Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pubs that up the prices after a certain time. name and shame

• 22-02-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I hope this post is legal, and if not, mods please just let me know and delete it.

I just had to vent. Last week i went to see a good blues band on sunday evening in Bruxelles. I was impressed with the place, good music, nice atmosphere. so me and my mates decided to go back this weekend.

Again we were enjoying the tunes the atmosphere and the beer. pints were 5.40. steep but standard enough for Dublin. then i got my first round after 11:30. I handed the bar lady the correct amount, but she said i was short. Turns out after 11:30 pint prices go up to 6 euro!!!

My seat didnt get comfier, the music didnt get better, the air didnt get cleaner, nothing at all changed to warrant the price incresase.

We finished our beers and left. and we wont be back. they lost 5 customers for the forseeable future.

Why dont pubs see that just milking customers for all their worth, instead of valuing them will loose them business.

My mates and I would have been back to bruxelles every week or two if they had been decent, but no, they ruined that, and lost any money from us. problem is the masses will just shrug off the price hike and keep drinking. thats why ireland is in such a state, we allow ourselves to be exploited.

I know some folks will say its only 60c, but 60c in a round of 5 beers is 3 quid. 3 rounds that equals 9 quid!!! and theres also the principle of the thing.

anyway, i want people to name and shame other pubs that do the same thing, so we are all wiser as to where to drink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

sorry mods, if you think this would fit better in the beer and drink forum, or anywhere else, please dont hesitate to move it. thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As far as I know, that's standard in late bars. I believe their late licence costs a significant amount extra per night, and they generally put the prices up at 11.30/12 to cover that.

Still, €6 for a pint. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Faith wrote: »
    As far as I know, that's standard in late bars. I believe their late licence costs a significant amount extra per night, and they generally put the prices up at 11.30/12 to cover that.

Still, €6 for a pint. Wow.

Yes, it's a pain but it's the same in all late pubs in the city centre as far as I know, so bar boycotting all of them the practice isn't going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yes, It is a few hundred quid (400 or 500) a night for a late license. If they don't charge a cover I have no problem paying an extra 50c a pint, If i am allowed to drink until 02.30. It balances out as drink in Nightclubs is usually that bit more expensive than the bars anyway, and you generally have to pay a tenner into them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I was at krystle/dicey rileys a while ago for a work thing and their pint prices went up to 6 euro at 8! Not a pint drinker myself but the colleagues were fairly shocked and disgusted about it. I left early but they said prices went up again about 10 and people at that time were paying into the place as well. I don't think there should be a drink price increase if you're paying in and 8 is not a late night in the slightest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I remember I had e5.40 myself in Bruxelles on a Sunday and my jaw dropped when they said e6.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Yes, It is a few hundred quid (400 or 500) a night for a late license.

Yep, €440 per night for exemptions. You apply in court for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 curlylocks

Was out on Sunday afternoon in the Sands Hotel, Portmarnock and noticed their price list - prices go up after 7pm. A pint bottle of cider (my preference) goes from 5 to 6.50!!! I also noticed that a can of red bull goes from 2.50 to 4!!! Think it's an absolute disgrace and it really put me off going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I guess the awnser to you all is to stay at home and hire a Blues band, hire someone to serve you, hire someone to clean up after you, buy ice, a music system, lights, etc etc and try and buy some atmosphere.
    Other than that head out and have a few pints and enjoy yourself and be entertained for a few hours for 20 quid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I guess the awnser to you all is to stay at home and hire a Blues band, hire someone to serve you, hire someone to clean up after you, buy ice, a music system, lights, etc etc and try and buy some atmosphere.
    Other than that head out and have a few pints and enjoy yourself and be entertained for a few hours for 20 quid....

Or hook your MP3 player up to a set of speakers, call some mates around, and have a few cans. Clean up yourself afterwards. No bouncer at the door being intimating, no chap in the jacks offering me a spray of aftershave. Total cost €10.

Pub has gone from a weekly occurrence to a special occasion thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't have any problem with it.

Pubs can charge €100 a pint if there's a full moon, or €20 a coke if you're wearing a blue shirt. That's their choice.

If I choose to pay these prices and give them my custom, well that's my choice.

No one forces me to drink in a particular pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

While I understand bars putting up prices to pay late license fees, putting prices up at 7 or 8 o clock is ridiculous. The only thing to do in this circumstance is to leave the pub, and buy your drink in another pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Funny saw the title of the thread and was going to start complaining about Bruxelles, its a bar I would go to apart from it does that (from such already high prices) we were talking to a guy outside years ago and he said that back in the day when they used to stay open late they had to have a kitchen running so you could buy awful curry chips.
    anyway their a bunch of bstrds and hopefully they realise that they would make more money if they had people drinking faster because when you pay 6+ for a pint you try and get your moneys worth out of it

Advertisement