Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For Garden Shed

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Have been looking for a wooden garden shed around 10' x 8' approx. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced ones available in the Dublin area(or deliverable to Dublin)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Have you tried Argos? They deliver, but they don't put it together for you.

They were the cheapest that we could find in the end though (checked Woodies, B'n'Q, Homebase and smaller outlets).

Oh, Wicklow seems to be shed country aswell. If you're ever driving down on the N11, just after Bray and Greystones, there are a couple of garden centres and shed places.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

It seems the cheapest in Argos is €539 for a 10' x 8'. Roof doesn't look too great though. Might try and contact some of those Wicklow places for quotes.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

christo82 wrote: »
    It seems the cheapest in Argos is €539 for a 10' x 8'. Roof doesn't look too great though. Might try and contact some of those Wicklow places for quotes.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.abwood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

sheds eh? i have to say im the proud owner of a new rustic shed 8 x10 . just got it 2 weeks ago. well chuffed and pleased with it. Dont know why i didnt get one before. its been great storing all the stuff in it instead of the greenhouse.

i paid 660 and had it delivered and erected in me garden. a load of room inside, very strong by the looks. delighted :D

ballyfree, wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

What do i need to be mindful of when erecting a shed... Should there be some minor form of foundation or just built up on a few blocks to prevent damp coming through?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

obviously a level ground, and depending on size, about 8-10 4" blocks to sit it on, . can be levelled with short pieces of flat timber. maybe leave some provision for power, if your considering putting in a light and sockets. most companies supply and erect service is included in the price you pay for the shed. did i say my shed rocks?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ideally the ground prep for a quality shed would involve removing soil (approx 100mm/4") and backfill area with hardcore and compact. Support boards supplied with budget sheds tend to be untreated and will rot in time when placed on 4" solid blocks lying on damp ground. The blocks can potentially absorb ground dampness which will seap upwards into boards.

To prevent this happening simply place a piece of felt on each block and the felt will effectively provide a moisture barrier for the supporting boards (PT or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ideally the ground prep for a quality shed would involve removing soil (approx 100mm/4") and backfill area with hardcore and compact. Support boards supplied with budget sheds tend to be untreated and will rot in time when placed on 4" solid blocks lying on damp ground. The blocks can potentially absorb ground dampness which will seap upwards into boards.

To prevent this happening simply place a piece of felt on each block and the felt will effectively provide a moisture barrier for the supporting boards (PT or not).

I wouldn't count on felt as an effective damp proof course - a proper DPM would cost the same or less & would do the job a lot better.

As for bargains on the shed front - I got an 8x10 rustic shed with a metal roof, delivered & erected for €550 last week. Sligo's a great place for the bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I wouldn't count on felt as an effective damp proof course - a proper DPM would cost the same or less & would do the job a lot better.

As for bargains on the shed front - I got an 8x10 rustic shed with a metal roof, delivered & erected for €550 last week. Sligo's a great place for the bargains!

What's the name of the business, and do they deliver around the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

christo82 wrote: »
    What's the name of the business, and do they deliver around the country?

MCTwoodproducts.com

I don't know how far they'd go to deliver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement