Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Having said that, I couldn't imagine having no I.D. whatsoever. I'd feel lost! And you need it for so many things: banks, houses etc how do you manage?

another good point? do you have a bank account neesa?

you'd need id for that and a utility bill?

so no id = no bank account?

how do you survive?

answering the OP:

i get asked for id, only when i have just shaven, if i have a little bit of stubble 1/2 days growth i won't get asked i'm 22 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

When I was working in Dunnes, we were told to ask for ID from anybody that looked under 25... Just don't get it tbh

Adiboo wrote: »
    When I was working in Dunnes, we were told to ask for ID from anybody that looked under 25... Just don't get it tbh
    it's easy enough to understand.

if they are caught selling to under 18's they'll be ass raped by the government/parents/the 50 etc.

it's just called being over cautious.

tbh i don't get the big deal, "OMG someone thinks i'm younger than i actually am, call the freaking drama police tbh".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

it's easy enough to understand.

if they are caught selling to under 18's they'll be ass raped by the government etc.

it's just called being over cautious.

tbh i don't get the big deal, "OMG someone thinks i'm younger than i actually am, call the freaking drama police tbh".

It IS insulting when you're in you mid twenties and somebody thinks you're not even 18!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

How about being asked when you're in your 30's. Happened to me twice, once in an off-licence (discussed it with the manager and it was all ok, second time heading to a club, just showed work id and all was grand). The look of amusement on my face probably helped.

Hasn't happened in a while...must be the stress.

• Advertisement

It IS insulting when you're in you mid twenties and somebody thinks you're not even 18!!
    seriously how is it?

i think it's great that someone thinks i'm younger than i am.

and tbh they probably know you are over 18, but they are on camera for the whole time they work, they know that every single action they take is being watched. if they are told to ask for id then they have to.

tbh i would have thought women would love to be mistaken as being younger than they are considering all the anti-aging cream **** that's marketed towards you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Don't worry, just wait till you're all a bit older and they don't ask you anymore. Then it's not annoying, it's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I get carded a bit, its the BEST feeling not getting carded sometimes, not really sure why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I used to work in a off license and occasionally carded people who were in their late twenties and once or twice thirties.

The way some people react when they are asked is really bad. I had one guy threaten to wait for me until I'd finished work because I wouldn't serve him without ID. Apparently he was 25 but looked about 21 and the store policy was to ask anyone who looked under 23.

The reason you keep to that is because if you do accidentally serve someone under 18, you'll get fired and the store will get a fine if they are caught serving to under under eighteens.

For anyone who does get asked and doesn't have any, always be polite to the guy serving you. If you look genuinely shocked and are nice about it you might get served and you might be remembered and not be asked next time.
    If you're an asshole about it, you won't get served and will be remembered. Then every time you come into the shop you will be asked for ID.

For myself, the last time was about 3 years ago, which is the last time I didn't have a beard too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

if they don't ask i feel like i'm an old **** inches away from death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mairt wrote: »
    Looking for my laminator the other day, couldn't find it anywhere.

So I asked my son has he seen it, red faced he 'fessed up that its broken :mad:

So I asked to look at it, disassembled it and found he's been making fake ID's for his buddies - there was the reminants of one lads ID wrapped and melted around the rollers.

I asked to see some other's, and have to give him credit where its due - they're deadly!.

Oh sorry, yea the little fucker!..

What kind of ID's was/is he making????

Did you get him his own laminator???? Does he charge his mates for them??? I hope he is handing up money at home if he is Charging his mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

its the main reason i never took up smoking. I was always too self concious in case i was asked for id, so i never bought a pack.
    The worst case with me was going into a 15's film years ago. Enemy at the gates i think. I was 21 at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I got asked for it in Dunnes when buying booze at Christmas. I am six foot four, I am twenty one, and I have a beard. She wouldn't accept my student ID either, despite the fact that it had a picture and birthdate on it, surely that would have been sufficient for most people, but not her. I was civil, smiled and accepted my fate. In the car on the way home I stewed about it, big time. An hour later, and I'd seen the funny side. I still do, I just think that it was ridiculous. I'm lucky in that I don't get carded often, and I find that if you act like you aren't going to be asked, that definitely does help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Never get asked for i.d, but when I used to shop in Tesco I would get asked regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I havent been asked for me ID since I was 16. Everyone always thinks im older than i am.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Most local off licenses are ok imo, some will ask for ID, but will be more lenient on the type as I've found (They will accept DIT student ID, I.e a card with photo of me on it and DOB :pac:), Spars and Centras seem to be less strict too, however Tescos or Dunnes and the likes are another story... I've heard of people been refused buying alcohol there with passport ID! My local offie doesn't ask me but they would know me by now, I'm 20 btw :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I used to get asked all the time, haven't been asked in ages though amazinginly, i've even fooled people into thinking i'm 15 even though i'm 21, we admitted I wasn't 15 later on but asked them how old they thought i was and they usually reply with "17?"

