Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you like?

• 22-02-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Looking down at the lists of thread on this forum it's hard to see any dj that the posters of the boards radio section do like so please enlighten me who is your books is an actual good dj that you would never complain about on boards and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There are MANY dj's that posters here don't complain about. Its the few who are overpaid and overrated that get mentioned.
    Start a thread about someone YOU like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    There are MANY dj's that posters here don't complain about. Its the few who are overpaid and overrated that get mentioned.
    Start a thread about someone YOU like.

That wasn't the question asked! The question is what dj do you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I like Rick O'Shea, Tom Dunne and I think his name is Paul Clune?? He took over TD's slot on Today FM.

I also really like Dave Fanning's show on Radio 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I dig 'The Business' on Sunday mornings R1. Also the Saturday guy on NT, good treatment of current affairs. John Bowman of course. These are not DJs but radio presenters. I personally don't usually listen to radio for music, that's not what it's about, primarily, for me. But for music 'The Blue of the Night' or JK ensemble on Lyric is always worth a listen and the 'Reels to Ragga' dude on the same station, but it's so long since I listened on a Sunday that am not even sure it's still running. Was/is excellent though.

They got rid of Vincent Browne off R1 and that was a travesty. Love him or hate him it was always entertaining, especially the tribunals re-enactments, fantastic public service broadcasting. And he was the only presenter who challenged the popular concensus in my view.

Tubridy/Ryan/Dunne/Fanning are at best bland and banal beyond reason an at worst, in the case of Ryan, offensively ignorant and preposterously pompous and just plain vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Annie Mac
    Chris Evans
    Ken Bruce
    Annie Nightingale
    Steve Wright
    Danny Baker
    Janice Long
    Richard Bacon
    Wogan (sometimes)

Loads more too .........

John Peel was my fave, but since his untimely demise I would have to say 'all of the above' for various reasons including their wit, playlists, personalities, humour, creativity, but I wouldn't like to pick out one DJ/presenter in particular, I like them for all of the above reasons, apart from Wogan (sometimes) :))

If John Peel was still with us, I would just choose Him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

petals wrote: »
    Looking down at the lists of thread on this forum it's hard to see any dj that the posters of the boards radio section do like so please enlighten me who is your books is an actual good dj that you would never complain about on boards and why?

Why not throw a few names in yourself Petals?

I can't answer as although I like loads I don't think that there is one that is infalable and I'd 'never' complain about. I don't speak Irish but like a lot of the dj's on Radio na Life but can't understand what part is their name. Gerry Ryan is funny but I also want to jam him in a door sometimes. PKenny can be excellent. The Off the Ball lot entertain me (although I like hurling and they don't cover that in such a humorous way as I'd like). Rachael English...top notch and my own fav is Aine Lawlor.
    Nearfm on a Tuesday has 2 excellent shows running 'til 11ish and they are really outstanding in their knowledge and presentation. I really liked Mark Lamarr when he was on BBC2. J. Ross- superb.
    Terry Wogan...warm buttery toast and the closest I'd get to not saying a bad word about and in Ireland it is without doubt John Kelly. A lucky, lucky people to have him amongst us although I can't for the life of me understand the hour he goes out at. But skilled and silky. I'm a straight bloke but I'd consider sleeping with JK.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I dig 'The Business' on Sunday mornings R1.

There was one of the funniest sketches on Irish radio that I've heard in a long time on this morning. It was based around dodgy email scams from Nigeria. Deft, clever and most importantly...bloody funny.

humberklog wrote: »
    Why not throw a few names in yourself Petals?

My list of Favourites:
    Andy Clarke
    Dave O'Connor
    Joe and Keith ex Spin
    James Davids
    Dermot, Dave and Siobhan 98
    Dave Harrington Q-- loved the Dave and Bronagh combination they had on east coast!
    Rick O'Shea
    Nikki Hayes
    Dave Redmond
    and of course Larry Gogan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

humberklog wrote: »
    There was one of the funniest sketches on Irish radio that I've heard in a long time on this morning. It was based around dodgy email scams from Nigeria. Deft, clever and most importantly...bloody funny.

