Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Options
  • 22-02-2009 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

I was in a newsagents earlier and got asked for I.D...... I'm 24!!.... I was buying a feckin scratchcard!! I had no I.D so I said to her 'I'M 24!' but she goes "I have to ask ya love'. I told her to leave it and slunk out of the shop feelin about 12.

I felt a bit better in tescos later, when there was a woman in the queue in front of me buying drink. The cashier asked her for I.D. and the woman said shamefacedly that she was 27. The cashier then goes "JAYSUS i didnt think ya were tha OLD!!!" The woman legged it redfaced out of the shop with the cashier shouting after her "AT LEAST YE LOOK GOOD FER YOUR AGE!!!!

This ever happened to you?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm 22 and was asked yesterday.

Wearing leather jacket, nice jumper, trousers and nice shoes and I get asked all the same.

Now if I was in full student regalia, maybe, but I was decked out like the fonze that day.

Always happens when I shave, ridiculous.

Young fellas, bit of advice, buy a fake beard, moustache, anything, Its how ye get served!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Always seem to get asked :(

In Tesco I just go to the counter with the youngest person at it because they are least likely to ask me.

Got asked last time anyway but I could tell the guy didn't want to. Companies need to cope on with their policies and let employees use their judgement on this type of thing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

F**k yeah, I'm always getting carded. I was told why once and all. Upon telling the cashier that I didn't have ID with me as I'm 26 she said "Oh, okay. But you're so short."

I now always wear heels when I buy alcohol. Even if if means bringing a spare pair in my bag and changing into them outside the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pretty much expected in many establishments in the states, got asked for ID in chicago in 2006 (i was 29 at the time), refused entry when i didn't have a passport or an american driving licence :mad:

asked for ID in washington DC and orlando in bars last year (at age 31 and with beard)

lol, I'm 6 foot tall and 25 and get carded each time. In the actual off license, I never get asked. Only in Tesco and the like. Sometimes going into pubs but less often now that I make eye contact and say hello to the bouncer at the door. Guess they were more annoyed that I wasn't recognising their existence or thought I looked nervous or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm rarely asked. It always does happen when i don't have id on me though.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Neesa wrote: »
    I now always wear heels when I buy alcohol. Even if if means bringing a spare pair in my bag and changing into them outside the shop.
    i'm sorry but would it not be more sensible to just carry a fecking ID rather than a second set of shoes?

wimmen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

I don't get asked too often, lucky for some I suppose. All the same, you can't expect them to believe you if you don't have ID... If you look young, you look young. That's not a bad thing, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

im 23, was in superquinn recently and was in the wine section where a lady was giving out free samples.she offered me one, then pulled back and asked was i 18.same thing happened when i joined a gym.asked was i 18 because they didnt allow anyone under to be doing weights.i was chuffed both times tbh! id never get insulted about it, people are just doing their jobs, theyre not the ones who make the policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ainm

I asked a guy buying cigarettes for ID yesterday, he told me he was 26! :( Whoops! He looked about 20 at most so it's just really hard to tell sometimes.

He didn't have ID on him though so who knows if he was telling the truth or not.

• Advertisement

I don't get asked too often, lucky for some I suppose. All the same, you can't expect them to believe you if you don't have ID... If you look young, you look young. That's not a bad thing, is it?

The problem is many people don't look young, its just a moronic company policy to ask everyone regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I'm 25 and I get carded all the time - I take it as a compliment though and the barstaff/cashiers are always surprised when i show them I'm 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Looking for my laminator the other day, couldn't find it anywhere.

So I asked my son has he seen it, red faced he 'fessed up that its broken :mad:

So I asked to look at it, disassembled it and found he's been making fake ID's for his buddies - there was the reminants of one lads ID wrapped and melted around the rollers.

I asked to see some other's, and have to give him credit where its due - they're deadly!.

Oh sorry, yea the little fucker!..

i'm sorry but would it not be more sensible to just carry a fecking ID rather than a second set of shoes?

You're being sarcastic, right??! Or in your world is it easier to apply for a passport (I don't drive so Driver's License is out), pay €75 for the passport (and €6 - €8 for passport photos), wait 6 weeks (at least) in order to recieve passport (unless you want to pay extra), then go to garda station and fill in National ID form, another €6 - €8 for more photos (it's a bad idea to use the same photo on two forms of ID), wait another 8 weeks (excluding backlog) for the National ID to come through...

... than it is to carry a second pair of shoes to the off license?

