Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Earns €80,990 in overtime!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I am an Oranmore native now living in Dublin and glad of it if this is the behaviour of the Guards in Galway.
    Whats happening down there?????
    First we hear of a superintendant bagged for drunk driving, obviously not the first time he had indulged in what is a very serious crime.
    You'd only have to have 2 pints and try that game here and find yourself short a few thousand euro, no license no car and no job and dearer insurance when (if?) you get back on the road in a years time.
    Then we have the alleged woman hitter strutting his stuff in front of his girlfriend and hitting another woman in the face. Are taxis that scarce in Galway?? Maybe a few Dublin taxi drivers should go there and make a few bob........
    She has witnesses and still it gets thrown out on a technicality..........
    How convenient.
    My encounters with the Guards have been mixed, some are good some bad and some don't give a damn but for the sake of the good ones they Force should sort this article out.
    My only fear is he will end up in Security like a lot of ex-cops and that would be a nightmare for any potential customers.
    He shouldn't be allowed in any people related job at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

pipsqueak wrote: »
    and what happens when this "one Garda Spokesperson" says johnny had no tax, no insurance and was drunk? Johnny says eh no i wasnt. This "garda spokesperson" then says eh yes you were and johnny says no i wasnt etc etc.
    The actual garda involved in the case aint there so he cant give evidence to the contrary so Johnny walks away happy out!! Striiikee out!!
    Next suggestion pls!

are you suggesting that your average joes testimony is equal to a guard , if you are then you are quite naieve , a lady in galway with a taxi driver as a witness still resulted in a case of assault being dismissed against a garda , when it comes to small offenses , thier is not all that much certainty required when it comes to impressing the judge , believe me , i know from experience

ps , im not a criminal by profession , for criticising garda practices in politics .ie , i was branded as someone who obviously keeps them busy by some smug git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

FTA69 wrote: »
    The small Republican group Éirigi gets carloads of Branchmen at their events, as well as them tailing members and engaging in general harassment (stop and search etc), this group has absolutely no connection to any armed group so why the need to waste taxpayers money to pay detectives to sit around in Ford Mondeos all day?

If there was another Omagh 99.9% of the population would certainly think detectives are a good investment then. Well done to the Gardai in preventing terrorist activity in the past.
    However, the pay is way out of line. The average nurse or Garda in Ireland is paid 40% more ( before overtime ! ) than a nurse or policeman in London, Paris or Berlin...that is unsustainable and pure madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

Raiser wrote: »
    I live in Limerick and I read through all of the news media daily and in great detail.

Try these two on for size:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0226/collinse.html

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/garda-on-charge-of-making-up-taxi-assault-claim-complaint-officer-said-dress-was-torn-off-her-
    1480672.html

Almost on a daily basis we have people desperately calling for a Garda presence patrolling our streets; what do we get in 2009? - Gardaí roaming the streets like thugs....... Was that what you meant?

Going by what I've observed in a lifetime to date, my conclusion remains that are Gardaí are either stupidly inept, criminally lazy or worst of all - cynically avoiding actual criminals on a daily basis by patrolling the leafy suburbs and harassing Mammies over tax discs while peeping down their tops......

I'm from the northside of Dublin, I'm not a guard but I can't honestly say Ive withness first hand the garda doing a good job on numurous occassions. That is a huge group of people to paint with the one brush, sure your going to get a few that don't give a ****. But with every profession that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

joanne30 wrote: »
    I'm from the northside of Dublin, I'm not a guard but I can't honestly say Ive withness first hand the garda doing a good job on numurous occassions.

I agree. However, why are they paid 40% more than the police in the northside of Liverpool, Marseliies or Hamburg ? And why are their pensions much more generous ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

jimmmy wrote: »
    If there was another Omagh 99.9% of the population would certainly think detectives are a good investment then. Well done to the Gardai in preventing terrorist activity in the past.
    However, the pay is way out of line.

Are you implying eirigi are terrorists or planning attacks? :confused:

I think you should perhaps clarify or edit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joanne30

jimmmy wrote: »
    I agree. However, why are they paid 40% more than the police in the northside of Liverpool, Marseliies or Hamburg ? And why are their pensions much more generous ?

And that gives us the right to paint then all with the one brush, I don't think so.
    The goverment are at fault for the Garda pay scale.
    But on the other hand if I was the victim or a family member was a victim of a crime, rape , muder, mugging etc and the gardai worked there butt for justice for me would I think differently about what they deserve to be paid!

Advertisement