost effective to hire for an annual prune/shred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My wife agree's with you Sonnenblumen, but as yet I've got one price for a hire job and that was €120 a day:eek:I'm sure there are cheaper hires out there,but it would want to be considerably cheaper for me not to just buy one for 120 and keep it,blocking up my wife's garden shed for most of year and annoying her, it just might be worth the hassle:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 redsquirrel

I would agree to stay away from the cheap electric ones as they will only deal with very small branches. Small petrol machines such as Jo-beau might be a little expensive for using one or two days a year but might be of interest. The other options are to hire or get the neighbourhood to gather up all of their waste branches and get a tree-surgeon in for a few hours with an industrial machine to clear everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've had a Moundfield 2200w shredder for the past 5 years. Purchased it ex-display from B&Q for around €150. It has been brilliant for most garden waste but can bind up with the small, lighter stuff ie. Leylandii. I find it excellent for branches up to approx 35mm dia. and have managed to clear an enormous amount of Ash & Spruce with it over the few years.
    I'd avoid the smaller electric ones yet avoid spending too much for something that gets used only a few times during the year. Perhaps hiring may be a better option. Another option is to fill a trailer and take it to a recycling centre for a small fee.

Advertisement