Can I come and live in your world? I bet you don't have to pay taxes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Or just grow a beard, It's always worked for me.....
    You're being sarcastic, right??! Or in your world is it easier to apply for a passport (I don't drive so Driver's License is out), pay €75 for the passport (and €6 - €8 for passport photos), wait 6 weeks (at least) in order to recieve passport (unless you want to pay extra), then go to garda station and fill in National ID form, another €6 - €8 for more photos (it's a bad idea to use the same photo on two forms of ID), wait another 8 weeks (excluding backlog) for the National ID to come through...

yeah because passports are so useless, no point in getting one of those silly things.where do you go on holidays, bray??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Mairt wrote: »
    Looking for my laminator the other day, couldn't find it anywhere.

So I asked my son has he seen it, red faced he 'fessed up that its broken :mad:

So I asked to look at it, disassembled it and found he's been making fake ID's for his buddies - there was the reminants of one lads ID wrapped and melted around the rollers.

I asked to see some other's, and have to give him credit where its due - they're deadly!.

Oh sorry, yea the little fucker!..

Contact details for your son please? :D

Whats worse is being 17 like myself, getting asked in most places, and not having noe, i really must get around to getting a driver license or something done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

timmywex wrote: »

Whats worse is being 17 like myself, getting asked in most places, and not having noe, i really must get around to getting a driver license or something done!

+1
    theres one pub where i'm pretty much a regular now so they know me there... other places can be a bit of hit and miss...

Oh yes, holidays. The be-all-and-end-all of life. Howsoever would a person live without the holy grail that is Holidays? How would one breathe?

I've never been on a holiday in my life. It's the probably the thing I most can't understand about the Irish, and the English too. People take out loans to go on a holiday. People on the dole go on a holiday. My husband thinks it's something to do with being Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

timmywex wrote: »

My son is 17 too.

He is what the recession needs, someone willing to go the extra mile :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I felt a bit better in tescos later, when there was a woman in the queue in front of me buying drink. The cashier asked her for I.D. and the woman said shamefacedly that she was 27. The cashier then goes "JAYSUS i didnt think ya were tha OLD!!!" The woman legged it redfaced out of the shop with the cashier shouting after her "AT LEAST YE LOOK GOOD FER YOUR AGE!!!!

This ever happened to you?

Have to say, if a cashier tried that with me (granted I'm not a woman) I'd deck the cheeky cnut. Should be sacked for that carry-on too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Oh yes, holidays. The be-all-and-end-all of life. Howsoever would a person live without the holy grail that is Holidays? How would one breathe?

I've never been on a holiday in my life. It's the probably the thing I most can't understand about the Irish, and the English too. People take out loans to go on a holiday. People on the dole go on a holiday. My husband thinks it's something to do with being Spanish.

Ireland is a wet dreary kip.

Maybe if you left the country once in a while, you'd realise that.

Oh, and ye hardly need a bankloan to get ye to france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i get carded a lot. i think i look young for my age (25) and look a little bit like a knacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

wimmen :pac:

wimmin like their shoes

of yeah of course, its only irish and english people that go on holidays, the rest of the world thinks we're weirdos. look at them crazy irish, visiting somewhere theyre not from.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not being sarcastic, i'm just being practical.

so you have no id whatsoever? that's just mad tbh. no passport/no drivers license/no college id?

i think of things in the long term, i go get myself an id (garda one) wait 8 weeks, wear my heels to off licenses for those eight weeks and then when i get my card i ditch the heels as there's only so many times i can say i'm going to see rocky horror.

and the last passport i got took 10 days, for 75 euro. it's pretty standard tbh.

i just can't see where you're coming from thinking it's easier to carry an extra pair of shoes than a credit card sized piece of plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Mate of mine was asked for ID recently when buying cigarettes, which is fair enough - cant have the kids smoking and all, thing is he's nearly thirty...wtf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

df1985 wrote: »
    of yeah of course, its only irish and english people that go on holidays, the rest of the world thinks we're weirdos. look at them crazy irish, visiting somewhere theyre not from.:rolleyes:

I think she probably means that people will get into debt just to go on their precious holiday.

I know two particular people who have just lost their jobs, and have also just booked a holiday for this summer with money they definitely do not have. I said to one of them 'emmm I thought you were going to try to pay off your debts?' and he said 'Yes but its my HOLIDAY!' i cant go without my holiday!"

I've been on 4 holidays altogether. I wouldnt go every year, They're expensive stuff and I wouldn't go a year I couldn't afford it.

Having said that, I couldn't imagine having no I.D. whatsoever. I'd feel lost! And you need it for so many things: banks, houses etc how do you manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I've often been out with my younger sister where I got asked for ID going into a club and she didn't.

Last year someone asked me if I was 15 yet. I was 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Got carded in the off-license last night for the first time in years... she just asked "Are you over 18?" I replied "um... I'm 23", got the suspicious eye until i'd bagged my purchases.

I've found behaving like you expect to not be carded gets you by easily enough.

The cashier did ask me how old i was afterwards again with genuine curiosity, it seems being in a reasonably good mood takes a few years off of me :/

Advertisement