Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to grind a bankroll and find my leaks?

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. First time postin on the poker forum. I decided recently I'm sick of just constantly deposting the odd 50 into ppp especially now that i don't have alot of money to begin with so thought I'd grind out a bankroll. Put in 15 and am now up to 70 over the past two weeks. I'm playing 10NL 6 max and am looking for tips to improve my game and build my bankroll. I've read alot about poker but how do I really find my leaks. I have pokertracker and use it to track my stats. They are 24.69/13.79/4.61 with about 2.5k hands.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

For a start, you have not got enough money to be playing 10nl.

You should have at least 20 Buy-ins. Its all well and good while your winning, just wait till variance catches up and you will be busto. If I was you, Id either deposit more money or drop down level. Trust me, I have plenty of first hand experience with going busto, due to variance and not being rolled enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson wrote this article its like a beginners guide to bankroll management in laymens term.He talks about his gring up from $0.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.thehendonmob.com/poker_tips/starting_from_zero_by_chris_ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah I know it's not enough but I can't afford to deposit anything at the moment so I'm hoping to slowly grind my way up and I don't see the point in playing 4NL to be honest! O yeah I remember reading that post before alright thanks for the link I'll def. be using that 10percent rule anyway and as soon as I'm properly rolled for the 10NL I'll be paying attention to going down in limits and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 NorthernRock

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's not enough but I can't afford to deposit anything at the moment so I'm hoping to slowly grind my way up and I don't see the point in playing 4NL to be honest! O yeah I remember reading that post before alright thanks for the link I'll def. be using that 10percent rule anyway and as soon as I'm properly rolled for the 10NL I'll be paying attention to going down in limits and stuff.

Its 5%> rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

aya14 wrote: »
    Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson wrote this article its like a beginners guide to bankroll management in laymens term.He talks about his gring up from $0.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.thehendonmob.com/poker_tips/starting_from_zero_by_chris_ferguson
    really good read

Im in no position to queston(really no position at all:() the Jesus but does everyone agree with this bit:

If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me

Ive heard a few pro's say never leave a table when going really good

Ive 2 reading on this as not fully sure what he means :o
    If he sits down with 5% and double up he leaves
    or
    if the amount of money at the table is 10% he leaves
    is amount of money at table not always going to be over 10% if he sits with up to 5% and 6 people at table ?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Your sample of hands is too small. But your either limping to much or cold callling raises too much.

You need 20-30 buyind for your level. You're underrolled at the minute for 10nl. To find your leaks, sign up to a poker training site. Read the stickies here, post hands here that you are unsure about, ask more questions etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

you'll be broke before your properly rolled for 10NL unless you run like valor...
    so best drop down or deposit more.

Valor? Ok I just deposited enough for 20 buy ins. This is the max I can afford right now as I'm still in college. Should this be enough to keep me from going bust? Ok will def. post some hands up and ask questions. Don't you have to pay for the training sites though?

Thanks for the replys so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Make sure you have the dicipline to move down if you lose a few buyins.

Yes you have to pay for training sites. But you should be able to beat 10nl without a training site. Maybe save for one in the future.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Read and learn. There is loads of good information all over the place for starting to play and how to improve your game. With a bit of dedication and discipline, you should be in good shape. Post any hands you are unsure of in the theory forum and seeing how others play and think will help if you accept criticism when given (hopefully constructively).

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Its 5%> rule

There is a 10% rule
    elshambo wrote: »
    ...If he sits down with 5% and double up he leaves...

This
    Valor? Ok I just deposited enough for 20 buy ins. This is the max I can afford right now as I'm still in college. Should this be enough to keep me from going bust? Ok will def. post some hands up and ask questions. Don't you have to pay for the training sites though?

Thanks for the replys so far!

Valor posts here.
    Don't deposit any more, if you can't afford it. 20BI should be enough.

Training sites - Yes you have to pay & like has been said you shouldn't need them yet. But check out this one: http://www.deucescracked.com/

You can get a free 7 day trial. Sign up for a month and some time during the first week just contact them saying that you wish to cancel.
    Any T&C and everything you need to know about the offer is on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

Google pokertrikz.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

One word I'm beginning to ****ing hate when talking about poker is 'grind'.

How do I 'grind' a bankroll? I 'grinded' 200nl for two and a half hours. If it's such a ****ing grind just quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Is this "grinding" your Balls TED.....
    Grind,Grind,Grind,Grind,Grind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

TightTed wrote:
    One word I'm beginning to ****ing hate when talking about poker is 'grind'.

How do I 'grind' a bankroll? I 'grinded' 200nl for two and a half hours. If it's such a ****ing grind just quit.

You really grind my gears. It's a grind reading anything you post.

OP, good luck grinding.

Thanks Lazare. Recently started reading an ebook by ryanfee you might have heard of it its pretty big apparently. Seems to be a goldmine of info! O an tight ted I don't mean grind as in its a pain in the ass I just mean slowly move my way up. Maybe if u werent so tight things wouldnt grind wit you so much :D. Lol anyway thanks for all the advice peoiple I'll def. be posting some of my hands here and on 2+2 to see the correct thinking behind certain situations and I've already read everything I can in 2+2 from the stickies and alot of the stuff here aswell.

Advertisement