Yep. I caught that one alright, I particularly liked the preamble, when they asked the scamster to send the 'winnings' to 'my friend' Brian Lenihan 'cos he really really needs the money. That's the thing about this show, mixes a healthy dose of cynicism with solid analysis, and the billshut detector is in fully functioning order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

My Favourites:

Chris Moyles,- best show on the radio, ledgend of broadcasting
    Richard Bacon,- very sharp wit and a great listen at night
    Andy Mc Closkey (Beat), one of the best irish djs in my opinion
    Tony Fenton, cheesy in a good way, definetly still room for big tony in the radio market
    Zane Lowe-plays great tunes, and his enthusiasim really rubs off on you
    Damian Farrelly-good all rounder
    Tubridy during his 2fm years, full irish show was hilarious
    Larry Gogan-great easy listening
    Aidan Leonard-his sunday evening show always has good tunes and plenty of imformitive stuff on the sunday drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

My list of Favourites:
    Andy Clarke
    Dave O'Connor
    Joe and Keith ex Spin
    James Davids
    Dermot, Dave and Siobhan 98
    Dave Harrington Q-- loved the Dave and Bronagh combination they had on east coast!
    Rick O'Shea
    Nikki Hayes
    Dave Redmond
    and of course Larry Gogan!

see this thread is kinda pointless without one key question:

WHY?

how about you take your list, and pick your favourite and try to summarise what it is you like about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm saying that with my user hat, btw, not my mod hat. You don't have to if you don't want to, but you see my point?

Now see my favourite, without question, was the late John Peel, in common with many others. On the music front, he played a load of new music I had never heard before - a lot of which I've never heard of on the radio since - and it was so obvious he was a genuine music fan - not just someone playing CD's. On the talk front, he was probably the best radio presenter of that genre I've ever heard. He was at home instantly with whatever guest he had on and interviews always felt like you were overhearing a conversation in a pub. He had brilliant sense of humour, and he never patronised his guests or his listeners. Just a genuinely decent chap, and probably the only "celebrity" I've ever truly, genuinely mourned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

From the radio stations I can pick up here, Radio 1 is my favourite. I like John Murray on Morning Ireland and on Sunday Business. He has a sense of humour and a great knowledge of current affairs. I also like Keelin Shanley when she takes over on Drivetime. She's a much better interviewer, and seems to have a better working knowledge of the issues than Mary does. I also love Marian Finucane at the weekends. It can be a tad rushed at times, and she could ask better questions with some of her guests (ie Mr Cowan) but overall, she is an entertaining presenter with a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Donal Dineen - just cos he plays great music & his delivery, in its enthusiasm and occasional clumsiness, is ideal for the time of morning he's on at (midnight to 2).

Paul McLoone - a bit rough round the edges too but I think that adds to the charm of the show, great music also.

John Kelly - didn't catch much of his former show on Radio 1 as it was dropped not long after i discovered it, but what I heard was at times superb listening. Haven't heard any of his shows on Lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dennyboy22

I mostly listen to either 2fm, Today fm, or Corks redfm. But am constantly changing station, depends whos presenting.

Kc and Lenny in the morning for Red. Funny

Then Darcey on todayfm easy to listen, no thinking involved!

The new girl on 2fm ( NOT RUTH SCOTT:mad:) in the evenings is alright too.

Dont mind Joe Duffy either, depends wat hes on about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

tbh, with your user hat on you sound like your trying to start an arguement. Why not just leave it to Petals. They are her favourites. Then for once we can have a thread on radio without it decending into chaos.

Personally, a few of my favourites.

Mo Dutta - BBC 2. When he was doing overnights. So easy to listen to and a smooth voice.

Paul Burnett - from the Luxembourg days. One of the reasons I wanted to get into the business was listening to his show.

