Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 95 was grease proof!

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

From the very first fight last night I noticed the UFC have clamped down on any contact with the fighter before the fight and in between rounds that might lead to accusations of greasing.

Paulo Thiago walked up to the Harley Davidson prep point and stripped off his clothes and was told that any hugging of his team was to be done now. After he hugged his team he was vaselined up and then felt up by the referee. Then he was not supposed to be touched by anyone after that as he entered the cage.

After the first round of the Marquart v Gouveia fight Wilson Gouveia sat in his corner and the corner man put water on the back of his neck. The official standing right beside him said "You got to keep him dry boys, keep him dry."

It was the same for every other fighter aswell. They were watched very intently throughout the whole night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Yeah Stitch Duran said the officials met before the last UFN and came up with new protocols for their duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

yes this was very noticable last night but maybe its also down to the fact i was looking for it especially durring Nate Marquardt's fight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

As far as greasing goes, what goes on between rounds is only the tip of the iceberg.

If you were to rub vaseline into your skin 2 hours before the fight. YOu would be dry going into the ring, but it would sweat out of your pores once you start sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I don't think there's any ways of avoiding it, the stories of Wand having a bath in some type of oil the night before fights have been around for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    As far as greasing goes, what goes on between rounds is only the tip of the iceberg.

If you were to rub vaseline into your skin 2 hours before the fight. YOu would be dry going into the ring, but it would sweat out of your pores once you start sweating.

I thought the same, however you do get your sweat on during a warmup especially the type of warmup these guys would do. I am sure they are ways though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SPORTINGGAMEZ

Is this now cos of the BJ allegations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

As per Dana

Advertisement