Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

Im 22 in 3 weeks and im always being asked for id, ive been told a few times that i look like im about 15!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

I was in a newsagents earlier and got asked for I.D...... I'm 24!!.... I was buying a feckin scratchcard!! I had no I.D so I said to her 'I'M 24!' but she goes "I have to ask ya love'. I told her to leave it and slunk out of the shop feelin about 12.

I felt a bit better in tescos later, when there was a woman in the queue in front of me buying drink. The cashier asked her for I.D. and the woman said shamefacedly that she was 27. The cashier then goes "JAYSUS i didnt think ya were tha OLD!!!" The woman legged it redfaced out of the shop with the cashier shouting after her "AT LEAST YE LOOK GOOD FER YOUR AGE!!!!

This ever happened to you?
    I don't see what the problem is. Okay so it was only a scratchcard, but if there's any little doubt in the shopkeepers mind, they are obliged to ask, particularly with cigs and alcohol.

Shops can be fined and closed down resulting in other staff and yourself losing wages if you're a worker there, so don't think anyone wants to be responsible for that, purely for fear of asking a twenty something for ID!!!

I'm 23 and still get asked for ID but I don't see how it's a problem. I may smile in a "I can't believe I'm being asked for ID" way, but I show it to them, no qualms. It doesn't annoy me. It amuses me as I surely don't look under 18! I once asked a guy for ID as he was buying alcohol and he said "Are you serious?" I said "Yeah, sorry, I can't be sure you're over 18". He said "Am 25!" And I said " Fair enough, but I still need to see ID", which he produced but I stood there thinking "What an arse, am only doing my job!" Sometimes it's difficult to tell, is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

F**k yeah, I'm always getting carded. I was told why once and all. Upon telling the cashier that I didn't have ID with me as I'm 26 she said "Oh, okay. But you're so short."

I now always wear heels when I buy alcohol. Even if if means bringing a spare pair in my bag and changing into them outside the shop.
    What a stupid thing to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'm 21 and I haven't been ID'ed for anything - alcohol, tobacco, definitely not scratch cards - in well over a year. I'm of regular height and build, shave at least twice weekly so there's nothing to say I'm either older or younger than I am.

Can't believe the OP was ID'ed for a scratch card :eek: What are you going to do with that? You won't get drunk off it and you won't get lung cancer either.

For those being ID'ed in Tesco, it's policy to ID all customers who look under the age of 25 there afaik. Stop giving out, people who look under 40 are ID'ed every time in certain counties in California, particularly Orange and San Diego.

A friend's brother-in-law was ID'ed in ridiculous fashion in Vermont a few years ago, he was 32 at the time, handed the man his Massachusetts drivers' license. The jobsworth behind the counter looked at him, at the ID, at him, at the ID, asked him if he remembered his birthdate, looked for an ATM card or other form of ID to second his identity, he gave his Irish drivers' license, and then the tool tried to peel the photo off the pink card. I'll never forget the laugh we had coming out of the offie!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

i know how you feel op, i got asked for id when buying the lotto once. i was 19 at the time. i showed her my garda id and my student id. i was then asked was my garda id fake.:rolleyes:

i got my lotto in the end though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im 22, was asked in Tesco. When I pointed out my age and DOB, she called security. Apparently its their store policy. He was rude when I said the same thing, so I left and got my ID, made the complaint, got the drink (my mistake) and never shopped in that store again. I dont drink, I was getting it for the brother but rarely get asked for my ID when required.

Whatever about asking me for ID, the way I was spoken to was inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I rarely get carded in Ireland, in the States it's a different matter altogether. I think it's a corporate culture thing since generally it's the likes of Tesco and other large chains that I do get carded in.

My older brother seems to always get carded when I'm around though. We were buying Dvds in Gamestop one day and he got carded, didn't have any on him so I had to buy his 18s dvd for him. He's 29, I'm 24! What made it even better was that I got served without being asked and then so did your little brother who was only 17 at the time. :pac:

Places can get closed over underage serving etc, in particular with alchohol so the odd time I do get asked, I don't see it as an issue. IF I don't have id on me, then it'[s my own fault and there's no point in getting snotty with the staff. I know ahead of time I might get carded, so if I really really want that liter of vodka, I make sure to bring id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

jinxycat wrote: »
    i know how you feel op, i got asked for id when buying the lotto once. i was 19 at the time. i showed her my garda id and my student id. i was then asked was my garda id fake.:rolleyes:

i got my lotto in the end though :D

Did you win?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Went to pick up a DVD last night for a friend, it was 18s, got asked for ID, showed her my garda ID, the girl sniffs and goes 'that's a fake, garda id's are blue, not black'. Mine's just the older model, think she was about 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm always getting asked, and I'm 25! Taking it as a compliment really.
    I get asked even more in London for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Shinbob

Yes at has happened to me and i have to say i was delighted n excited!!! Me one behing the counter knew by my reaction that she had made a folly............. wished i'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Used to work in a record store. We always had to ask people their age when selling over 18 dvd's. Was always embarrassing especially when I found out that the buyer was often older then I was at the time. Management always warned us that the company could lose its license if we sold dvd's to a minor. Didn't like the sound of that. I can understand why companies have to be very strict. When I was younger I was insulted to be asked for ID when buying beer. Doesn't bother me at all anymore, I can just laugh it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I was in Sligo at the weekend and realised I'd left my I.D at home - five counties away.

I was staying at my friends flat and I wanted to go into the off licence to get drink, and on entering the off licence I immediately got that nervous twitch where you know you have no I.D on ya, I'm 25. So I went up anyway to the 18 yr old looking girl on the till with a bottle of vodka , and she goes 'Right have you I.D there please', and I was immediately struck dumb with embarassment and mumbled 'no'. I wanted to shout "Im 25 for god sake!!', but I was just struck dumb. Anyway she goes 'No ID, no sale', and I stumbled out cursing my shortness and freckles.

