Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 X2 or Phenom X3 ?

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

How's it going lads.

Building an HTPC sorts. Looking for your opinions on the CPU.
    I won't be playing games at all, but I will be encoding video / DVD authoring..

Would you go for:

Phenom X3 Triple Core 8650 @ 2.3GHz
    = three lanes of traffic, each lane travelling at 2.3ghz

*or*

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3GHz
    = two lanes of traffic, each lane travelling at 3.0ghz

Apologies if those analogies are n00bily wrong - I'm not even sure if I understand it correctly myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's your budget? And do you want/need a drop-in upgrade for an existing AM2 motherboard? Neither of those are exactly A-ranked CPUs and if you wound up with an older stepping 6400+ the heat output and energy waste would be horrifying for a HTPC (125W!) Finally, what software will you be using for video editing and how much will you be using it?

Advertisement