Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toon vs Toffees Sky Sports 4pm

• 22-02-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

b_31.png vs b_8.png

Teams news and stats from the Beeb and NUFC.com:
    Newcastle will welcome back Argentine winger Jonas Gutierrez and also hope that Obafemi Martins will be ready to play some part in the game.

Martins has been out since December with a hernia problem but is in the squad with Alan Smith and Mark Viduka.

Everton will recall Jo after he was cup-tied against Aston Villa and Louis Saha may be back on the bench.

Tim Cahill and Tony Hibbert are banned, while Marouane Fellaini, Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar are out injured.

Newcastle (from): Harper, S Taylor, Bassong, Coloccini, Enrique, R Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Duff, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Jonas, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Edgar, Forster, Cacapa, Geremi, Edgar, Donaldson.

Everton (from): Howard, Jagielka, Lescott, Yobo, Baines, Gosling, Arteta, Van der Meyde, Neville, Osman, Rodwell, Saha, Nash, Castillo, Baxter, Jacobsen.

Stats:

Toffees in Toon - Premier years:

2007/08 Won 3-2 Butt, Emre, Owen
    2006/07 Drew 1-1 Ameobi
    2005/06 Won 2-0 Solano 2
    2004/05 Drew 1-1 Bellamy
    2003/04 Won 4-2 Bellamy, Dyer, Shearer 2
    2002/03 Drew 3-3 Dyer 2, OG (LC) (lost on penalties)
    2002/03 Won 2-1 Shearer, Bellamy
    2001/02 Won 6-2 Shearer, Cort, O'Brien,
    Solano 2, Bernard
    2000/01 Lost 0-1 No scorer
    1999/00 Drew 1-1 Shearer
    1998/99 Lost 1-3 Shearer
    1998/99 Won 4-1 Ketsbaia 2, Shearer, Georgiadis (FAC)
    1997/98 Won 1-0 Lee
    1996/97 Won 4-1 Ferdinand, Lee, Shearer, Elliott
    1995/96 Won 1-0 Ferdinand
    1994/95 Won 2-0 Fox, Beardsley
    1993/94 Won 1-0 Allen

There is absolutely nothing to choose between these teams. Both have won 62 of their 157 meetings in all competitions with 33 drawn. Of the 477 goals conjured up by the pair, Newcastle have scored 239 and Everton 238.

Home and away
    League (inc PL): Newcastle 60 wins, Everton 57, Draws 32
    Prem: Newcastle 14 wins, Everton 10, Draws 7

at Newcastle only
    League (inc PL): Newcastle 41 wins, Everton 16, Draws 17
    Prem: Newcastle 10 wins, Everton 2, Draws 3
    I predict a vital win for Newcastle and will be bitterly disappointed with anything less. We may be ****, but even so we always give the likes of Villa and Everton a tough game at SJP, and generally do well. I think the return of Jonas, Martins and Viduka will make all the difference. 2-1 Toon!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is Joe Kinnear back for this? I hope Newky win easily so that JK doesn't y'know... die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Dave! wrote: »
    Is Joe Kinnear back for this? I hope Newky win easily so that JK doesn't y'know... die...
    He might be back in about 8 weeks but who knows, I think his days in the dugout are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JK is out of hospital but he won't be on the touchlines for the rest of the season from what I've been hearing.

Vital win is needed today from us. Good boost for us that Martins may return and Jonas is back too.

I reckon 2-1 for the toon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kinaldo wrote: »
    b_31.png vs b_8.png

Teams news and stats from the Beeb and NUFC.com:

I predict a vital win for Newcastle and will be bitterly disappointed with anything less. We may be ****, but even so we always give the likes of Villa and Everton a tough game at SJP, and generally do well. I think the return of Jonas, Martins and Viduka will make all the difference. 2-1 Toon!!!

I wish I shared your optimism Kinaldo. Our only hope is the fact that Everton are short on numbers up top, but then, that hasn't stopped the gobbling up the points lately.
    Dave! wrote: »

No. Won't be back fro at least 2 months, and tbh, he should never return. Results, tactics etc aside, someone with his heart problems, shouldn't be in the SJP hotseat. Without sounding dramatic, the job could have killed him.

I reckon we get Scolari in. :)

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think we should go for Temuri Ketsbaia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Actually one of the rags this morning mentioned that Scolari's payoff stipulated that he can't work in the Premiership for a year, so yer fresh outa luck :p

Ah yes. What a legend. Sibierski look-a-like too except Sibierski never dramatically kicked the advertising boards having scored a goal.

If we're gonna go for a young foreigner, then I would rather see us take a punt on Roberto Martinez, David Moyes MK II me thinks. Preferably though, I would prefer an experienced brit.

However, I think at the moment, we should be just as concerned about Dennis Wise still being at the club and Mike Ashley still being a tight fisted backstabbing ****. Who would want/would be able to work under that structure.

Nice to see some familiar faces on the bench for us today instead of random reserve team players.

Good attacking options if we need it in the form of Smith, Viduka and Martins.

• Advertisement

Team sheet in:

Steve Harper, Steven Taylor, Jose Enrique, Sebastien Bassong, Fabricio Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, Nicky Butt (c), Kevin Nolan, Damien Duff, Peter Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi.

Bench:

Tim Krul, Claudio Cacapa, Jonas Gutierrez, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Geremi

FFS, Jonas on the bench again :mad:. I thought JFK was suppossed to still be in the hospital. Yet again, we look devoid of any creativity.

