Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article] Time for an extra pie and pee

• 22-02-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From Guardian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/22/fifa-half-time-extension
    Several changes will be discussed in Northern Ireland next weekend at a meeting of football's law-making body, the International Football Association Board. The most controversial of these is the addition of five minutes to the half-time break. The proposal for a 20-minute interval has been put forward by Fifa, the world governing body, who say they are concerned that players and referees have no time for rest at some stadiums after walking to the dressing room.

There is, however, another consideration. Sponsorship analysts have calculated ITV's advertising take at the last World Cup to have been at least £300,000 a minute, rising to £1m for England games. The scope for Fifa to generate additional revenue from the extra five minutes is clear, especially as the next World Cup, in South Africa in 2010, will take place in a time zone suited to football's most developed broadcast markets: the UK, Spain, Italy, France and Germany.

Fifa's contention that it is taking footballers "much of the current 15-minute half-time interval" to get to and from their dressing rooms was rejected as "nonsense" by Malcolm Clarke, chair of the Football Supporters' Federation.

"If it is primarily for commercial reasons most supporters will be against it," he said. "It used to be 10 minutes years ago, then 15. Where will it end?"

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This would be totally for advertising reasons as far as I'm concerned

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Agreed. If there's a problem with players getting to/from the dressing rooms they should be looking at stadium design, not prolonging the half time break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If they cant reach the dressing room in a respectable time then they should do a "Phil Brown" and give the lads a bolloxing right on the pitch. Best piece of management I have seen this season althought they still got well beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it would encourage defensive football. If it was just for commerical purposes, I could live with it. But it would allow defensive teams to get more rest and be able to put 11 high pressure behind the ball for longer, as such, I'd really dislike it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Daft idea completely for commercial purposes. Especially when a lot of managers think the half time break is too long atm e.g. Arsene Wenger. FIFA have more than likly concocted this plan themselves for more money without asking the top professionals their opinion on it. More Blatter bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boourns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In the NFL, halftime is only 12 minutes and you've the best part of 100 players needing to get back to a dressing room which are usually buried at the back of the stands.

Solution?
    They run...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Neil3030 wrote: »
    In the NFL, halftime is only 12 minutes and you've the best part of 100 players needing to get back to a dressing room which are usually buried at the back of the stands.

Solution?
    They run...:rolleyes:

in fairness, in the NFL they do next to no running during play, so may as well do a bit of running during halftime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Neil3030 wrote: »
    In the NFL, halftime is only 12 minutes

Except the superbowl when they stop for 2 hours to have a concert. :D

CL final half-time live aid concert anyone?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yep, if an extra ten 30 second ads can be squeezed in at £300,000 to £1,000,000 a minute then why not give the players and referees more rest time? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

When i'm at a match, i always find the 15 minutes at half time drag. 20 minutes would be even worse. It seems they're only doing it for financial reasons and citing the time it takes the players to get to the dressing room as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

3 and a half minutes more of Dunphy, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

When i'm at a match, i always find the 15 minutes at half time drag. 20 minutes would be even worse. It seems they're only doing it for financial reasons and citing the time it takes the players to get to the dressing room as an excuse.
    Agreed. A stupid, TV-led idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

As a supporter I'd be all in favour of an extra five minutes drinking time at half time.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

redout wrote: »
    If they cant reach the dressing room in a respectable time then they should do a "Phil Brown" .

Extra 5 mins gives you more time to have a Phil Brown.

*gets coat*

Jesus I wish Blatter would **** off and retire.

Advertisement