Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Work in an offie myself, and have to regularly id people. However, instead of the whole ridiculous ''do they look under 21'' policy operated by most shops, i say to myself ''do they look 17'' - if they look older, i wont ask for ID. Unless its a girl, who's covered in make-up, sometimes a 17 year old girl can easily look 21 when she's all dolled up. Also some people in their 20s do genuinely look very young, so then i've no choice but to ask. The easiest thing is just to have a Garda Age Card with you, the amount of young people that come into the shop i work in without ID and expect to get served is ridiculous - if you look young and you've no ID, you won't get served, end of story.

*On a related note, what Tesco are doing in refusing to accept ID such as Driving Licences is not only highly ridiculous but also illegal. A driving licence is a state document and by law, cannot be refused as a form of identification. I've seen 28 year olds who look at least 25 being refused by Tesco, as i was myself, even though i'm 25 and had my driving licence with me. They are a total joke, a farce of an operation and i would never buy any drink (or anything) from that shop ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

grenache wrote: »
    Work in an offie myself, and have to regularly id people. However, instead of the whole ridiculous ''do they look under 21'' policy operated by most shops, i say to myself ''do they look 17'' - if they look older, i wont ask for ID. Unless its a girl, who's covered in make-up, sometimes a 17 year old girl can easily look 21 when she's all dolled up. Also some people in their 20s do genuinely look very young, so then i've no choice but to ask. The easiest thing is just to have a Garda Age Card with you, the amount of young people that come into the shop i work in without ID and expect to get served is ridiculous - if you look young and you've no ID, you won't get served, end of story.

*On a related note, what Tesco are doing in refusing to accept ID such as Driving Licences is not only highly ridiculous but also illegal. A driving licence is a state document and by law, cannot be refused as a form of identification. I've seen 28 year olds who look at least 25 being refused by Tesco, as i was myself, even though i'm 25 and had my driving licence with me. They are a total joke, a farce of an operation and i would never buy any drink (or anything) from that shop ever again!
    I boycott tesco anyway, keep it irish. the country is bad enough with out handing our money to the brits. dunnes is an irish company why cant we shop there?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i was asked for ID today.

admittidly i was voting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Once again this is all over your heads.

Getting asked for ID when your are clearly over 18 is just training you for the acceptance of a national ID card, along with demands for proof of identification whereever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Disky wrote: »

Getting asked for ID when your are clearly over 18 is just training you for the acceptance of a national ID card, along with demands for proof of identification whereever you go.

LoL. Spot on, all around the country spotting 17 year olds are on the governments payroll.

The biggest irony being you are a part of a much worse future than they one you hear. Orwell was wrong, but someone else was right. Do yourself the favour and figure out who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Quite an eye-rape of a user title you've got there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL. Spot on, all around the country spotting 17 year olds are on the governments payroll.

The biggest irony being you are a part of a much worse future than they one you hear. Orwell was wrong, but someone else was right. Do yourself the favour and figure out who.

I can make no sense of that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I can make no sense of that post.

If that is the case mate, then you badly need to read more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

In the Uk supermarkets, such as aldi or asda. they now have a 'challenge 25' policy, which means if you look under 25 they ask you for id. its a bit extreme i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If I am asked for ID I simply wont buy anything from that shop. It's an insult to be asked when you clearly look 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TorresDaLegend

Dont mean to cause contraversy and what not but im 16 and i always get served smokes, and most of the time drink :)

Like not being really suspicious and buying crates but defintely naggins and small amount of cans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

rossie1977 wrote: »
    pretty much expected in many establishments in the states, got asked for ID in chicago in 2006 (i was 29 at the time), refused entry when i didn't have a passport or an american driving licence :mad:

asked for ID in washington DC and orlando in bars last year (at age 31 and with beard)

I walked into a restaurant in New York New York, Vegas and asked for a bottle of water, she said "fine, that'll be 3-fiddy" It felt a bit warm so i asked for a glass of ice and then she asked for ID. For a glass of ICE???? Seriously ??? ya cant stand at a bar over there without ID...madness !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'm 20, don't get ID'd much, but I aways have my garda ID on me, just in case!

