Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapered Leader ??

Options
  • 22-02-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

I've being looking all over the net but can't find/tell that what i've seen is what i'm looking for i need your help......... i met a lad as i started out fly fishing 2 year ago he attached a tappered leader to my fly line that i would now like to replace with the same as its very neat set up.. its a leader that you put superglue into the butt end of the leader then push the fly line up into the butt of leader it dries bobs your uncle tis very tidy. Anyone know who make's or sells such a leader, thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 riverbum

Have'nt seen this particular leader available but a friend of mine does this with ordinary tapered leaders by pushing a hot darning needle into the butt of the leader first and widening it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not quite the same thing, but I would suggest a braided loop connector. Like the leader you are talking about, it's a piece of braid and you push the fly-line up the butt of it, you can secure it with glue or I think most of them come with a rubber band that slides up it (some people use glue to hold the rubber band in place. This gives you a loop at the end of the fly-line.

You then tie a loop at the butt end of your leader (either a surgeons loop or a perfection loop). You can then join the leader to the fly line with a loop to loop connection. The loop to loop connection lets you change leaders in seconds if you need to and you can remove a leader easily without having to snip it.

The braided loop connectors should be in most tackle shops or are easily available on line
    e.g. http://www.theessentialfly.co.uk/braided-loop-connectors/braided-loop-conector-3-connectors-17cm-for-joining-fly-line-to-leader.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It sounds very handy, and a slimline solution that will go through rod rings nicely.

But if you hook a ten pound trout, the fish of a lifetime. Will superglue hold?

I guess it depends on where you fish.

Me? I use a needle knot with superglue reinforcement, or a figure of eight knot and a looped leader, braided loops have come off in the past so I superglue them, but am seriously concerned that in a high load situation the plastic flyline cover may at any time slip off along with the braided loop. I have had that happen with both braided loops and with needle knots with less strain than a really big fish exerts.

A really tight needle knot not only "grabs" the plastic outer covering of the flyline, but it also is tightened on the inner braided flyline core. the best is where you thread up the core for a bit, then come out through the side and make the needle knot. With superglue this is a very strong join. But a figure of eight and loop is much easier to do, faster, strong, better done on the water, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 riverbum

If you are itching to spend your hard earned ,then Minicon Trout Loops are the best available. Available form http://www.romanmoser.com/site/shop/CB_Shop_Main.php?category_id=46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

thanks lads i'm taking it all on board,reason i like this leader is that i still make the odd mistake of pulling the fly line into the rod rings and this leader helps in a quick fix....only learning to to fly fish, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Its a good question Tackleberry. I reckon for simplicity the braided loop is best and Riverbum's Moser's mincon is king. I had a goo and saw this on the interweb.

SHIMAZAKI "LEADER SPLICER KIT"

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=FX885

In essence they are doin what Coolwings suggests by lining a needle through the fly line pushing the leader through roughing it up for friction then super gluing it. I think the nail knot coolwings says is much more reliable than what they suggest. (drawing it back in and setting it in the line!:eek:)

I have a light dryline by airflo which has an in built welded loop on the line:D. I just loop to loop connect to the leader.
    MicroLoopDIagram.jpg

I suppose if people fish a knotted tippet with droppers and all of only a few pound then once it takes more than that its ok.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mcashin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Advertisement