Charlie wrote: »
    Team sheet in:

Steve Harper, Steven Taylor, Jose Enrique, Sebastien Bassong, Fabricio Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, Nicky Butt (c), Kevin Nolan, Damien Duff, Peter Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi.

Bench:

Tim Krul, Claudio Cacapa, Jonas Gutierrez, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Geremi

FFS, Jonas on the bench again :mad:. I thought JFK was suppossed to still be in the hospital. Yet again, we look devoid of any creativity.

They must have went for the 'leave Jonas on the bench and then bring him on late in the game so that he'll win the game for us' strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Newcastle: Harper, Steven Taylor, Bassong, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Ryan Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Duff, Ameobi, Lovenkrands.
    Subs: Krul, Cacapa, Martins, Smith, Gutierrez, Geremi, Viduka.
    Everton: Howard, Jagielka, Yobo, Lescott, Baines, Gosling, Neville, Arteta, Rodwell, Anichebe, Jo.
    Subs: Nash, Van der Meyde, Castillo, Saha, Jacobsen, Fellaini, Wallace.

Moyes is playing it safe here. That back 4 won't be beaten easily. Gosling and Arteta are more than capable of causing some serious problems in Midfield and well Jo is on form at the moment. We gave Newcastle a point last time out, sure as hell we'll be getting them back today.

TOON TOON

TOON TOON

BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!!!

Need a good start. We can't just sit back. All out attack please lads.

Howay the lads.

WTF I'm ****ing well pissed off now. How the **** is Jonas on the bench, motm against Sunderland. Maybe it's part of the plan to drive him out of the club so we can recoup a transfer fee. I'm changing my prediction now, 2-1 Toffees :mad:

WTF I'm ****ing well pissed off now. How the **** is Jonas on the bench, motm against Sunderland. Maybe it's part of the plan to drive him out of the club so we can recoup a transfer fee. I'm changing my prediction now, 2-1 Toffees :mad:

I'm keeping the faith. I would've put Jonas in the team instead of Ryan Taylor but Taylor did have a good game against West Brom.

The main question we should be asking is how the f**k is Ameobi starting?

Oh great Andy Gray is commentating. We get to listen to him lick David Moyes' ass for 90 minutes.

We all know you played for Everton but just shut up about it. You weren't that good. [/rant]

:)

Anyway come on the toon!!!!!

Great, Arteta's off and now Rodwells down.
    Good to see Newcastle set their stall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sounds like Arteta could be out for a while, he will be a huge loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Villain wrote: »
    Sounds like Arteta could be out for a while, he will be a huge loss

this is not good if it turns out to be the case!

Fcuking hell Peter, that was gilt edged.

this is not good if it turns out to be the case!

No, disaster for our season.

Can I ask, why is that kind of 50/50 challenge illegal cause a keeper is involved.

They get ridiculous protection from refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

nolan the liverpool fan off.

Fcuk, that was a horrible tackle. Poor form from Nolan, and a red card no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Terrible terrible tackle from Nolan,

those type of tackles should get a longer ban than a red card warrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus Nolan should get a 10 match ban for that, that was awful could easily break a leg with a tackle like that, disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Nasty nasty tackle, how anichebe got up from that and played on for a few minutes god only no`s.

Terrible tackle from Nolan. It seems like Joey Barton has never been away.

Fair play to him though for apologising.

Finally Jonas is on.

The crowd at SJP are doing their part today, and as usual Bassong is a beast. Head and shoulders our best player these days.

This def aint vintage Everton thats for sure. Without Pienaar, Osman, Cahill, Yakubu, Hibbert, Vaughan, a half or barely fit Saha and Fellaini. Jagielka isn't half as good at Right back. Newcastle took out Arteta then Anichebe and now Lovendkrands seems destined to do someone else damage. I'll take a 0-0 right now

Is it me or is Castillos shorts way to small for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Poor game over all, i thought the sending off ruined a reasonable game. Challange really did look awfull although i dont think the tackle ended up as Nolan intended. Te immediate appology seems to confirm that. Hard to know what the toon can take out of the game really, we struggled to pass the ball at all after the break wich was dissapointing. I think that if Everton were on their game we would have paid for that. Good to see quite a few players returning for both sides (Now get Ameobi the fcuk outa the team) and here's hoping that arteta recovers quickly for the toffees!!!

Good to see there's no bad blood over the Nolan incident.

A poor game but our defending was decent. Bassong was senstational as he has been for the majority of the season.

Poor passing in the second half and some bad decisions by Harper when taking goal kicks, giving it straight back to Everton.

All in all a good point considering we were down to ten men but it would have been a poor point had we had eleven men on the pitch.

We've a tough run of games coming up with the likes of Chelsea, United and Arsenal to come to St. James' so we need to get a win in our next match to give us a boost.

Good to see Martins and Smith coming back even if they didn't have too much of an influence on the pitch.

Hopefully Arteta won't be out too long for Everton. I think they'll really struggle without him. I can't pick anyone else who's got the same sort of creative quality that he has.

Nolan cost us all 3 points today for sure. Everton were rubbish and there for the taking. The only real positive was a rare clean sheet on a day we failed to find the net at SJP for the first time in the league this season. With Bassong looking so assured at the back I was never worried about losing the game in the 2nd half. Enrique deserves some plaudits too.

Very poor challenge from Nolan and from that point it was backs to the wall. Not many chances created at all because we had everyone back behind the ball. I'm thankful that Everton weren't on firing form today and that we managed to gain a point. 2 points dropped for me though.

Advertisement