I again got asked for ID going into a club in Sligo. Now whenever I have my id on me I never get asked in clubs.

I think they can smell your fear.

I got in in the end anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I was in Sligo at the weekend and realised I'd left my I.D at home - five counties away.

I was staying at my friends flat and I wanted to go into the off licence to get drink, and on entering the off licence I immediately got that nervous twitch where you know you have no I.D on ya, I'm 25. So I went up anyway to the 18 yr old looking girl on the till with a bottle of vodka , and she goes 'Right have you I.D there please', and I was immediately struck dumb with embarassment and mumbled 'no'. I wanted to shout "Im 25 for god sake!!', but I was just struck dumb. Anyway she goes 'No ID, no sale', and I stumbled out cursing my shortness and freckles.

I again got asked for ID going into a club in Sligo. Now whenever I have my id on me I never get asked in clubs.

I think they can smell your fear.

I got in in the end anyway :D

They cant ask you for ID if your over 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    They cant ask you for ID if your over 23
    Yes they can! So if I was 22 I could just say I was 23 and it'd be okay? How would they know if I was actually over 23...oh ID's do that job.

My mother even got asked for ID and no offence to her but she's an old looking 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

How about your 30's!
    My OH was asked for ID in Carlow at the age of 32 and as grey as a badger. We fell around the ground laughing at him.

• Moderators Posts: 51,826 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Got asked for ID in athlone and I'm 30.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

taram wrote: »
    Yes they can! So if I was 22 I could just say I was 23 and it'd be okay? How would they know if I was actually over 23...oh ID's do that job.

My mother even got asked for ID and no offence to her but she's an old looking 50.

No they cant ask,if your over 23 your exempt,and someone under 21 shouldnt be selling alcohol,so if a girl who looked under 21 was asking you for ID,you are fully entitled to question her age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

It always happens to me. I got that really young lookin face, and I'm always asked for ID.
    Remember I was asked for ID on my birthday in tesco by this miserable cashier, when I gave it to her I said "ITS MY BIRTHDAY".
    she could have at least said happy birthday lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    No they cant ask,if your over 23 your exempt,and someone under 21 shouldnt be selling alcohol,so if a girl who looked under 21 was asking you for ID,you are fully entitled to question her age

Doh !! how would they know you were over 23? and if they knew that you were over 23 they wouldnt be asking you for id to prove that you were over 18 !!!!!!!!!! :confused:

you have to be over 18 to sell alcohol not 21 get your facts right.

its irrelevant what age the sales assistant is (except where alcohol is involved , then they have to be 18) even if the are way younger then you they have to ascertain that you are over 18.

You have to be 18 to buy national lottery products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

How I wish someone would think I looked young enough to be asked for ID.
    People do think that I am in my late 20's (I'm 34) which is good enough for me...lol
    Was out 2 yrs ago with my best friend who was over visiting from norway and she was asked for ID...she was speechless....and her 29.
    Saying that some bouncers I think can just be awkward feckers....my friends 18 yr old 6ft, slim blonde norwegian niece was with us and she wasnt asked for ID, let straight in eventhough the venue prides itself on maintaining an over 21's crowd!!!

Which brings to mind an experience I had when I was in Norway myself a few years ago....The venue we would go to when I am there is over 25's and EVERYONE is asked for ID on entering....on my first visit there I was asked...'I didnt realise I would need any'....when I said I didnt have any...the bouncers reply.....'its ok.....you dont look under 25 anyway'!!!
    The cheek.....lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aoife Noelle

does anybody out there have an old/spare garda age card/passport/driver's licence. I've looked EVERYWHERE and nobody looks like me or has any spares :confused:

I'm just finishing the leaving and I'm 17..... won't be 18 for a good while. I used to get in most places last summer (before everywhere had to close early) but recently i've been refused.

So any form of id (age card/cancelled passport/provisional license) are very much appreciated :p

Please! xoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

yes, random internet person. you can have my age card. why don't i throw in my driving license, passport and a few bank cards while we're at it? that way it'll work no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

just a harmless young one id say. Tryin her best:)

or clutching at straws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

does anybody out there have an old/spare garda age card/passport/driver's licence. I've looked EVERYWHERE and nobody looks like me or has any spares :confused:

I'm just finishing the leaving and I'm 17..... won't be 18 for a good while. I used to get in most places last summer (before everywhere had to close early) but recently i've been refused.

So any form of id (age card/cancelled passport/provisional license) are very much appreciated :p

Please! xoxo

Ok once you dont go buying drink with it, hey wait a minute:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

i'm sorry but would it not be more sensible to just carry a fecking ID rather than a second set of shoes?

wimmen :pac:

Most thanked post EVA??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

am 30 in september and get asked for id everywhere except my local
    Was out for a meal with the inlaws last week and got asked when I was buying a round for them and a coke for myself
    In 1 way it can be handy though cause they seem to remember me the next time Im there

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Did you win?:D

hehe i did a matter of fact, got 100 euros from the ticket in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I'm almost 25 and was asked for ID when buying a lotto ticket a couple of weeks ago.... a lotto ticket.... Damn these youthful looks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Tesco has come up a lot, so I'll say this.

The policy on ID there is if you think the customer is 21 or older, fine go ahead and serve them the alcohol. If you think they look under 21, you must ask for ID and then "No ID, no sale". Obviously if they provide you with ID stating they're 18 or older, then go ahead and serve them.

Advertisement