I was in Dunnes with my friend a few months ago, buying drink for a night out!
    Paying for the stuff at the till, this woman in her 50's was serving us.
    She scanned the items through, looked at us and said
    "Are you 18, girls?"

"Yes, I'm 20, she's almost 19"

"Do you promise?"

"Yeah..."

"I hope you're not lying to me..."

"I have my ID, if you'd like to see it?"

"Nah, you're fine, Love!"

Bizarre! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Haha similar thing happened to me in Whelan's last night. Didn't get ID'd by the bouncer outside, but one just inside the door asked me how old I was. "Nineteen" I replied and he goes "Grand so!' and let's me in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dont mean to cause contraversy and what not but im 16 and i always get served smokes, and most of the time drink :)
    Do you have a knacker tash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I got asked for ID twice yesterday (buying wine then later going into The Bernard Shaw), and I'm 23:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TorresDaLegend

Aidric wrote: »
    Do you have a knacker tash?

A what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm 25 and get asked more often than I'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm 20 and last week in Tesco I was buying a bottle of wine. The guy asked me for ID so I showed him my driving license. He then asked me did I have any other ID. Showed him my passport and two student cards. He wouldn't serve me still so I asked to see a manager. I was told the manager was on his break so I waited. Eventually I got to see him and he told me that it's "Tesco policy" only to accept a grada ID. I asked him where it said this in the store and he told me in the alcohol section. I replied that it didn't, it simply said that people under 21 may be asked to present ID. He rudely dismissed me then, saying I didn't look over 18 because I had some purple in my hair!
    I asked for his name and rang Tesco customer services when I got home to complain. Guess who got 200 euro of Tesco vouchers?!!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Usually only get asked when I'm in the UK even then it's only every once in a while. Doesn't bother me at all...my friend who is a year older than me gets really upset and doesn't stop moaning about it and always says "yeah but, I'm older than you". I mean seriously, who gives a flip if you have to flash your ID for 3 seconds. Get a grip. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 galwaygirl0

I'm 25 and i've got asked for id more in the last couple of months than i have been in ages!

I got asked for id in tesco merrion while i was doing quite a big grocery shop with my boyfriend recently. The woman wanted garda id or a passport and that's all she would accept. There was a big queue behind us and they wouldn't accept a driving licence so after speaking to a manager they agreed to serve us but at that stage we just left!

To make it worse it happened again a few weeks after with a different woman,again we had shopping and a couple of bottles of wine. The woman in the end decided to serve us but asked were we going straight home!?!We were hardly going to crack open a bottle of wine in the carpark!!

Then a couple of weeks ago i got asked for id in supervalu when buying some food and a bottle of wine and when i didn't have id they wouldn't serve me.It was so humiliating,i wouldn't mind but i'm 7 years over the legal age limit!!!

I think they must be clamping down on id lately...some staff should seriously make a judgement though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i have a good one for you, i went to see terminator salvation today. its 12pg and im 18, i havent been asked for i.d. in the cinema since i was about 10. the guy asked me what ago i was! i was shocked and offended. i told him and he kinda looked at me with a oh-damn-this-is-akward-look, i dont know if its cause i looked like a 12 year old or because he wanted to know how to charge my ticket. based on his look, i think its the first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I get asked for ID even though I'm twenty. I'm tiny and have the face of a small child.

My brother's girlfriend is often asked for ID, she's 19 but only 5'0" so is assumed to be much younger, one person even accused her ID of being fake. Yet my 16 year old sister is never asked for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The reason why Tesco are anal about ID is that they are mystery shopped every month. But not accepting a passport is stupid IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Novella wrote: »
    Guess who got 200 euro of Tesco vouchers?!!!! :)
    Just don't spend them on alcohol unless you have a Garda ID with you. :p

Advertisement