Last time i was asked i was with a friend who is 26, we were buying drink in Tescos, i left my drink with him and went to the toilet.. came back to buy more drink for a mate who had rang me and then got turned away, had to get my mate to go back in and buy it for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm 25 and I always get asked for ID when I go out :( Maybe I should be happy about it, but I think its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

If it's for beer I don't mind having to show id as I look younger than I am but a lot of the girls I chat to say that I make them feel like a pedophile as I look about 10 when in reality I am 25 with a bushy beard and hair as wild as the moors of Scotland.

ohh tesco's are awful gob****es.

i once got refused there under the following.

clerk: id please?

me: sure, hands passport. sorry we only accept garda id.
    me: hands over driving license. sorry garda id only.
    me: hands over credit card. sorry garda id only.
    me: hands over work id (with DOB and photo). sorry garda id only.
    me: last ditched effort i hand over a duty free receipt that i got when i bought stuff in stockholm airport dury free (was alcohol too) that very day, and a boarding pass for said flight. sorry garda id only.

what made it a little worse was the guy serving me knew me from school, he was two years below me and he actually greeted me by name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

I got asked for ID there the other day, buying an 18s DVD in HMV!
    I'm 19, by the way..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Garda ID only? Is that not only for under 23's or so? I thought it was illegal to refuse a passport as a form of ID? Not likely to happen to me now at my beer bellied 32 year old present, but I still get asked regularly (although not all the time) when I visit the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I haven't been carded in ages but i was once carded in Molloy's in santry. They charged me to check my garda ID. It was two 5c transactions. Didn't realise till i return to my mate's house.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ohh tesco's are awful gob****es.

i once got refused there under the following.

clerk: id please?

me: sure, hands passport. sorry we only accept garda id.
    me: hands over driving license. sorry garda id only.
    me: hands over credit card. sorry garda id only.
    me: hands over work id (with DOB and photo). sorry garda id only.
    me: last ditched effort i hand over a duty free receipt that i got when i bought stuff in stockholm airport dury free (was alcohol too) that very day, and a boarding pass for said flight. sorry garda id only.

what made it a little worse was the guy serving me knew me from school, he was two years below me and he actually greeted me by name.

Your not the only one lol, Read my above post, If I was in that situation I'd say, do you honestly think a passport is easier to forge than a garda id :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am 32, and get carded a lot. I know I look young for my age, but not THAT young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

You think that's bad? I was in HMV last summer and was asked for I.D for buying Scarface. Then it happened again two weeks later buying City of God. I'm 21 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Neesa wrote: »
    You're being sarcastic, right??! Or in your world is it easier to apply for a passport (I don't drive so Driver's License is out), pay €75 for the passport (and €6 - €8 for passport photos), wait 6 weeks (at least) in order to recieve passport (unless you want to pay extra), then go to garda station and fill in National ID form, another €6 - €8 for more photos (it's a bad idea to use the same photo on two forms of ID), wait another 8 weeks (excluding backlog) for the National ID to come through...

You're being sarcastic right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Was asked for ID in SuperValu two weeks ago and was genuinely taken aback. I'd occasionally be asked going into nightclubs but generally I would go into town with no ID and if I'm asked I say I don't carry ID, I'm 23 but definitely look my age and dress well. The girl in SuperValu said I look 17, she was in her 40's and I used work in a local bar 4 years ago when I was 19 and I used serve her!

Mr.S wrote: »
    apparently, the deal with the Tesco only accepting Garda ID, is that some people have 10 year passports, so for example, their 22, and using a passport that was issued when they where 13 (so the picture looks nothing like them), so anyone who looks remotley like the picture (same skin color, hair etc) could get away with taking someones 10 year passport.

So they enforce Garda ID only, which is issued when your 18+, so theres a bigger chance that the picture looks a lot more like your current state.
    that's true about the passport but the first garda id i got when i was 18, i had a hair style and beard that resembled this a bit shorter on the beard though:

http://www.biffyclyro.info/images/gallery/Biffy-Clyro-8.jpg

now i've a shaven head and face. and look nothing a like, and that's only 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr.S wrote: »
    apparently, the deal with the Tesco only accepting Garda ID, is that some people have 10 year passports, so for example, their 22, and using a passport that was issued when they where 13 (so the picture looks nothing like them), so anyone who looks remotley like the picture (same skin color, hair etc) could get away with taking someones 10 year passport.

So they enforce Garda ID only, which is issued when your 18+, so theres a bigger chance that the picture looks a lot more like your current state.

Don't you have to get a passport reissued at approx 16 if you had one before that age? Sure that I only ever had 5 year passports when I was younger than 16 as well, it was a long time ago now though so my memory may be playing tricks on me.

Advertisement