Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi すし

Options
  • 22-02-2009 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Aya off wicklow street is now closed :/

This upsets me greatly. Is there anywhere else in the city-center that does good take-away sushi, cheap if possible. Yamamori? Or any other conveyer belt places?

Apparently it was "partly due to the economic climate". Around 4 other people were reading the sign at the same time as me, seemed popular enough :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

greyed wrote: »
    Aya off wicklow street is now closed :/

This upsets me greatly. Is there anywhere else in the city-center that does good take-away sushi, cheap if possible. Yamamori? Or any other conveyer belt places?

Apparently it was "partly due to the economic climate". Around 4 other people were reading the sign at the same time as me, seemed popular enough :(

Something about this smells fishy!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Thats sad! I always thought they were expensive anyways... It' was popular with the BT crowd...
    There's a sushi place in Dundrum, that might be out of your way...
    Yamamori is the only place now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

There's one on the quays, near the Prava bar side of the H'penny Bridge.

Thats the better yamamori ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Read this in the Herald during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There's a small takeaway place called Sushi King on Baggot St Lower, opposite the AIB bank, they seem to close at 5/6PM though, so only good for lunch. Being where they are i'm not sure if they open on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sushi King is great for lunch. I know that there's a sushi place (Michie Sushi) in Ranelagh, but I haven't tried there yet.

Some of the Korean restaurants in town do Korean and Japanese sushi and I've also had sushi at the Tippenyaki Grill in Rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Thats the better yamamori ;)

*takes note* ;)

I've never been to Yamamori, only Aya a few times. I found it to be nice but a bit expensive.

I've been meaning to check out Sushi King as I work nearby, I might check it out this week. :)

Dord wrote: »
    *takes note* ;)

I've never been to Yamamori, only Aya a few times. I found it to be nice but a bit expensive.

I've been meaning to check out Sushi King as I work nearby, I might check it out this week. :)
    Keep us posted!

I love yamamori! I go there once a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Thanks for the info all, depressing article :/

I wonder is aya in sandyford is still open? Always preferred aya to yo tbh ...waayy too much fish eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

another vote for michiesushi. delicious!!!

there's also yo thai in donnybrook (over kiely's) which has a great sushi bar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Theres a Japanese restaurant in Castleknock village.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I know nothing about sushi so bare that in mind when I mention I've seen packaged sushi in spar on barrow street and hanover st east.

Easy there,I'm only sharing the knowledge, no abuse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I think the ones from marks and spark are alright. Yamos are nice too.

heymcflyx wrote: »
    I think the ones from marks and spark are alright. Yamos are nice too.
    I hate those ones... arghhhh
    They aren't expensive but nothing like the real one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Theres a place in the pavillions in swords - but outta your way though. yo sushi i thinks its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Glad to report back that the sushi in Sushi King is nice! :cool:

Just eating some of it now for lunch. It's very fresh, prices aren't too bad either. I got the "Salmon of Knowledge" selection which has 8 pieces of different sushi with salmon. It came in at around €7 and some change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

michiesushi is really good..its more a take out place (they deliver) altho there is one table in there if you wanted to eat in. The sushi is good, always tastes fresh and i also recommend the seaweed salad. Spoke to the chef there before, nice guy and seems to be really passionate about it.

Been to yo sushi in dundrum , and wasnt impressed. Its a conveyor type place and maybe we were in at a bad time, but it wasnt fresh. Some of the sushi was slightly warm so mustve been there a while. Ive never been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

+1 for michiesushi. Delicious. Even the California rolls which I normally look down my nose at (not real sushi, etc.) is A1.

• Advertisement

Aya will be Yo sushi soon. If its better than their dundrum one, then deadly!

Tried sushi king, was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

+1 for making your own.

try Tesco in the Merrion Centre by Vincent's Hospital. The Japanese Embassy is upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rainny

Sushi king opened a branch on Dawson street last week. Not sure of prices or quality as I have not been in yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

greyed wrote: »
    Aya will be Yo sushi soon. If its better than their dundrum one, then deadly!

Tried sushi king, was very good.

I noticed that. Is it the same owners?

Aya was shut down TWICE by the healthy enviroment checking people(whatever they're called).
    Once is enough to be off my books forever but twice is a shocker for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Go to the Asia Market on Drury St, if you're in Dublin. If you're in Cork, there's a place in the English market with sushi rice, nori, wasabi, rolling mats etc. It's all rather easy. I think there's an asian supermarket in Limerick too, if you're around those parts.

No idea about the owners of yo, phew, I didnt know it was shut down twice ...though, my books dont change if its nearby or cheap :pac:

Hheh, I think id be too lazy to make my own, or lack the skills, ill probably just check out sushi king dawson st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

The health food shop in the Swan Shopping Centre in Rathmines have a window display of all the bits and bobs at the moment - they have the rice, vinegar, ginger, wasabi, seaweed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Sushi King on Dawson St is owned by the same people as Baggot St - definitely my favourite sushi in Dublin - very fresh. Think Dawson St is open till 8pm so can get some for dinner after work as well :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are out in Tyrrellstown there is the aurora restaurant there and they do excellent sushi. They have a take away also but I never looked at the menu so not sure if sushi is on it. The castleknock one does I know that one well.

Also I noticed a Japanese restaurant out in Ballsbridge near the RDS recently.

Make your own, its not difficult so its just a matter of getting the ingredients like fresh tuna etc.

Advertisement