Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's

Options
  • 22-02-2009 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

could someone please tell me does a person need some special qualification, background etc to run to become a TD or could the village idiot put his name down as a candidate and if got enough votes then become the TD for that region?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well firstly you need the family name ;)

Information
    In order to be nominated for membership of the Dáil, you may either nominate yourself or a Dáil elector may nominate you.

Rules
    You must complete a "nomination paper" and present it to the returning officer of the constituency in which you are standing. It is possible to be nominated as a candidate in more than one constituency and you don't necessarily have to be living in a constituency to be nominated. If you wish, you may state your party affiliation on your nomination paper. You may also submit a photograph and/or a political party emblem to appear on the ballot paper.

The returning officer must decide on the validity of your nomination paper within one hour after it is presented to him or her. He or she will object to your name (or description) if:

it is not the name by which you are commonly known
    it is misleading or likely to cause confusion
    it is unnecessarily long or
    it contains a political reference.
    You must change the particulars on the nomination paper if the returning officer raises an objection. The returning officer must hold that your nomination paper is valid if it is properly filled out and signed.

As a candidate at a Dáil election, you are entitled to send one election letter free of postage charge to every elector in the constituency. If you are a member of a political party with another candidate in the constituency, you will only be allowed one election letter free of postage charge between you.

You must submit your nomination paper to the returning officer for your constituency by 12 noon on the 7th day after the issue of the writ by the Dáil to the returning officer.

There is no longer a requirement to pay a deposit to be nominated for membership of the Dáil. However, candidates must either produce a Certificate of Party Affiliation or a document containing 30 signatures of registered voters.

If you wish to supply a photograph or a party emblem, it must meet certain requirements regarding shape and size. If you do not supply a photograph and/or emblem, the space or spaces provided on the ballot paper will be left blank.

To withdraw your nomination, you must inform the returning officer in writing at any time up to 12 noon on the 7th day after the issue of the writ by the Dáil to the returning officer.

Rates
    There is no charge for applying for nomination for membership of Dáil Eireann.

How to apply
    You must apply to the returning officer for your constituency who is either the County Sheriff or the County Registrar. Contact information for the returning officer for your constituency is available from the Franchise Section of your local authority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

could someone please tell me does a person need some special qualification, background etc to run to become a TD or could the village idiot put his name down as a candidate and if got enough votes then become the TD for that region?
    If you are in Fianna Gael/Fine Fáil then you give out brown envelopes until the party decides you can become a TD and then when you are a TD you colect the brown envelops give some to the party and keep the rest for yourself. You also must screw the ordinary taxpayer all of the time whether itis necessary or not.
    So in essence if you are the Fianna Gael/Fine Fáil village idiot then your the man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

If your FF or FG and you are the village cute hoor then your in. It helps to have the right family name and bonus points if you are a publican and/or involved in land/property development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

thanks for the replies but judging by them, YES the village idiot can become a TD. well that settles it im running in the next election, i can waste peoples money and make a balls of things as well as the next person. whos with me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

thanks for the replies but judging by them, YES the village idiot can become a TD. well that settles it im running in the next election, i can waste peoples money and make a balls of things as well as the next person. whos with me!!!!

Im trying to get planning for a monstrous and vulgar house in the middle of the Burren so will you take cash or a cheque when you get in Johnny?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Are you sure that you are not a TD already and just have forgotten because brown envelopes stuffed with cash have dried up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Caoimhin, i take cash, cheques and all major credit cards, il even take a good dinner as a bribe...although i dont wanna price myself outa the market with that last one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

TOP OF POLLS JOHNNY !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Article 16.1.1 of the constitution says
    "Every citizen without distinction of sex who has reached the age of twenty-one years, and who is not placed under disability or incapacity by this Constitution or by law, shall be eligible for membership of Dáil Éireann."

Would you care to propose an alternative? Maybe we should go back to the days when only men over 30 that were property-owners could enter parliament. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

Most TD's are the village idiot:D

• Advertisement

You'd have my vote..
    (although you probably wouldn't..different constituency and all that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

If you had taken the time to examine the quality of our TD's you could have answered the question yourself. Not only can the Village idiot run for election but in the majority of instances they do. Particularly if they are members of Feel & Fall.

Examples Ned "The Tongue " O Keefe
    Mickilin Martin
    Mary Coughlan
    Bev
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This is an example of how a dynastic Kerry FF TD handles an unexpected crisis. He obviously couldn't bullsh1t his way out of it, so got the evil eye.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/angry-protest-outside-macs-clinic-1643397.html

THERE were angry scenes at the Tralee clinic of Kerry North Fianna Fáil Deputy Tom McEllistrim on Saturday as over 250 public servants gathered to voice their anger over the government's public sector pension levy.
    Members of civil service trade unions Impact, the INO, the INTO and the TUI gathered outside Deputy McEllistrim's clinic at the Horan Centre, Tralee, at noon and demanded that the Kerry North government deputy explain his position on the levy.
    After 45 minutes, and five requests from union representatives, he agreed to address the crowd only to be met with a furious reaction.
    Deputy McEllistrim's impromptu speech, during which he declined to answer questions on how he planned to vote when the levy came before the Dáil, was greeted with boos and catcalls.
    Onlookers said Deputy McEllistrim looked visibly shaken as he concluded his address and returned to his clinic offices where he later met individually with several people who had been part of the protest.
    Teddy Foley, of Impact, said there was a lot of anger at the protest: "People were very, very annoyed and it got pretty heated. There was a point when the whole crowd nearly stormed up the stairs," he said. "His attitude is what infuriated people. He's our elected representative and people just wanted to hear what he had to say," Teddy Foley said.
    The Kerryman was unable to contact Deputy McEllistrim for comment as the paper went to print.

Advertisement