Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The internet in ireland and china, not so different now ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Leak out of Music industry's Irish ISP nasty letter.

An internet hosting company has published a copy of the nasty-gram Ireland's music industry lawyers bulk-mailed to that country's internet service providers, demanding they begin blocking access to any website accused of piracy or else.

http://blog.blacknight.com/irma-thre...rish-isps.html

Well hardly surprising that they make stupid mistakes like this. Nothing short of amazing that they can't tell the difference between a host and bloody ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its been removed :P --edit-- actually more likely an incorrect link. It has ... in the actual link address so I guess boards broke it or something :D

They should not politely tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

Here is the correct link.

3 or 4 pages of threatening legalese. There is no doubt about it, IRMA wants the power to be digital censors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

cartoonish.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gregpent

I have read a few articles lately saying how they cannot be prosecuted and i have recently noticed there is thepiratebay.ie now in Ireland.

it doesnt look like they will go away, it looks like they are expanding

but maybe they will start charging in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What next, moderators censoring posts they disagree with?

Dear God, do you realise just how long it would take me to go through this forum censoring 95% of all posts! :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm unclear why this thread is in Politics, apart from the (wildly misleading) thread title.

This is a discussion on the rights and wrongs of an agreement between a privately-owned company and a music industry body. If we were talking about proposed legislation to block websites, fair enough; but we're not.

They (IRMA) are using the courts to do this, and quoting current Irish law.

In addition, it's not just an agreement between two organisations - IRMA have threatened to bury all the other ISPs in Ireland with lawsuits if they do not likewise knuckle under.

FWIW I sent the Minister for Communications (Eamon Ryan) a polite but strongly worded email about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not as of yet got a reply.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SeanW wrote: »
    They (IRMA) are using the courts to do this, and quoting current Irish law.
    That makes it a legal issue, not a political one.
    In addition, it's not just an agreement between two organisations - IRMA have threatened to bury all the other ISPs in Ireland with lawsuits if they do not likewise knuckle under.
    Still a legal rather than a political issue.
    FWIW I sent the Minister for Communications (Eamon Ryan) a polite but strongly worded email about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not as of yet got a reply.
    What do you want him to do about it?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That makes it a legal issue, not a political one. Still a legal rather than a political issue.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    If we were talking about proposed legislation to block websites, fair enough; but we're not.
    According to IRMA, the legislation already exists.
    What do you want him to do about it?
    The government makes legislation. And according to IRMA, the government passed legislation that allows the courts to become the web censorship wing of the powerful monied interests behind IRMA.

As the Minister with responsibility for communications, it is up to him to examine the legislation and (along with the government in general) to amend the legislation to remove whatever sections are used as justification for the censorship and I was hoping even for some kind of ISP indemnification proposal to specifically protect ISPs from "censor or else" lawsuits, court orders and threats.

Why the hell do we have a ministry of communications and a Communications Regulator if they can't deal with these problems? Then again, given that the likes of Sony "rootkits" BMG probably have political clout, I expect the government (who potentially caused this whole mess) will stand by and let them take all the digital imprimatur powers they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement