Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with a leak in ensuite

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭

Hi I noticed wet on the ensuite bathroom floor so cut a bit of paster board out of the wall and the floor behind the wall is wet.

I have figured out that there is a pipe running straight up into the attic
    and runs to the roof.
    The pipe is wet on the outside of it.
    The insulation in the attic is wet around this pipe.

This pipe seems to be connected to the waste pipe thats running from the toilet down to the manhole outside.

I can only think that this is a ventilation pipe to let out fumes from the toilet .is this right?

But how could there be water be coming from that pipe.
    The water seems to be running down the outside of the pipe.
    Could it be coming in from the roof and running down the pipe.

There is another pipe running from the extracter fan in the ensuite to the roof.

I hope I have explained it properly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

could be that the fitting where the pipe passes through the roof is leaking, or it it is a roof vent tile the connection to the tile has come loose.

I had the latter problem and the amount of water was amazing

If it is this, wash the hands before u make the sambos:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Carlow52 wrote: »
    could be that the fitting where the pipe passes through the roof is leaking, or it it is a roof vent tile the connection to the tile has come loose.

I had the latter problem and the amount of water was amazing

If it is this, wash the hands before u make the sambos:)

thanks for reply how did u fix your problem?

if l got some of that expanding foam and got into the attic and put it in the gap where the pipe meets the roof would that work or is it a job for a roofer to get on the roof?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

water leaks must always be fixed from the source and the foam would be NFG.

you need to establish what kind of roof exit u have: does the pipe just stick out through the roof?

Advertisement