Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soothers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Horrible, disgusting, unneccessary things which are really for the parents comfort, not the child's.; to "pacify" them i.e. keep them quiet. No baby needs a soother. Human beings managed quite well without them for hundreds of thousands of years.

I just think it's wrong to fob them off with a plastic sucky thing. Hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

even a couple of trips around the countryside at 3am just trying to get my wee man to settle.

I once drove from Dublin to Ballinasloe and back in the middle of the night with our first lad. Woke up again as soon as I pulled into the driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Horrible, disgusting, unneccessary things which are really for the parents comfort, not the child's.; to "pacify" them i.e. keep them quiet. No baby needs a soother. Human beings managed quite well without them for hundreds of thousands of years.

I just think it's wrong to fob them off with a plastic sucky thing. Hate them!

I thought that too til I got to the point where I would have sold my soul for just ten minutes of the day when the baby wasn't crying and more than 20 minutes sleep at a time at night :( and I just wasn't able to pacify her myself (for months on end). Not that it helped much but it did a bit....

my second wasn't in the slightest bit interested... all he wanted was boob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

littlebug wrote: »

my second wasn't in the slightest bit interested... all he wanted was boob.

have no fear, he'll carry that well into adulthood. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I once drove from Dublin to Ballinasloe and back in the middle of the night with our first lad. Woke up again as soon as I pulled into the driveway.

LOl, we had one of them too! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

wel hen i was prgenant i was totally against soothers. but after my daughter came it was grand until she started teethin when she was just over 2months. it helped but she did get attached to it so me and my boyfriend only gave it 2 her at nap time. now @ 13months so only looks for it then which is great cause she is talkin more in her own way. and has more words and knows who is who. daddy is dada. mommy is mama and baby is baba and her new word that.

so really its a comfort 4 her which i think is not wrong cos we all hav things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 saoili

I was against the idea of soothers, not strongly, but I thought they were unnatural and there wasn't any need for them. That was before I gave birth. My little one (six months old) likes his soother, and at times it will help him calm down and/or go to sleep. It's a real godsend in the car seat. We always take it away once he's asleep and there doesn't seem to be much danger of him getting addicted to it. I can't remember the first time we gave him the soother, or why, but there have definitely been times I've been very glad of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

My 2nd son was a crier non stop and i was walking up the rpad and this women said to me would you not give him a soother and i stopped and said what would he be like if he lost his soother.She stopped and looked at me as if the thought never crossed her mind he would be worse if he lost it.Rather than not having one.Anyway noy=t all kids who dont have soothers suck their thumb ive 3 and none of them did.Really more to do with the chils rather than they were given soothers as babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Gyalist wrote: »
    My son finally gave up his when he was seven! However, it's since cost me a lot to have his teeth corrected. He's been wearing a retainer for the past 14 months and gets braces next month which he will have to wear for at least a year.
    OMGosh seven,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

OMGosh seven,

There were extenuating circumstances. He only slept for about 5 hours at night so it was a case of allowing him to do whatever made him sleep for longer. Like many others, I was adamant that I'd never allow my child to use a soother, but reality is often very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 waterbaba

I've no children, but I had a soother as a child, until I was 6 <blush>!! For the majority of those years I was only allowed to have it at bed-time though (and if I was really upset I was allowed to go into my room, have a little suck and then I had to put it back). The one thing I can't stand is when children talk with it still stuck in their gob!!

I will probably offer soothers to my children (if I'm blessed!), but hopefully they won't get as attached to theirs as I did to mine... I noticed recently that when I'm relaxed, or concentrating on something repetitive (like knitting, or driving) I tend to sort of flip the tip of my tongue backwards and sort of suck on it with pursed lips like I'm sucking a soother!!

I'm in my late 20s!! :D

(I'm also quite fond of a rubby-ribbon when I'm having trouble getting to sleep!! haha!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

marti101 wrote: »
    My 2nd son was a crier non stop and i was walking up the rpad and this women said to me would you not give him a soother and i stopped and said what would he be like if he lost his soother.She stopped and looked at me as if the thought never crossed her mind he would be worse if he lost it.Rather than not having one.Anyway noy=t all kids who dont have soothers suck their thumb ive 3 and none of them did.Really more to do with the chils rather than they were given soothers as babies.

Kids usually have more than one soother (it's recommended to change them and get a new one every while), she probably looked at you in exasperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

My boy is breastfed and I had to give him a soother as he was using the boob just to fall asleep and I was withered. I went through 3 months of wondering about his 'addiction' and fretting about how hed give it up and how Id get him to give it up. He gave it up himself at 4 months.
    Then at 8 months I gave it to him again to get him into his own room without breastfeed. And Ill tellyou Im not frretting this time. He has it andIm delighted. He loves it. He only gets it to fall asleep and I know from nieces and nephews that I can easily....well hopefully....get it off him eventually. He wont be sucking one on his wedding day anyway.
    The soother saved me in early days of breastfeedng and looking back I wasted a lot of time worrying and soul searching about it. My next baby is getting it straight off if he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

i dont really get what the problem is with soothers? as far as i know, no one ever got married with one in their mouth:), kids will give it up when they are ready. its a comfort object and provided its not affecting their speech, teeth whatever, i just dont see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

astrofool wrote: »
    Kids usually have more than one soother (it's recommended to change them and get a new one every while), she probably looked at you in exasperation.
    She propbably did couldnt understand why he didnd have one.Its a foreign concept to some people, i didnt give my child a soother.And i know they usually have more than one,but usually only suck certain ones and i wasnt looking at 2 in the morning for soothers in Tescos for anyone.

Advertisement