Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Westmanstown Garda Club

Options
  • 22-02-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0222/breaking28.htm
    Gardai are investigating a shooting at Westmanstown garda club in west Dublin this afternoon.

The incident happened at 1pm in the club’s car park. One man was injured and brought to James Connolly hospital in Blanchardstown. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

The other man was arrested and disarmed at the scene by off-duty gardai. He is being held at Lucan Garda station under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

Anyone hear any further details?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just heard it in the car a little while ago. The man arrested was a foreign national and one firearm was recovered. The victim isn't a Garda apparently.

In fairness, if you're going to shoot somone you'd have to be spectacularly stupid to do it in a place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zaph wrote: »
    In fairness, if you're going to shoot somone you'd have to be spectacularly stupid to do it in a place like that.

Maybe they though the would get away with it if they gave their name as Prawo Jazdy :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

More on it today:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0223/1224241665762.html?via=mr

Two Moldovans it seems, the "victim" had his 3 kids in the car, poor things.

A Garda armed with a hurley seems to have sorted the situation out. :D Who needs guns eh?

Can immigrants who get involved in serious crime like this be deported?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not unless they are illegally here. I dont see many Irish people being sent home from UK, US or anywhere else simply because they've committed a crime, so its not really the done thing.
    however, if they have a history of involvement with crime in Moldova or any other copuntry, they should not get a visa to stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

5 posts and not a single "Not in D 15 move along folks nothing to see here"???

Huh? Zaph, Tahed and Gaspode must still be in happy mode after the beers on Friday! :p

*Agree with Zaph, what a stoopid place to shoot someone though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

5 posts and not a single "Not in D 15 move along folks nothing to see here"???

Huh? Zaph, Tahed and Gaspode must still be in happy mode after the beers on Friday! :p

It's close enough to D15 as close as the phenoix park is.

If you have an issue with it being here report it to the mods of the forum.
    Which by the way I am not one of.

Westmanstown say they are in Dublin 15

http://www.westmanstowngolfclub.ie/contact.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

'tis close enough for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

So random.. and such a place for it to happen. Havent been a member there since they brought in the big gym and all but it used to be a quiet enough place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I didn't have an issue with it. Well the shooting yes, but not the putting it here.

I always thought that Westmanstown was out Lucan way and not in D15. Cheers for letting me know oblivious, you learn something new every day.

• Advertisement

Cheers for letting me know oblivious, you learn something new every day.

No problem, but that's according to them

The borders of Dublin 15 are ephemeral and nebulous at all times, and cryptic, dark, enigmatic, equivocal, murky, obscure, unintelligible; bleary, dim, faint, foggy, hazy, indeterminate, indistinguishable, uncertain, undefinable, undefined, undetermined; inexplicable, inscrutable, mysterious; baffling, bewildering, confounding, confusing, mystifying, perplexing, and basically puzzling at all other times.

I speak with experience from the (sometimes) northeastern frontline of said district.
    :)

Advertisement