Bill Scott - used to be a regular contributor to the Gay Byrne Show, then had his own show on a combination of Horizon/Easy 103/East Coast. A former british policeman who had a wealth of information

Finally, Gay Byrne - He made it all flow so well, circa late 80s/early 90s. After that he seemed to lose it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

John Kelly-loves his music,great delivery.The day Johnny Cash died he had his radio one show and just played all the great Johnny Cash stuff.Said he only planned to play a few tracks but people kept ringing and emailing to say keep it going.Great stuff.

tbh is you don't like it you don't have to comment! Just saying!
    If you really want reasons though:

I like the styles of the shows the people I mentioned present!
    Pinpointing a few random things that come to mind of some of the presneters I mentioned Andy Clarke I like the way he never ignores a request...this is important to me as I think that one way people use radio is for company and if people take the time to text then it shouldn't be ignored if the presenter has the time to read it... I do understand why some don't though so I'm not slighting anyone that doesn't read all the texts!
    On 98 love the toll trolls! Loved Dave and Bronagh in the mornings and likewise with the other morning groups mentioned for their humour! With Nikki Hayes her style of presenting is very girl next door!
    Dave Redmond is just a great presenter his links seem well thought out, humourous again and delivered well with great timing and Larry Gogan well now if he's been on radio for that length there's got to be a reason! Anyone I mentioned I think are good presenters and it's my opinion!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Seriously Petals, what's with the attitude?

In your first post in this thread you ask people:
    who is your books is an actual good dj that you would never complain about on boards and why?

Then when you gave your own list of favourites you didn't bother to do what you wanted everyone else to do. There is no point in just listing people without giving a reason, this is a discussion forum. You can't discuss people's choices if they don't give a reason for their choices.

tbh made his comments in order to get to get you to expand on your choices so that they could be discussed, as per your own OP.

Oh and I do have my mod hat on!

I'll post what way I want! It's up to me whether or not I want to list or give reasons not you not the pair of you mods or users get over it! There is a massively ignorant and negative attitude on this board I was trying and quite obviously failing to bring a bit of something positive to it but it doesn't matter what I post you people find fault with it so I'm off to some other board where I'm not bitched at for everything I post! Ye are worst than spoiled children on this! Farewell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hamish Blake and Andy Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I'll post what way I want! It's up to me whether or not I want to list or give reasons not you not the pair of you mods or users get over it!

You asked everyone for reasons, then failed to give any yourself. It's hardly unfair for another user to point this out, is it? I think you're over-reacting a little to be honest.
    There is a massively ignorant and negative attitude on this board I was trying and quite obviously failing to bring a bit of something positive to it but it doesn't matter what I post you people find fault with it so I'm off to some other board where I'm not bitched at for everything I post! Ye are worst than spoiled children on this! Farewell!

Way to get everyone onside! Call them names and tell them to "get over it" ! Very positive.
    You really shouldn't post when you're angry. It is a discussion board after all, if everyone agreed with everyone else, it'd be pretty pointless. The key is to keep your opinions, but learn to take criticism in your stride.

Keep your cool & debate your points coherently and people will respect you.
    Have a childish hissy fit or flame rampage or send indignant swear filled private messages whenever someone disagrees with you, and they will not.

Your response to disagreement, however, smacks a little of "Everyone disagrees with me, therefore I'm the only one who isn't stupid."

Maybe you're right, and everyone who disagrees with you on every subject IS ignorant, but I doubt it. Perhaps you should step back from what you're saying occasionally and realise that sometimes people disagree with you because they think they have good reason?

For what it's worth:

John Peel , for his laconic humour and encyclopaedic knowledge of music,
    John Kelly, for a Hibernian version of the above, and
    Dave Fanning, cos the man kno his stuff & just dont give a damn.

Simon Young , despite me not sharing his taste in dance music, made me laugh when he was on mainstream radio.

They're my favourites, and why.

Petals has been banned from the Radio forum for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sputnik101

Petals has been banned from the Radio forum for the foreseeable future.

By the look of what she wrote above she won't be begging you to come back. She did kind of say she wasn't going to be posting again lol

Leaderboard you know just because you think you have a good reason to disagree with someone does not mean that you're right either ;) Just saying.

For the topic personally my favourites would be Brian McColl and Rick O'Shea they're both great presenters and know a great deal about the job they're in.

No more discussion of moderation decisions on the thread please. If you have any queries you can PM one of the moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

I've always enjoyed Ray D'Arcy, to me, he's totally straight-talking and down-to-earth.

And the other DJ I enjoy is Dave Fanning. Another straight-talking man, when it comes to music.

Advertisement