Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My (re)discovery of this week... Anathema!

• 22-02-2009 7:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who knows me would know that i am (flame guard up!) a U2 fan, so what the hell does this have to do with Anathema then?!

The new U2 was leaked all over the net for all and sundry to download, and of course, i had no problem doing this (bought every other album, so will complete the set on release date anyway), and listened to it. To be kind to the album, let's just say it didn't impress me.

I needed to seek refuge, and fast! On a journey through town, i stumbled a poster for the Anathema gig, and it had dawned on me, i had heard of this band for so many years and not heard one song. Not one!

Well let's just say I've been listening to them since about midnight now and it's now 6am. And i may very well grab a ticket for this gig at the end of the month. Not too sure if i can still listen to the doom metal era Anathema, but definitely enjoying the stuff from Eternity onwards.

So folks, Anathema? Love em? Hate em? Couldn't care for em?
    Discuss :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

They're freaking awesome. Get 'A Fine Day to Exit', then 'Alternative 4', then 'Judgement', then 'A Natural Disaster'. Their old doom stuff is also worth a look, i.e. The Silen Enigma. Incredible band, and the gig oughta be excellent next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

They're good enough. I should be at the gig next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

There is a copy of one of their albums that was left in my car by a guy once a i find it can be a real good listen driving at the dead of night. dont even know the name of it. if i was to get one album what would be recomended??
    ( oh and off topic new u2 album is v. good imo :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

if i was to get one album what would be recomended??

That really depends on your taste, their stuff up until 1996 is verrrrry dark, so if you live in an alcove in Bruxelles, then it's for you.

Personally, i started with Judgement, worked my way forwards from there, and then backwards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Anyone who knows me would know that i am (flame guard up!) a U2 fan, so what the hell does this have to do with Anathema then?!

The new U2 was leaked all over the net for all and sundry to download, and of course, i had no problem doing this (bought every other album, so will complete the set on release date anyway), and listened to it. To be kind to the album, let's just say it didn't impress me.

I needed to seek refuge, and fast! On a journey through town, i stumbled a poster for the Anathema gig, and it had dawned on me, i had heard of this band for so many years and not heard one song. Not one!

Well let's just say I've been listening to them since about midnight now and it's now 6am. And i may very well grab a ticket for this gig at the end of the month. Not too sure if i can still listen to the doom metal era Anathema, but definitely enjoying the stuff from Eternity onwards.

So folks, Anathema? Love em? Hate em? Couldn't care for em?
    Discuss :)

They re such a great band.Im always trying to get people to give em a go

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Excellent band and can't wait for the show on Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Contemplating going to this, they've some amount of material to play for 20 euro at the door.

Works for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Great band.A Natural Disaster is my personal fave album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I like all their stuff. Though, if i had to pick a favourite album it would be Judgement. Do they play any material from Crestfallen live these days?

Advertisement